Is it actually bad for the ufc to have dominant champions? ( Money wise)

Bangkok ready d1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I was just thinking about this, gsp is the only dominant champion the ufc has ever had who was "kinda of a ppv star" and he had a country behind him.
Just looking at the flw division who also almost died cause they had a dominant champion amd lhw who didn't have interest for years. Is it actually bad for the ufc to have dominant champions?

Personally I like seeing dominate champions who take on all comers. Anderson Silva was dominate, the MW division thrived. When a champ is dominate, they get get a aura of invincibility that is exciting to watch. If it's a champ you like, you get nervous seeing if his time has come to finally lose. If you don't like the champ, you can't wait to see someone crush him. It also lends credibility to the guy who is champ, and I think that's good.

I was just thinking about this, gsp is the only dominant champion the ufc has ever had who was "kinda of a ppv star" and he had a country behind him.
Just looking at the flw division who also almost died cause they had a dominant champion amd lhw who didn't have interest for years. Is it actually bad for the ufc to have dominant champions?
It depends on the manner of dominance. I suspect a champion KO artist would be rather popular and pull in a lot of viewers. The UFC would like that.

Before you say Ngannou , he hasn't even defended yet, what to speak of going on a KO run as champ.

Dominant champs are good for the buisness because they can use it for promo, unless they have a few bad apples in their buisness that also helps promotion by showing their level of brain damage to the entire world and the mma media doesn't bring up that fact they just talk about how "cool" it was and blah blah.

Not if there exciting and ferociously finishing fights, ala Mr. Marty Usman...

I honestly don’t give a shit if he’s a draw or not, his fights are must watch
<{JustBleed}><{JustBleed}><{JustBleed}><{JustBleed}>

It depends.

Regardless of how good the opponents actually are, people want dominant champs to beat other fighters they *perceive* to be elite.
So if a about-to-be-dominant champion enters a division with many accomplished fighters and beats them, he'll be looked at as a better fighter than if another about-to-be-dominant champion came in the division early enough to prevent all the other guys from getting a belt in the first place.

That was always DJ's problem: had 125 been there before him, some fighters on his resume would've been looked at as better fighters since they may have been champ, even though they'd have been just as good as they were in reality.

Depends on the champ.
Exactly.

A guy like Usman who has the personality of a boiled potato is terrible. That is why the kept pushing Masvidal and now Colby lol.

Jones was a decent draw despite being a shitty human being. Nuganu could sell if he stops crying and ducking Lewis... they are trying of getting rid of BB for him. Khabib was a big draw... etc

It's not bad if there are credible challengers. Fans will buy into the next big challenge to possibly dethrone the king. If the champ is so dominant that nobody believes any of the contenders can win then that's not good. If they are legitimately pushing the champion and that champion continues to win through it all fans will keep buying in to inevitably see who gets it done. Dominant champions also become faces of the company which helps with their identity.

GPS juiced his way up. He aint dominant without magic cocktails.

You're forgetting about Ronda.

Do you know how fucked around the UFC would be right now if Conor never lost shit?

Nate
Mayweather
Khabib
Dustin

I think theyd be makin a bit more

It all depends who it is, not everyone is star regardless of the belt or how long someone holds on to it.

Did GSP, Jones and Andy were bad draws?

Just look at silva's tenure when he was dominant; he got a documentary, burger King advertising, tons of money and the stupid argument of being the goat above fedor (silva is MW goat).

Same with GSP, especially in Canada. But dana didn't promote them to the fullest because he wanted a obnoxious pos like Mcg to do his job AND that agreed with everything. Silva and GSP weren't that much of a bootlicker.

In many ways, yes, the majority of potential MMA fans need tension to enjoy what they're watching. And usually (but not always) that comes in the form of fighter generated man-drama.

A Silva wasn't exactly boring, but he wasn't as entertaining as some others. Fans flocked to Chael gleefully when they had the chance. Man-drama.

Jones wasn't as boring, but there's a reason the Rampage v Evans "black on black crime" sold better. Man-drama.

DJ is a different example. In this case there as no tension because he just calmly and with class dominated the division for years. Many found his dominance boring. The second there was competition, it became fun again. But there wasn't exactly man-drama, just more parity in the competition.

A dominant champ has pretty much always just meant a garbage division… so yes it’s very bad.

-ronda was a dominant champ for a bit but we knew it was only cause the division was shit

-dj was champ when the division was shit and ducked hard fights like TJ. Now DJ is losing to unknowns in ONEFC.

-Anderson Silva was the middleweight champ but we knew his wrestling sucked all along but the division had no good wrestlers because the division was shit and prime Andy would have been held down for 15-25 minutes all along. The shittiness of middleweight is the only reason Andy ruled it for so long

-WW was pretty meh when gsp ruled but it was way better than the other divisions compared here ..that ain’t saying much tho. Ww back then is still a joke compared to WW of today n overall pretty bad still. GSP still had easy nights out against people with awful takedown defense such as Dan Hardy.

Carlos conduit has the shittiest takedown defense in mma history n those are the kind of guys that were contenders during gsp’s reign.

Last edited:
Back