Is GSP vs Khabib the greatest fight the UFC could have ever made?

GSP is 40 years old, he's years past his prime.

GSP was too old

GSP vs Anderson would have been the best
GSP was in prime condition 3 years ago, he wasn't your average 37 year old, I mean even Rory MacDonald said recently that GSP is better now than he ever was. Could be that Rory has just regressed that much but I wouldn't put it past GSP to be in his prime at 37.

I don’t know but UFC is expert at making great fights never happen.

GSP was in prime condition 3 years ago, he wasn't your average 37 year old, I mean even Rory MacDonald said recently that GSP is better now than he ever was. Could be that Rory has just regressed that much but I wouldn't put it past GSP to be in his prime at 37.
It's possible, but if GSP lost there always would've been the excuse that he was older, he wasn't active so it's impossible to know where he was at

I don't read much into what fighters say happens in training, especially when it's Rory who clearly looks up to, and highly respects GSP

After GSP-Silva, I think it would have been Khabib-Ferguson any of the first 3 times they booked it before Tony turned 35. That was the only damn fight I cared about during that time. But Khabib v. Conrad was big too.

Of fights that actually happened, GSP vs. Penn 2 was massive back when both had that aura in their respective weight classes and BJ already had the WW title win vs. Hughes in his cap.

How is it numba wun boolshit? Look closer GSP clearly taps to strikes:

gif8.gif

GSP even said it himself in an Ariel interview that he tapped to Matt Serra in their first fight

Who do you have in that fight? I'd pick GSP to outwrestle Silva, however Silva could make it very very boring and outpoint GSP.
It’s a very very good question.
At the time the fight was at its peak interest, let’s say 2012, whilst I expect Georges could take Anderson down I am not confident GSP would have controlled Silva adequately enough on the ground.

So a big ask for GSP to outstrike Anderson, or repeatedly take him down the whole fight. So I edge toward Anderson, largely based on size and his power with single strikes; Georges was elite at not being hit, but once tagged he was not the greatest at just taking a shot and continuing on like nothing happened, and I think that’s the key here.

Impossible to say for sure though, of course.

GSP/Anderson at 185, or Anderson/Jones at 205 were the greatest fights that never happened, given the fact that they were all in their primes at the same time and the clear GOATS of their respective weight classes. Khabib/GSP would've been a level below IMO as it would have taken place well after GSP's prime, and Khabib never had the same prolongued level of dominance over his division as GSP/Anderson/Jones.

I mean think about it, two men who both beat everyone they faced in the Octagon, Khabib who almost never lost a round and GSP who almost never lost a round. Khabib who is the best fence wrestler the UFC has ever seen and GSP who is the best center of the Octagon wrestler the UFC has ever seen, there are so many variables that would be at play...

Could GSP take Khabib down? We know Khabib loves to chase people around the Octagon, applying relentless pressure, this would offer plenty of opportunities for reactive takedowns that GSP could land on Khabib. On the other hand, if the fight was against the fence, would GSP be able to resist Khabib?

This is such an incredible matchup and it makes me so sad that we will never see it, it just dawned on me that it could have been the biggest fight in MMA history and the most intriguing one. It really is sad that it didn't happen just because UFC had different plans for Khabib...

Anyway I think GSP would have won the fight 49-46, giving up one round where Khabib manages to take him down next to the fence.
If we could have had them both in there primes at the same time then yes, but that was impossible so no.

How is it numba wun boolshit? Look closer GSP clearly taps to strikes:

gif8.gif

GSP even said it himself in an Ariel interview that he tapped to Matt Serra in their first fight
No one is saying he didn't.

It's just completely irrelevant to the conversation. GSP never lost again and went on to be the GOAT. Haters cling to that gif like it means something, but all it does is make them look pathetic.

No one is saying he didn't.

It's just completely irrelevant to the conversation. GSP never lost again and went on to be the GOAT. Haters cling to that gif like it means something, but all it does is make them look pathetic.

Nah bro, Khabib would trash GSP like garbage especially at 40 years. Goats don't tap to strikes on their first title defense

Nah bro, Khabib would trash GSP like garbage especially at 40 years. Goats don't tap to strikes on their first title defense
Khabib would get jabbed into Bolivian. His striking was amateur level, and his wrestling looked amazing against non-wrestlers.

GSP cleaned out his division.
Khabib fought guys like Darrell Horcher and Al Iaquinta.

You are obviously a new fan, so you get a pass.

Khabib would get jabbed into Bolivian. His striking was amateur level, and his wrestling looked amazing against non-wrestlers.

GSP cleaned out his division.
Khabib fought guys like Darrell Horcher and Al Iaquinta.

You are obviously a new fan, so you get a pass.
Khabibs striking isn't amateur at all, its improved greatly. GSP fought better opponents, but he also lost to Serra who's an Al Iaquinta type fighter.

Khabibs striking isn't amateur at all, its improved greatly. GSP fought better opponents, but he also lost to Serra who's an Al Iaquinta type fighter.
Yeah I was mostly just messing with that guy. Khabib is a great fighter.

Yeah I was mostly just messing with that guy. Khabib is a great fighter.
I would love to see this match up, but I would really wonder what GSPs strategy would be. Stuff his takedowns and keep it standing? Try and take him down? Its sad it never happened

Obviously not. GSP is years past his prime even if he is still great. He never looked the same after testing his ACL.

The greatest fight they could have made is obviously GSP VS Anderson in 2008-2009. Both looked unstoppable, both already GOAT contenders. Anderson was bigger and more dangerous, but GSP was stylistically perfect to beat him.

Back