Is gsp vs Hendricks still the most controversial fight of all time ?

Nobody clearly won that fight under the scoring rules. This fight illustrates why the 10-9 must system sucks for MMA.

Because the first 3 rounds were so incredibly close you could very easily argue either guy won any number of those rounds by the skin of their teeth.

However the final two rounds were Shogun's beyond a shadow of a doubt. It's literally impossible to argue Machida won either of those rounds. He was toast and getting battered without being able to return any meaningful offense.

While you could make an argument for either of them winning that fight, it really showed the flaws in the 10-9 must system.

Shogun clearly pulled away in the final two rounds after 3 rounds of incredibly close fighting.

Machida was on the wrong side of a surprisingly uncontroversial decision that highlighted the inherent flaws of the 10 point must system. He and Rampage fought two close, relatively uneventful rounds with Rampage the slightly more active, but then Machida had a big flurry in the third. Based on the scoring criteria, it’s an easily justifiable decision for rampage even though machida doled out significantly more damage.

Maybe if you are a complete ignorant retard Ts.

I’ve watched that fight so many times and originally I thought Hendricks won, but every time I saw the fight again it became clearer and clearer that gsp won.

No I just think GSP won the fight and didn't fail a test so I can't say he used PEDs without a ban. Looking at GSP these days I don't think he did use personally. I never said Johnny did either. I said he had a massive drop off post USADA and that I think it was in part to him becoming more technical as a striker and losing the ability to finish his shots.

It's the same with Hendricks, he never failed a test. Much like a few fighters I honestly think the IV ban hurt him the most, and he simply wasn't able to adapt because of it

Machida was on the wrong side of a surprisingly uncontroversial decision that highlighted the inherent flaws of the 10 point must system. He and Rampage fought two close, relatively uneventful rounds with Rampage the slightly more active, but then Machida had a big flurry in the third. Based on the scoring criteria, it’s an easily justifiable decision for rampage even though machida doled out significantly more damage.

I like the rounds and people losing if they don't push early enough. Why should someone win the fight because they had success late if they just cruised the rest of the fight. Rounds just mean we get 3-5 mini fights each fight.

Haha, I'm mostly trying to grind his gears. I actually thought gsp lost until I watched it a couple days later lol

No worries bro

It actually showed up in my memories feed from FB and at the time I thought GSP could very well lose the title. I knew even at the time it was close and said, GSPP may lose his belt tonight.

I like the rounds and people losing if they don't push early enough. Why should someone win the fight because they had success late if they just cruised the rest of the fight. Rounds just mean we get 3-5 mini fights each fight.[/QUOTE
I like the rounds and people losing if they don't push early enough. Why should someone win the fight because they had success late if they just cruised the rest of the fight. Rounds just mean we get 3-5 mini fights each fight.

I get you, but it seemed like a hollow victory seeing as rampage won by being slightly busier early and doing virtually no damage.

I haven't watched it in awhile, but the way I remember it, it had come down to the first round which was really close. The rounds Hendricks won were more definitive than the rounds GSP won, but no 10-8's...Also, if Hendricks did take the 5th round off (in a championship fight) that has to be bar-none some of the worst corner advice or fight iq.

I get you, but it seemed like a hollow victory seeing as rampage won by being slightly busier early and doing virtually no damage.

I completely agree but that's on fighters giving away the early rounds. If youu can put it on someone in the 3rd why not do it in the 1st and 2nd also? I hate fighters being all upset when they win the 3rd, but gave away the first two. You had 3 chances and you only went for it or won one of them. Different under Pride scoring obviously.

I completely agree but that's on fighters giving away the early rounds. If youu can put it on someone in the 3rd why not do it in the 1st and 2nd also? I hate fighters being all upset when they win the 3rd, but gave away the first two. You had 3 chances and you only went for it or won one of them. Different under Pride scoring obviously.

we just saw another example in the Brady Chiesa match. Brady clearly notched the first two rounds but the third round ended with Chiesa in full mount about ten seconds away from a finish. Yes, the fight was as clear a 29-28 as it gets under the scoring system but if we’re to take this as a simulation of a real fight, Chiesa would be deemed the winner.

we just saw another example in the Brady Chiesa match. Brady clearly notched the first two rounds but the third round ended with Chiesa in full mount about ten seconds away from a finish. Yes, the fight was as clear a 29-28 as it gets under the scoring system but if we’re to take this as a simulation of a real fight, Chiesa would be deemed the winner.

Yeah I didn't get to watch that but it sounds like it was the case. Worth a mention though is the 10 minute first round in Pride. It really favoured fighters getting out in front early as they had more time to work. The potential there is that these fighters that dominate the first 2 rouunds and get caught towards the end might have got a finish if they had 10 mins to work. I actually would prefer 2x10 min rounds with an option for an extra 5 if the first 2 are one a piece. Basically sudden death in the 3rd.
3x10 min rounds would be the best, but I think that works better in a title fight.

Maybe if you are a complete ignorant retard Ts.

I’ve watched that fight so many times and originally I thought Hendricks won, but every time I saw the fight again it became clearer and clearer that gsp won.
Yeah, I thought GSP won the first time I saw it but I felt it was close enough that it warranted an immediate rematch.

I remember thinking Brandon Vera got screwed Vs Couture pretty bad

Well yes the audience.
the thing is. The thing that really irked me besides owing it to Hendricks is I think he owed it to himself too.

Look, when Silva gave Chael a rematch and he won. He solidified in the audiences mind that when Chael won the entire fight, in the first fight, up until the submission that won Silva the fight, that that didn't count. It's like it erased what happened from history in a lot if not most peoples minds. That's the power of a definitive win in the rematch.

Do you see what I mean here?

See, I wanted to see the rematch, because I thought GSP won that fight as I watched it the first time.

I was pissed because the rematch would have cleared things up and he'd be able to give Hendricks his proper due from a position of confidence.

None of that steroids bullshit.

For me him doing that erased him from that title, the GOAT.

The GOAT would have beaten him, like he did, then settled the noise in the rematch without the need for the Steroid accusations and all that bullshit. It was like watching him decide to not be the GOAT because he lost belief in himself.

Last edited:
All comes down to the 1st round.

Strike numbers were dead even for that round, except the shots GSP landed was for points while you could clearly see a difference in impact when Johny landed.

10 hard shots scores more than 10 flicking jabs, old scoring, new scoring, doesn't matter. Johny won the 1st round and the overall fight.

Fun fact. out of US, UK, Australia, Canada, Brazil fans voting on who they thought won GSP vs Hendricks.

Hendricks was the majority vote in every single one of those countries except Canada lol I don't trust Canadian GSP fans to be objective at all now.

it's not even the most controversial GSP decision. GSP vs BJ 2 literally went to court and BJ got testimony from his mom!

Back