Is Gracie Academy a Good Deal?

Although I've been on Sherdog forever it seems, I've never been much of a poster, and at some point spent most of my time in the picture/multimedia section. In fact, I joined in August 2002, before any of my kids were even born! :)

Now I have five kids and as I've reinvigorated my interest in MMA, I've been thinking about some time of BJJ-type training for the family. We are short on money, so the idea of joining a local gym seems unlikely.

I came across Gracie University and it seemed like a potentially good program that I could use to get the whole family involved.

It's hard not to fall in love with Rener's passion for his "product"/art, but I I thought I'd reach out to Sherdog to see if the Gracie University was a good deal. Does anyone use it for him/herself or the family? Has it been beneficial?

Thanks in advance for any help!

where are you located? Gracie Jiu-Jitsu is everywhere now. DVD is great as a supplament, but it is not a substitute

BTW I have all the DVD's, they're great, but ignore the preachy parts about how their gym is the only one that teaches "the real" jiu-jitsu, and that is why all you need are their DVD's and a garage. that's a marketing gimmick. they're smart kids

Although I've been on Sherdog forever it seems, I've never been much of a poster, and at some point spent most of my time in the picture/multimedia section. In fact, I joined in August 2002, before any of my kids were even born! :)

Now I have five kids and as I've reinvigorated my interest in MMA, I've been thinking about some time of BJJ-type training for the family. We are short on money, so the idea of joining a local gym seems unlikely.

I came across Gracie University and it seemed like a potentially good program that I could use to get the whole family involved.

It's hard not to fall in love with Rener's passion for his "product"/art, but I I thought I'd reach out to Sherdog to see if the Gracie University was a good deal. Does anyone use it for him/herself or the family? Has it been beneficial?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Gracie University will be a bit rougher since its video teachings and grappling feels foreign to the individuals at first without instructors and a controlled environment. I'd highly recommend a school, I'm sure they'll work with you for pricing as they spread the gospel of BJJ (key example is Gracie Barra). BJJ is great self defense and a great confidence booster for kids and adults alike, so I'd recommend looking for a school. Gracie Academy is more self-defense oriented in the beginning, so that's their plus over some other schools.

BTW I have all the DVD's, they're great, but ignore the preachy parts about how their gym is the only one that teaches "the real" jiu-jitsu, and that is why all you need are their DVD's and a garage. that's a marketing gimmick. they're smart kids

Yeah. That's why I'm not a fan of "Gracie Jiu-Jitsu" and their annoying slogans like "Keep it playful" or things like that. However, their jiu-jitsu is obviously great. It's not "real jiu-jitsu," but Rener and Ryron are great practitioners with great passion for teaching and sharing.

If he gets the program for himself, his wife and kids can do it with him. That's 6 people sharing the knowledge for the price of one membership. Probably a much better deal than he's going to get at any gym.

The flexibility with schedule could be a blessing or a curse, depending on how motivated he is to train. For me, I need the structure of scheduled classes forcing me to set aside the time to train. If I could do it at my leisure I think life might get in the way too much to make good progress. Your mileage, of course, may vary.

As much as this may be a good deal, remember that you get what you pay for. The advancement won't be as fast learning from videos with the wife as it would be joining a gym and getting smashed on by some purple belts.

But if you're just in it to get some light exercise, learn a little bit of BJJ, and have fun? I say go for it. People here will tell you to just join a gym, but many fail to realize that the choice isn't always "GU vs real gym", it's often "GU vs don't train at all".

where are you located? Gracie Jiu-Jitsu is everywhere now. DVD is great as a supplament, but it is not a substitute

Goat Gobbler -- I'm in Omaha, NE...I am aware of MMA and a specific BJJ school under Rodrigo Vaghi (though I think he's only there a handful of times a year)

If he gets the program for himself, his wife and kids can do it with him. That's 6 people sharing the knowledge for the price of one membership. Probably a much better deal than he's going to get at any gym.

The flexibility with schedule could be a blessing or a curse, depending on how motivated he is to train. For me, I need the structure of scheduled classes forcing me to set aside the time to train. If I could do it at my leisure I think life might get in the way too much to make good progress. Your mileage, of course, may vary.

As much as this may be a good deal, remember that you get what you pay for. The advancement won't be as fast learning from videos with the wife as it would be joining a gym and getting smashed on by some purple belts.

But if you're just in it to get some light exercise, learn a little bit of BJJ, and have fun? I say go for it. People here will tell you to just join a gym, but many fail to realize that the choice isn't always "GU vs real gym", it's often "GU vs don't train at all".

I think KGB captured my situation perfectly. I could definitely see really needing that schedule to keep us all motivated, but cost and convenience may overrule other considerations.

I am glad I took the time to ask, because I got great feedback to mull over.

Goat Gobbler -- I'm in Omaha, NE...I am aware of MMA and a specific BJJ school under Rodrigo Vaghi (though I think he's only there a handful of times a year)

Have you look in the Gracie academy data base for any Gracie garage location near you?

Back