Is DC in danger of entering Rashad territory?

Macalpinerules

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
DC has been pretty vocal about how much emotion he has tied into his fight with Jones. He's made comments like "I can't live knowing that Jon is better than me at this sport so I have to win". My question is this: Is Cormier setting himself up to become the next Rashad? Remember how much emotion and weight Rashad put into his fight with Jones? And then after he lost he all but retired. Rashad lost more than a fight that night, he lost his will also. Rashad was never the same and has pretty much become a retired fighter, fighting only here and there to collect checks while putting on halfhearted performances. I really think Cormier will enter Rashad Territory if he loses. If Jones wins, I think it's safe to say we've seen the best of DC and he will go into a tailspin and rapid decline.

Take it easy. Just watch the fight tomorrow.

"Jones has set himself up for a fall, that i don't think he can take"
- Rashad Evans.

The Evans/Jones thing was kinda sad really. Greg Jackson, the man who made Rashad succesful in the cage, turned on him. Greg was his everything and kinda "abandonned" Rashad and chosed the more promising guy.

I don't think so. Rashad already won and lost a championship then got blown out by the champ. DC just by virtue of being undefeated has a lot more options going forward from a loss, and unless he's just absolutely throttled by Jones, which I don't see happening, a rematch likely will not be out of the question. He could always go back up to HW as well, even though he said he's staying at LHW.

well it's not about Jones, it's about the pinnacle, which is the belt. Maybe he'll go back to HW and play #2 for awhile. I doubt he gives up on his career if he loses.

Calm down and enjoy the fight... See what happens

"Jones has set himself up for a fall, that i don't think he can take"
- Rashad Evans.

The Evans/Jones thing was kinda sad really. Greg Jackson, the man who made Rashad succesful in the cage, turned on him. Greg was his everything and kinda "abandonned" Rashad and chosed the more promising guy.

That's revisionist history. Greg Jackson would never have turned on Rashad if he didn't leave the camp. It was Rashad who just threw a tantrum when Jon said he "would fight him if he needed to", which shows the real will of a champion.

Sure Jackson welcomed Jones to the camp (with Rashad's approval) and put a lot of time on him but it was Rashad who abandoned the Jackson gym when there was no fight set up yet. Once Rashad was gone and working with another camp, Greg Jackson just put all his time on Jon, just like he did with Rashad years earlier until he left with a broken ego.

Greg had no morale obligation not to train Jones when the Rashad fight was set up because Rashad was already gone and had "founded" his own camp. Sure you can blame Jon for taking the title fight against Shogun when Rashad was injured but this is MMA, it's not a team sport.

Jon got presented with the chance of a lifetime, took it and went along with it as a real champion. Rashad was champion too but unfortunately for him, things turned out bad when he try to defend the belt. In a way, Rashad was jealous of Jon not only winning the belt but also defending it against his bitter rival Rampage and his nemesis Machida.

Think about it, what a humiliating stab that must have been for Rashad when he also lost the fight to Jon in the end...

He's 35. I don't see him having a particularly extensive career, win or lose.

I also feel that the DC that beat Barnett might well have been the best DC we'll ever see.

That's revisionist history. Greg Jackson would never have turned on Rashad if he didn't leave the camp. It was Rashad who just threw a tantrum when Jon said he "would fight him if he needed to", which shows the real will of a champion.

Sure Jackson welcomed Jones to the camp (with Rashad's approval) and put a lot of time on him but it was Rashad who abandoned the Jackson gym when there was no fight set up yet. Once Rashad was gone and working with another camp, Greg Jackson just put all his time on Jon, just like he did with Rashad years earlier until he left with a broken ego.

Greg had no morale obligation not to train Jones when the Rashad fight was set up because Rashad was already gone and had "founded" his own camp. Sure you can blame Jon for taking the title fight against Shogun when Rashad was injured but this is MMA, it's not a team sport.

Jon got presented with the chance of a lifetime, took it and went along with it as a real champion. Rashad was champion too but unfortunately for him, things turned out bad when he try to defend the belt. In a way, Rashad was jealous of Jon not only winning the belt but also defending it against his bitter rival Rampage and his nemesis Machida.

Think about it, what a humiliating stab that must have been for Rashad when he also lost the fight to Jon in the end...

Perfectly put.. Also remember these gyms are
businesses, for them to be a stable of a UFC champion is huge for them.

Back