Is Cowboy's Takedown defense skewed?

Charlestonboy

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
He has the second best TDD at Lightweight but has never faced an elite wrestler in the UFC. The best wrestler he faced was probably Guillard who was a state champ (but didn't wrestle him and fight was so short). All his other opponents only wrestled briefly in high school or college without earning any credentials.

So is his TDD skewed as his wrestling has never been truly tested in the UFC? The Benson fight will be the answer.

He has the second best TDD at Lightweight but has never faced an elite wrestler in the UFC. The best wrestler he faced was probably Guillard who was a state champ (but didn't wrestle him and fight was so short). All his other opponents only wrestled briefly in high school or college without earning any credentials.

So is his TDD skewed as his wrestling has never been truly tested in the UFC? The Benson fight will be the answer.

In the first fight with Benson, Cowboy started by being taken down at will, almost, although he almost subbed Benson in the process. Later in the fight, however, he started stuffing every one (it was five rounds). His TD defense has gotten a lot better since then though.

Everybody is forgetting The fact that Cowboy stuffed all takedown attempts of bendo after round 3 in their first match. Cerrone won that fight in my books.

Its scary how good he gets in the later rounds. He was even turning it on against diaz at the end.

Thats why Its a shame it wont be 5 rounds against ben now.

Even when he is taken down, dude has a dangerous sub game, so it's not really too much of an issue any way one looks at it imho.

Most sports stats are somewhat skewed like that. All you can do is measure how a guy fought against the guys he has faced.

He outwrestled Varner in wec who is a better wrestler than Melvin. Jamie was also outwrestling Bendo until the sub. Varner was overall a great fighter before the eventual downfall.

He doesn't sprawl if he tries to submit the guy, if he fails to do that he starts sprawling it seems.

I wouldn't say they are skewed. That is how statistics with relatively few variables work.

His TDD is really good. He's tall, has great hips, really knows how to sprawl on guys. Look at him stuff Varner in their rematch. Looked good against Jury as well.

Benson will take him down at will and win this fight 100%.

Cerrone has no chance in a 3 round fight against Bendo.

Bendo will play it safe and LnP.

He doesn't sprawl if he tries to submit the guy, if he fails to do that he starts sprawling it seems.

80545-Jack-Nicholson-nodding-gif-Img-P7l1.gif

He's kinda like condit doesn't mind fighting off his back, not scared to throw kicks

You're right, but his wrestling has improved leaps and bounds since the Benson fights. His last fight vs Varner is when he really started putting it on display, and it's only improved since then.

Benson will take him down at will and win this fight 100%.

Cerrone has no chance in a 3 round fight against Bendo.

Bendo will play it safe and LnP.

Yeah right in the past 3 years when has Ben's wrestling looked good at all? I want to say since the Miller fight his wrestling game offensively and defensively has declined and he's had to resort to wall n stall because he can't get the takedown.

He can still beat Cowboy but it's not going to be by his takedown ability.

Yeah right in the past 3 years when has Ben's wrestling looked good at all? I want to say since the Miller fight his wrestling game offensively and defensively has declined and he's had to resort to wall n stall because he can't get the takedown.

Khabilov could get him down but not keep him there. That's impressive to me.

No,but ben's is. Rda wrestling is as good or even better as ben's
Idk why people overrat ben's wrestling when he got outwrestled many times in ufc
Check out his fights with bocek,frankiex2,josh,gil and rustam
Dude doesnt have that good tdd andd cerrone will take him down. He is not only a striker anymore

This. He is overrated when it comes to tdd

I feel like he's crafty and let's people take him down occasionally, like Werdum except not obviously flopping. Guess you could say the same about a lot of guys e.g. Macgregor never facing a wrestler.

I still feel it's valid, GSP has no credentials, Jones has less than Cormier, Rashad less than Phil Davis. MMA wrestling is a whole different animal.

Wrestling isn't just takedowns. Bendo has great TDD, he did just fine against Edgar, punching him full force while hopping on 1 leg. Wall n stall is wrestling too, it's a tactic to grind out people who don't have as much cardio (pretty much nobody at LW has the same cardio as bendo)

never faced an elite wrestling??

lets start hating on him then like mcgregor

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back