Is Conor taking the Nate fight a bad business decision for him?

Combat Wombatt

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
I love the fact that Conor is willing to take on Nate at WW (some may say that he ducked Khabib, either way, he's taking on a dangerous opponent). That's a big jump against an opponent with a size and reach advantage who is also a striker. Nate also has a dangerous ground game and we haven't seen great ground defense from Nate. I have a feeling if Nate got Conor down and Nate's on top or even bottom it wouldn't be long before he had Conor tapping.

Conor had big money fights with RDA, Frankie, and Aldo lined up in the future. A Conor loss would take away his undefeated status in the UFC and obviously drop some of his marketability, even it if was in a higher weight class. If Conor loses far less people may pay to see him fight Lawlor or RDA and only want him to fight at FW.

Conor could have just dropped out also and waited to fight RDA when RDA was heeled or fight Frankie or Aldo (rematch) eventually.

Do you think Conor taking the Nate fight is a bad business decision?

I say it's all about the outcome of the fight. If Conor wins people say of course Conor can fight at FW, LW, and WW. If Conor loses people may say he needs to stay at FW and has no business fighting at LW and WW.

given the circumstance, no it's not a bad business decision. especially because he should definitely beat a nate diaz that has two weeks notice. but the fight will be hyped well. people will tune in for the shit talking. and that'll translate into lotsa $ for that annoying irish dork.

Ill answer that question in a few days lol

It's risky but it's a warm up to see how he feels at 170 and he will make millions. If he loses, he's still champion and can still try for 155. It's a test for sure.

bad? no, a win over Nate would solidify and legitimize his LW title shot (it was gifted title shot prior to this).

worse than had it been RDA, definitely. RDA was for the belt.

If he beats him it's the perfect set up for fighting Lawler at UFC 200.

It's smart.

I love the fact that Conor is willing to take on Nate at WW (some may say that he ducked Khabib, either way, he's taking on a dangerous opponent). That's a big jump against an opponent with a size and reach advantage who is also a striker. Nate also has a dangerous ground game and we haven't seen great ground defense from Nate. I have a feeling if Nate got Conor down and Nate's on top or even bottom it wouldn't be long before he had Conor tapping.

Conor had big money fights with RDA, Frankie, and Aldo lined up in the future. A Conor loss would take away his undefeated status in the UFC and obviously drop some of his marketability, even it if was in a higher weight class. If Conor loses far less people may pay to see him fight Lawlor or RDA and only want him to fight at FW.

Conor could have just dropped out also and waited to fight RDA when RDA was heeled or fight Frankie or Aldo (rematch) eventually.

Do you think Conor taking the Nate fight is a bad business decision?

I say it's all about the outcome of the fight. If Conor wins people say of course Conor can fight at FW, LW, and WW. If Conor loses people may say he needs to stay at FW and has no business fighting at LW and WW.

This is one big costume drama.
Conor gives Nate an opportunity.
I don't think it's bad business. McG hasn't decided to wait for RTA (road traffic accident) so will keep his impetus going. He'll probably win quite dramatically too - not threatening his position as arguably the division's best and increase his highlight showreel at the same time.
He may also increase his fan base as everybody loves watching a real banger.....
Add to that the trash talk and the recipe is there for.

Nope. Conor will make millions from this fight. In business if you make millions you are doing the right thing. There is always risk in losing you cant be afriad not to take a fight. Lastly people watch conor fight its doesnt matter who his opponent is, frankie, aldo etc are not big fights, only since they are vs conor are they worth anything.

Nope. Conor will make millions from this fight. In business if you make millions you are doing the right thing. There is always risk in losing you cant be afriad not to take a fight. Lastly people watch conor fight its doesnt matter who his opponent is, frankie, aldo etc are not big fights, only since they are vs conor are they worth anything.

You don't want to think short term. He could make money on this fight but lose the big money if he loses and doesn't fight RDA or Lawler.

Conor's belt isn't on the line and the fight isn't in his usual weight classes, he has nothing to lose.

You don't want to think short term. He could make money on this fight but lose the big money if he loses and doesn't fight RDA or Lawler.

The is a flaw in your argument. Conor is like to make MORE off of this fight that he would have fighting RDA That is why he picked Nate, he wanted a better draw.

I don't think it matters.
The ufc love Conor, he'll be looked after

Easy 5-10 million dollars to beat up a stuck in the mud Diaz?

Lol

Seems to me like Nate knew he was the backup and was willing to fight at 155.

My guess is that the UFC insisted on 170 to give conor an excuse if he lost and keep his challenge for the 155lb title still marketable.

Depends on his time preference when it comes to money.

He will still be a big draw with a loss - he's still the FW champion.

Not getting a 10 million dollar payday when you spend like Conor does would be almost as terrible of a business decision as the spending itself.

takin it at 170 to convienience nate was a bad move

Fuck "business."

GSP was "business" oriented and because of that we were treated to judge's decisions and deprived of super fights.

Win or lose, Conor's stock goes up in my book.

A fighter who takes on all comers irrespective of weight class with minimal notice and stays active is a fan's dream come true.

He's fighting another LW fighter @ 170. He's not fighting a WW fighter. Conor has nothing to lose. If Nate is somehow able to pull off the win, the UFC and Conor will just come back and say that Conor is a FW who bravely took on a WW to save the card.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back