Is Cody a better technical fighter than TJ?

DysDave

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
And on a related note, can a fighter lose 2 fights without controversy and still be considered to perhaps have the tools to win?

First up, TJ won both fights relatively convincingly. TJ seems to be a better all-round fighter, and at this point you can't really make many arguments for Cody winning a third- it's doubtful he has it in him. But watching them fight, TJ seemed to win more through superior fight IQ, gameplanning and focus rather than simply being the better fighter.

Cody, all antics aside, truly looked a lot crisper and faster with his hands. He was beating TJ to the punch in both fights, stunned him in both fights, and honestly looked to have the superior technique- but for whatever reason he shit the bed and starting swinging wildly as soon as TJ looked a little hurt. Had he stuck to his guns, countered and waited for a real opening instead of trying to finish so fast I think he could have got it done.

On a similar note, Cody just took Cruz apart and made him look like a rank amateur- some people think TJ beat Cruz, but even if you believe that it was a super tight fight with little between them.

I don't much care for Cody or TJ, but I gotta say that Cody still looks to have the cleanest boxing in MMA- possibly better than Conors even. It's frustrating to see him throw away what honestly looked like a winnable fight through a simple lack of fight IQ and temper.

I don't much care for Cody or TJ, but I gotta say that Cody still looks to have the cleanest boxing in MMA- possibly better than Conors even.

You can't actually believe that.

Absolutely no...
Tj has superior skills and a way better fight iq obviously..
It's why he leathered Cody twice..

Mayyyybeeeeee better offensive technique, but obviously not defensive

Conor has far better boxing than Cody.

No.

Technically TJ outclassed him.

Better striking, more well rounded, better game plan/fight IQ.
Doesn't get emotional.

TJ > Cody.

Eating 3 consecutive right hooks in a row though...

Let me go check their last two fights real quick. I'll come back with the answer.

TJ is better, technically. At least, he’s better defensively. Cody is fast and definitely has power. Unfortunately, for him, he throws everything else out the window when fighting TJ. He didn’t learn from their first encounter. TJ has him shook mentally and can goade Cody into a firefight. TJ counters so well and knows Cody’s style.

Cody has the tools to win, but not the mental fortitude to stay calm or gameplan.

what in the fuck, no...

jesus.

TJ is the better fighter period, cody is essentially a super fast brawler, basically throws nothing but hooks to the head.

Even if Cody has better hands, it takes a lot more than that in MMA

He's definitely not more skilled overall, no

And on a related note, can a fighter lose 2 fights without controversy and still be considered to perhaps have the tools to win?

First up, TJ won both fights relatively convincingly. TJ seems to be a better all-round fighter, and at this point you can't really make many arguments for Cody winning a third- it's doubtful he has it in him. But watching them fight, TJ seemed to win more through superior fight IQ, gameplanning and focus rather than simply being the better fighter.

Cody, all antics aside, truly looked a lot crisper and faster with his hands. He was beating TJ to the punch in both fights, stunned him in both fights, and honestly looked to have the superior technique- but for whatever reason he shit the bed and starting swinging wildly as soon as TJ looked a little hurt. Had he stuck to his guns, countered and waited for a real opening instead of trying to finish so fast I think he could have got it done.

On a similar note, Cody just took Cruz apart and made him look like a rank amateur- some people think TJ beat Cruz, but even if you believe that it was a super tight fight with little between them.

I don't much care for Cody or TJ, but I gotta say that Cody still looks to have the cleanest boxing in MMA- possibly better than Conors even. It's frustrating to see him throw away what honestly looked like a winnable fight through a simple lack of fight IQ and temper.
yeah, he has better boxing and his foot work looked really good against Cruz, but when he gets into those wild exchanges, he drops his guard, I feel if he just pulled back a bit and maintained his emotions he could have beaten TJ,

Faster hands does not mean better technique. Cody has meh defense and stands to flat footed when he is on the attack. He is decent at countering but is way to open to counters himself when he goes forward.

god no.

TJ was always better technically, and Cody was a heavy hitter. that was the chess game; can technique beat power?

and then it turns out TJ is even more of a heavy hitter than Cody. whoops.

and if you think by the transitive property that makes Cody more technical than TJ, then you don't understand the transitive property ;)

it was almost like Fedor beating Nog on the ground. no one expected that. doesn't make Nog a better stand up fighter than Fedor, heh.

Back