Is Cleto Reyes A Bag Glove?

tomhanks

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
The Question:

Is the Cleto Reyes Training Glove (E614) a good choice for a Bag/Mitts/DE workhorse?

Some Background: This forum led me into a pair of Fairtex BGV-9 Mexican Style Gloves (16oz) a few years back. Over the moon about them. Loved the long cuff. Loved the padding. Loved the hand / knuckle / contact position. Sadly they are on their way out. So far, they are the only mexican style glove I have used. With them on their death throws, I want to find a fitting replacement. My first thought was of their spiritual predecessor, the Reyes training glove. Would go and pick up another pair of Fairfax but my fingers are long for the pocket. Small enough of an issue that its never discouraged me from using the gloves. Never made me think to replace them. But not small enough to dump another 100$ into. Also, your on the gear forum too. So you know. Want something new to play with.

Cleto Confusion: I have an excellent pair of soft IMF top boxer gloves for sparring. I am looking for a glove that will take care of the rest. Willing to put down winning money on the deal, but want a glove that will feel like my dying Fairtexs. I keep reading mixed things about Reyes as a bag glove. People write that the padding is too soft or light for the bag. Then another post about them being too aggressive to spar with. These will see no ring time. Are 14oz Reyes training gloves gonna fit the bill?

Would appreciate hearing from owners.

Last edited:
I find the trainers to be fine for the bag, if not a little soft. They are pretty good. I do feel the the fit cuff are superior. I feel more comfortable sparring in the fit cuff than he regular trainers. The padding feels good enough that I would trust if for the bag.

Cleto trainers (newer version/white thumb) are going to feel world's apart from your BGV9's. The BGV9 was patterned after the original reyes trainers (solid color) rather than the soft foam Cletos that are on the market today. I own both fairtex and Cletos and to be honest I prefer my 9's on the bags and pads and my Cletos for light sparring.

Thank you both. Min/Max - read your review of the 9's, think were in the same camp for appreciation.

Is the fit cuff an answer or a compromise? Guessing by the sizing designations (XS/S/M/L) they are intended for training / not sparring.

Thank you both. Min/Max - read your review of the 9's, think were in the same camp for appreciation.

Is the fit cuff an answer or a compromise? Guessing by the sizing designations (XS/S/M/L) they are intended for training / not sparring.
I've used my fit cuff gloves for sparring. I think they are more protective to your sparring partner than 16 ounce trainers.

joined the winning family. maybe someday cletos. if the promise of winning durability holds true, hopefully not too soon.

thanks again to all who have contributed reviews of both gloves all over this site. very helpful.

Back