• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Is chiesa a high level grappler or not?

GolovKing

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
I'm confused because he's talked about as being this grappling ace but he's been submitted multiple times now. Masvidal tapped him out, Kevin Lee, Pettis and now luque.

^^has defensive flaws or (I think) he panics in bad situations for whatever reason.

It's MMA brah, not submission grappling.

I don’t know about all that BUT…

Chiesa is Happy Gilmore’s former caddy…

Happy-Gilmore-Caddy-3.png

He's not. He has no wrestling background. No jiu jitsu background. He's good enough at both and yet not elite at either. For example, a wrestler in seatbelt position would never chase the RNC like he did, they would just try to pound out Luque. And a real jiu jitsu guy probably wouldn't get caught in that Darce.

I think of him as the UFC's "designated grappler", like "look, we have a grappler", and "oh look, this guy beat a grappler, he must be good against grapplers." But there are levels between where he is an where say Usman, Colby, Edwards, Burns, and also I believe Khamzat, Shavkat, and even moving to a different promotion guys like Amosov, Storley, they're on a different level. Chiesa loses the fights he should, and wins the fights he should.

Reactions: 2EZ
He's been submitted but he also submitted Dariush who's a very high-level grappler.

This is mma, submissions can happen whether you're a high-level grappler or not.

Except Khabib has never been submitted even during practice

no he's a career journeymen that's only in the WW contention because WW is weakest it's ever been.

Reactions: 2EZ
He loses to mediocre grapplers (in comparison to the absolute elite) so no he isn’t the pinnacle

Back