Is BJJ easier on the knees than Judo?

iama

Orange Belt
Reaction score
First off I do want to learn bjj, I'm not just asking due to being injured.
Pretty much what the title says? My knees dont like drop throws we use at judo and often we start groundwork from the knees which isnt too comfortable, so I'd like to know is BJJ lower impact on the knees?

Thanks

yes it is easier on the knees. especially if you dont do midget wrestling (wrestle from your knees), just play guard all day.

yes it is easier on the knees. especially if you dont do midget wrestling (wrestle from your knees), just play guard all day.

I know very little about bjj but from what I've seen the throws are low impact, more like sweeps and obviously most of the time is spent on the ground, but if it is lower impact I'm gonna take it up I think.

Most bjj clubs ive been to don't train throws unless its close to competition time. So ya, bjj is way easier on your knees so long as you don't roll with deadly leg locks

I know very little about bjj but from what I've seen the throws are low impact, more like sweeps and obviously most of the time is spent on the ground, but if it is lower impact I'm gonna take it up I think.

Its pretty much as you state. Throws are wrestling/judo based....but more sweep/drag to the ground like. Overall a lot more easier on the body.

Its pretty much as you state. Throws are wrestling/judo based....but more sweep/drag to the ground like. Overall a lot more easier on the body.

There is one club that trains regularly near me, if I were to go to a class this week would I be ok in my judo gi?

often we start groundwork from the knees which isnt too comfortable
There is nothing to stop you using guard or turtling once hajime is called. Knee wrestling is pointless.

After time would I have to buy someting a different (bjj gis are different no?) or is any gi acceptable always?

judo gi is fine is fine and way cheaper most of the time.

Personally, I always always always wear kneepads. There's really no reason not to, except people calling you a pussy. Buy a cheap pair of Rucanor or generic volleyball kneepads, put them under your gi, and there you go. You can wear them in competition, you can weigh in without them in competition, they stop you from bruising your knees and...yeah. No downside. Buy some (two pairs if you train very regularly). Change them every six months to a year. Wash them regularly. Be happy.

Getting thrown in Judo takes a toll on your body.

If you don't do drop throws you shouldn't have a problem with your knees in Judo. Judoka who have bad knees tend to spam Drop Seoi Nage or Drop Tai Otoshi both of which will fuck your knees up.

If you don't do drop throws you shouldn't have a problem with your knees in Judo. Judoka who have bad knees tend to spam Drop Seoi Nage or Drop Tai Otoshi both of which will fuck your knees up.

Yea when I go for seo nage if it is weak I drop to get the throw, thats what started it.

Yea when I go for seo nage if it is weak I drop to get the throw, thats what started it.
Then do what Oliver suggested and get some knee pads.

I heard this sensei banning drop seo nage for the knee injuries reason.

Well, my advice would be to aim to perfect a more classical variation or stop doing it. Ippon isn't worth being a cripple by the time you're 50.

Last edited:
Judo Gi is PERFECTLY ok. If your gonna buy a new gi, might as well buy the judo ones, don't get double weave, unnecessary.

After time would I have to buy someting a different (bjj gis are different no?) or is any gi acceptable always?

Judogis are prefectly legal in BJJ, but not the other way around.

I heard this sensei banning drop seo nage for the knee injuries reason.

I've met a few old schoolers who hate it, harking back to the day when newaza was legal (I kid!...just a little). You miss the throw or your opponent sees it coming, and his hand is already across your neck.

Back