is anyone ever going to write the IBJJF rules in English?

akqjt

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
I love that the IBJJF's stated purpose is legitimizing the sport and standardizing it so it can be brought to the Olympics, and they have gems like:

"The positions sought technically and which are presented with importance in terms of strategy of the fighter and the finishing technique."

"When hte athlete request that are eagerning caimbras, will be the same as if he taps."

and everyone's favourite, "MATA LEO WITH FOOT" (that would be a toehold, for those who didn't already know).

I figured that with no-gi Worlds in just over a week I would review the rules just to make sure I understood them. But written as they are, it can often be confusing as hell. Why can't they hire one of the dozens of people who a) has passed the referee's course and b) speaks English as a first language to re-write the crap on that site?

This goes without even mentioning the rule ambiguities that exist that have nothing to do with mistranslation...

Source: International Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Federation

What they mean is that you shouldn't forget to eat bananas to avoid the CAIMBRAS.

Where did you get the idea that IBJJF wanted to bring the sport to the Olympics?

Is that sarcasm?

I've heard the words come out of Carlos Jr's mouth.:icon_surp

They're rewriting all the rules in Portuguese currently to be much clearer and will have it professionally translated afterward.

I've emailed them with the original text containing mistakes and then a corrected American English sentence for many of the mistakes and offered to rewrite the whole thing for free.

No response.

We're American, so we don't count. Kidding. Kinda.

Where did you get the idea that IBJJF wanted to bring the sport to the Olympics?

Nowhere. Except ON THE RULES PAGE ITSELF. :) :)

International Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Federation

Third paragraph, right at the top:

"Ethical behavior is what gives the sport credibility and security, which are indispensable factors to our sport. Only through this we have developed the sport in brazil turning it into a spectacular sport. Therefore, because we hope to be part of the greatest show on earth, the Olympics, we must stay focused on jiu-jitsu as a viable modern sport."

Back