Is Anderson Silva the Roy Jones Jr of MMA?

johnmangala

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Roy Jones Jr was not only the highest level fighter but he was also exceptionally exciting- from showboating to clowning to taunts. I think Anderson was that guy for MMA. Does anyone else come close? Who's the most like that in modern times?

AdolescentFocusedIrrawaddydolphin-size_restricted.gif

FaroffHighClingfish-size_restricted.gif

He had Floyd like head movement in his prime. Anderson focused a lot on his boxing I’ve heard. He would also get someone to throw tennis balls at him for defense and head movement.

I think SIlva's showboating sholder rolling was really just that, a showboat he pulled off a few times against desperate and sloppy opponents.

He tried doing it against a live opponent and got KTFO.

I can see that. Unfortunately it looks like they also have similar trajectory in the latter part of their careers. Fighting way past their prime and getting knocked out by guys that they would tool, in their primes, literally with their hands behind their backs
tenor.gif

bdFLUGk.gif
Yes, both fighters were extremely elusive in their primes.

I think SIlva's showboating sholder rolling was really just that, a showboat he pulled off a few times against desperate and sloppy opponents.

I guess you don't watch boxing. The greats over there do the shoulder roll vs top level "live" competition. People in MMA in general don't understand the Philly shell/shoulder roll - it's not a traditional boxing style even in the boxing world.

Last edited:
Roy Jones Jr was not only the highest level fighter but he was also exceptionally exciting- from showboating to clowning to taunts. I think Anderson was that guy for MMA. Does anyone else come close? Who's the most like that in modern times?

AdolescentFocusedIrrawaddydolphin-size_restricted.gif

FaroffHighClingfish-size_restricted.gif
I think so. They also relied a lot on their incredible speed and power. When they got older and a little slower, both of them didn’t fare well. I think Mayweather aged much better because he is technically a very sound fighter.

Roy Jones was/is a major influence on Silva. Silva was trying to put a fight together between them for a while, and RJJ was in the crowd for the first Weidman fight. It's speculated that the excessive clowning by Silva in that fight was due to him trying to put on a show for Roy, and sell their proposed fight even further. Didn't really work out.

Silva and Roy are GOATs of their sport. Respect

Wrong in so many ways. Chris's sloppy combo, with a shitty/sloppy backhand, is what caused that sequence to work for him. Watch it closely. Silva's excessive taunting and pretending played a giant factor as well, but if The Chris didn't throw that backhand, the left doesn't land for a KO. Still want someone to ask Weidman if it was planned (genius if so) or if it was just spur of the moment.

? Vito Belfort. Forest was a top 10 in his division at the time. and an x champ.

Yeah super similar. And going down the same path too, both fighting way too late into their career and both have become chinny. In their primes i say RJJ is faster and more elusive, Anderson i think has always been hittable. Anderson has got real legit knockout power though, and in his prime showed a really good chin and RJJ never showed a chin really, the first big shot he took pretty much cleaned him up. Definitely the best boxer to mma comparison i can think of.

Back