• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Irene Aldana was injured during the Holly Holm Fight; She is healthy now and will KO Nunes

You Will Vote For Dreyga

You have no choice
@Gold
Reaction score
People keep looking at Aldana's performance in the Holly Holm fight and point to when they say Nunes will dominate her.

However everyone seems to overlook the fight Aldana was injured during that fight.

Irene Aldana suffered broken foot two days before Holly Holm bout, and had to have surgery.

“It’s broken; I have a broken bone and it’s definitely going to need surgery,” Aldana said in Spanish on “Hablemos MMA EXTRA.” “I will be getting it on Monday. It seems it’s a very simple surgery.

“I’ll need around a month-and-a-half or a month to be able to return to training, then like another month or two to be able to be return to a normal training camp. But everything is OK. It’s unfortunate that it required surgery, but it’s part of the sport.”

Holly has great footwork and her ish-ing is impressive. I don't draw too much from that fight that is relevant to her fight with Amanda.

It's exciting because Irene has a solid chance standing. Amanda would be smart to grapple her, where I think she likely holds a clearer advantage. But let's be honest, Amanda can knock Irene out too, and that seems to not be mentioned enough. If they brawl, I could see either winning.

First time rooting against Amanda. War Aldana.

I have zero idea about who Irene is, but after reading about her accomplishments on Wikipedia and comparing it to Amanda Nunes.... Doesn't look so good.

Obviously though achieving more doesn't mean they automatically win, but is hard to bet against someone as accomplished and dominant as Amanda.
Championships and accomplishments
  • Ultimate Fighting Championship
    • Fight of the Night (Two time) vs. Leslie Smith and Lucie Pudilová[53][22]
    • Performance of the Night (Two times) vs. Ketlen Vieira and Macy Chiasson[35][50]
  • Invicta Fighting Championships
    • Performance of the Night (three times) vs. Peggy Morgan, Colleen Schneider, and Faith Van Duin
  • MMAJunkie.com
    • 2019 December Knockout of the Month vs. Ketlen Vieira
Amanda nunes
  • UFC Women's Bantamweight Championship (two times, current)
    • Five successful title defenses
    • Most wins in UFC title fights amongst women (10)
    • Most wins in UFC Women's Bantamweight Championship fights (7)
    • First woman in UFC to win two titles (bantamweight and featherweight) and to also hold them simultaneously[101]
    • Sixth multi-divisional champion in UFC and third to hold two titles simultaneously (after Daniel Cormier and Conor McGregor)[102]
    • Fourth longest single UFC title reign of all time (1981 days) (behind Demetrious Johnson, Georges St-Pierre and Anderson Silva)
  • UFC Women’s Featherweight Championship (one time; current)
    • Two successful title defenses
    • Tied (Cris Cyborg) for most wins in UFC Women's Featherweight Championship fights (3)[103]
    • First fighter in UFC to defend titles in two divisions while holding both titles simultaneously[104]
    • Longest combined UFC title reign of all time (3605 days).
  • Performance of the Night (five times) vs. Sara McMann, Miesha Tate, Ronda Rousey, Cris Cyborg and Holly Holm[70][73]
  • Tied (Jéssica Andrade) for most wins in UFC Women's history (15)[105]
  • Most finishes in UFC Women's history (10)
  • Most consecutive wins in UFC Women's history (12)[106]
  • Most knockout wins in UFC Women's Bantamweight division history (6)[103]
  • Most finishes in UFC Women's Bantamweight division history (8)[103]
  • Most wins in UFC Women's Bantamweight division history (12)[103]
  • Most consecutive wins in UFC Women's Bantamweight division history (9)[103]
  • Tied (Cris Cyborg) for most consecutive wins in UFC Women's Featherweight division history (3)
  • Most knockdowns in UFC Women's Bantamweight division history (6)[103]
  • Second most takedowns in UFC Women's Bantamweight division history (26)[103]
  • Second most bouts in UFC Women's Bantamweight division history (14)[103]
  • Holds wins over seven former UFC champions — Miesha Tate, Ronda Rousey, Valentina Shevchenko (twice), Holly Holm, Germaine de Randamie (twice), Cris Cyborg, and Julianna Peña[102]

Holly Holm? She is/was one of the best women fighters in MMA, i think the worry loss on her record should be Raqual Pennigton or Leslie Smith, thats just not what you want to see, losing a split decision to a career bottom feeder on the roster, she is 7-4 in the ufc and unless it was early career jitters and she has become that much better or Nunes is retiring because she does not have it anymore, then i dont know if this fight will end well for her especially if it goes stand up the entire time.

People keep looking at Aldana's performance in the Holly Holm fight and point to when they say Nunes will dominate her.

However everyone seems to overlook the fight Aldana was injured during that fight.

Irene Aldana suffered broken foot two days before Holly Holm bout, and had to have surgery.

“It’s broken; I have a broken bone and it’s definitely going to need surgery,” Aldana said in Spanish on “Hablemos MMA EXTRA.” “I will be getting it on Monday. It seems it’s a very simple surgery.

“I’ll need around a month-and-a-half or a month to be able to return to training, then like another month or two to be able to be return to a normal training camp. But everything is OK. It’s unfortunate that it required surgery, but it’s part of the sport.”

I remember that fight well. I don't think the broken foot had too much to do with it. Irene was chasing Holly around the ring. Holly had a good gameplan and Irene well, not so much. She fought a dumb fight in my opinion. That said, I'm rooting for Irene here. I like her as a fighter.

I hope so

She didn't look good at all against Holly, doing the same shit over and over for 5 rounds and losing everytime. She kept following Holly around the cage and getting countering evetytime, it was frustrating to see it was like she didn't knew what else to do. She also got taken down multiple times by Holly and held there which doesn't give me much hope since Holly is not a wrestler at all, Amanda actually has a grappling background

Another thing is in her last fight Irene lost a round on the ground against this Chiasson girl that nobody even knows, and I believe it was a 10-8 round on, sheesh

Still rooting for her tho, hoping she lands that left hook

Girls get the fear of God in their eye after taking that right hand from Amanda.

1st round finish incoming, Amanda bringing the pain

I have zero idea about who Irene is, but after reading about her accomplishments on Wikipedia and comparing it to Amanda Nunes.... Doesn't look so good.

Obviously though achieving more doesn't mean they automatically win, but is hard to bet against someone as accomplished and dominant as Amanda.
    • Performance of the Night (Two times) vs. Ketlen Vieira and Macy Chiasson[35][50]
    • Performance of the Night (three times) vs. Peggy Morgan, Colleen Schneider, and Faith Van Duin
  • MMAJunkie.com
Amanda nunes
    • First woman in UFC to win two titles (bantamweight and featherweight) and to also hold them simultaneously[101]
    • Sixth multi-divisional champion in UFC and third to hold two titles simultaneously (after Daniel Cormier and Conor McGregor)[102]
    • Fourth longest single UFC title reign of all time (1981 days) (behind Demetrious Johnson, Georges St-Pierre and Anderson Silva)
    • Tied (Cris Cyborg) for most wins in UFC Women's Featherweight Championship fights (3)[103]
    • First fighter in UFC to defend titles in two divisions while holding both titles simultaneously[104]
  • Performance of the Night (five times) vs. Sara McMann, Miesha Tate, Ronda Rousey, Cris Cyborg and Holly Holm[70][73]
  • Tied (Cris Cyborg) for most consecutive wins in UFC Women's Featherweight division history (3)
  • Holds wins over seven former UFC champions — Miesha Tate, Ronda Rousey, Valentina Shevchenko (twice), Holly Holm, Germaine de Randamie (twice), Cris Cyborg, and Julianna Peña[102]
Yeah sure but looking at accomplishments is kind of a brain dead metric though. With that perspective, we'd never pick most underdogs.

Girls get the fear of God in their eye after taking that right hand from Amanda.

1st round finish incoming, Amanda bringing the pain

I member this one time Nunes got the fear of God in her eye just about the 3rd time Pena punched her in the face.

It's not that she lost to Holm, it's that she's still not as good as her regardless. Amanda and Holly have been at he top for years, and to this day, 41 year old, ancient-in-fight-experience Holm is still #2 in the division when I don't even think she had an athletic prime in MMA. Been waiting for SOMEONE to get there, but after Nunes-Pena, I'm afraid I'm gonna feel like a win is just better timing than superiority at this point.

But fuck we need some new blood

I don't think her TDD is good enough to stop her from getting taken down and mauled personally.

• MMAJunkie.com
Amanda nunes
You should watch her last fight against Macy Chiasson if you haven’t already. It will probably tell you more than all those things you listed.

I am most confident In an Aldana win, better boxing , better chin, better cardio, and her ground game has improved leaps and bounds just like Grasso has. TKO in under 3 rds imo.

• MMAJunkie.com
Amanda nunes
That doesn't mean anything, fighters improve and Aldana is really really good now.

Back