Iraq crisis: SAS may be sent in to help army

aussie SF
20050913adf8237482_116_lo.jpg

bh038.jpg

guys in center is CIA and the other 2 are SAS

So the CIA actually does have guys that get their hands dirty? Is it possible that people like Michael Westen and James Bond actually do exist?

GHOST
Is Canada the only Commonwealth Nation without SAS, does our JTF2 work in the same parameters as SAS, and are they as elite as non British SAS?

The SAS where the first into Iraq last time out, they caused havoc to saddams regime. Knowing they could be back would be very intimidating.

So the CIA actually does have guys that get their hands dirty? Is it possible that people like Michael Westen and James Bond actually do exist?
Yes, it's called Special Activities Division. Obviously not as glamorous as James Bond, but they do send their guys into hot zones. I think they recruit quite a few former special forces troops.

GHOST
Is Canada the only Commonwealth Nation without SAS, does our JTF2 work in the same parameters as SAS, and are they as elite as non British SAS?
JTF2 serves the same function as British SAS, Australian SASR or New Zealand NZSAS. We also have a similar unit to 75th Rangers in the form of Canadian Special Operations Regiment (CSOR). I know one guy retired from CSOR working as a paramedic in Alberta.

I dont know much about the military, but I think this situation calls for brute, massive force (as in massive bombing) instead of special forces operations. What are the special forces supposed to do here?

I dont know much about the military, but I think this situation calls for brute, massive force (as in massive bombing) instead of special forces operations. What are the special forces supposed to do here?

What's "massive bombing" going to do against militants held up amongst civilian populations?

I have to ask as well .. what the heck are special forces(I'm assuming they are not that big of a group ?) going to accomplish against hundreds or thousands of heavily armed maniacs .. the only thing I can think of is providing intelligence to aid the aerial bombings ?

I have to ask as well .. what the heck are special forces(I'm assuming they are not that big of a group ?) going to accomplish against hundreds or thousands of heavily armed maniacs .. the only thing I can think of is providing intelligence to aid the aerial bombings ?

help evacuate diplomats.

Nope, there are plenty of books written by ex-Delta members. Quite a few of them went to movie consulting or tactical training field after their stints were over.

It's true that you can find books by them, but what I was referring to was current, active duty, delta operators do not have their missions broadcast. Sometimes you'll see articles saying Seal Team x has been sent to Y. Or how we know the British SAS are being sent, or at least considered. You never see that with Delta.

Yes, it's called Special Activities Division. Obviously not as glamorous as James Bond, but they do send their guys into hot zones. I think they recruit quite a few former special forces troops.

QUOTE]

So is this Special Activities Division essentially doing the same thing as the other Special forces branches?

Why do they even have that though? Why not just have army or navy special forces just do it for them? Would that not be cheaper?

and why does the Navy have a special operations that operate on land anyways? The navy is suppose to fight at sea.

QUOTE]

So is this Special Activities Division essentially doing the same thing as the other Special forces branches?

Why do they even have that though? Why not just have army or navy special forces just do it for them? Would that not be cheaper?

and why does the Navy have a special operations that operate on land anyways? The navy is suppose to fight at sea.

The special forces teams are trained, and designed, for different things. Green Berets do different things than SEALs who do different things than Delta.

I'm sure it is the same with the CIA. They probably have different legal hurdles as well.

CIA operates completely out of the military/DOD chain of command as well as budget. They also have different priorities.

They need to have people who are relatively capable on the ground in some cases. They can't just pull from other SOCOM units. Those units are also pretty tight knit and don't like to just send a few team members out to deal with the spooks at CIA.

Had a friend who was a Navy SEAL Commander who got some CIA guys assigned to him when he was in Iraq. Said they literally had to force his guys to take the CIA guys. Only 1 of the CIA guys was accepted and it was because he was a prior SEAL who some of the team members knew.

The whole time I was in Afghanistan I think I met 1 CIA Officer. I met a shit load of SEALS, Army Special Forces(Green Berets) and Aussies SAS guys.

So we American, Uk and Australian special forces in our embassies... why don't we just clean up the problem?

So we American, Uk and Australian special forces in our embassies... why don't we just clean up the problem?
Because it requires tens of thousands of men with proper armor and air support to recapture those cities in Iraq. Manpower the West isn't willing to commit and Iraqi government can't properly support/train. Special forces are not rambos, and they're not much better than regulars in conventional battles. In fact, a mechanized infantry company would hand a special forces team of equal size their asses on a plate in a direct battle.

Because it requires tens of thousands of men with proper armor and air support to recapture those cities in Iraq. Manpower the West isn't willing to commit and Iraqi government can't properly support/train. Special forces are not rambos, and they're not much better than regulars in conventional battles. In fact, a mechanized infantry company would hand a special forces team of equal size their asses on a plate in a direct battle.

Thanks for the serious answer, but I was just being silly.

Very active unit and very good. Got to do a trip to Kabul with one of their guys. Really laid back dude, cool as hell.

Special operators tend to have that way about them. My theory is that it has something to with being a total badass, knowing you're a total badass, and knowing pretty much everyone else knows you're a badass.

Back