Iowa University Wrestling Weight Training Video

UrbanSavage**

Pepe Silvia
Reaction score
http://www.flocasts.org/flowrestling/speakers.php?sid=154&vid=9592

Someone made a thread on this in the conditioning forum but no one really seems to be talking about it over there so I was hoping to get some opinions on the vid going over here from the grapplers.

No denying these guys train hard as hell but some of it seems more about training hard than smart. Running a mile then doing sprints before hitting heavy weights, also the heavy curls using your whole body to get the weight up seems like you're asking for a back injury. Nonetheless, impressive how hard they train.

To be honest the training looks retarded. The interval sprints are good, but I really cant see how any of that weight training would be conducive to explosive movements. Like doing 3x10 curls, then hanging from a chinup bar, and twitching there. The hand-cleans are good but not the way they're doing them. They're hips are barely moving, which is really the entire point behind a movement like this. I would agree with the "training hard, not training smart" assessment of this video.

lol @ hand clean...

its called a fucking HANG CLEAN

ETA: HOLY FUCKING POOR FORM BATMAN... THEY ARE SETTING THEMSELVES UP FOR A SERIOUS MOTHERFUCKING INJURY!

Hang cleans on that vid are good. IF you think otherwise you dont know what you are talking about. The Curls are damned ugly though, but I cant argue with the results ( they are an extremely domininat wrestling program again) so maybe "sports specific" for those curls is just that, just not too pretty to look at.

To me, it seemed like there was very little hip movement in the cleans. Am I totally wrong about thinking that hip movement is a very important, if not the most important part of a clean?

A full power clean, yes, but a hanging clean is more upper back and not anywhere near the lower body and hip movement. But if you were expecting a powerclean movement and saw hang cleans, I can see where you would get the idea they were doing something wrong.

Those curls though...........I wont say more since they did win a national title, so something is working out.

That looks horrible, but shit those guys are like 22 yrs. old max, so their bodies can handle it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anddrew
Back