inverted armbar/arm crush/telephone armbar????

Drew Foster

Silver Belt
Reaction score
Anyone know the proper termanolgy for this move. Marcelo uses it alot from the x-guard.

Ryan hall alls it the arm crush(er). Roy Dean calls it the telephon amlock. But most often I hear it reffered to as an inverted armbar. My teacher calls it an inverted armbar or Muso-Dori but that's because he spent 10 years doing Ninjutsu before he saw the light and that's what Ninjutsu guys call that armlock (Muso Dori).

Anyone know the proper term???

Also, this may be tricker. What's the difference between inverted and reverse. Somebody told me inverted is when you/your oppnent is facing the opposite direction during the move; and that reverse is when the move is applied in the opposite direction. Is this inverted/reverse thing true, is it BS, or does it not really matter?

Yes, it is an inverted armbar that is nicknamed the telephone armbar because you tilt your head towards the arm and it looks like you are talking on the phone. It is different form a normal armbar because you want to create some distance between you and your opponent. As opposed to a traditional armbar that you want to have no space between you and your opponent. It is kind of a weird submission at first you kind of have to get a feel for it.

Inverted Armbar - This is anytime you are performing the armlock, and you are face down. This can be accomplished one of two ways.

1.) Exactly what we just talked about with the telephone armlock.
2.) You go for a traditional armlock and your opponent sits up on you to defend. From here you bring the leg in front of the face and turn belly down. This is also an inverted armlock, and you can go watch GSP fight Hughes. GSP did exactly this.

Reverse Armlock- this is also called a far side armbar. And it reverse to anytime that you spin in either direction to armlock the arm on the other side of the body. If you watch the UFC, Rogan will call this a far-side armbar.

Hope this helps!

I've only heard that referred to as the inverted armbar in english. the arm-crush is something totally different

Yes, it is an inverted armbar that is nicknamed the telephone armbar because you tilt your head towards the arm and it looks like you are talking on the phone. It is different form a normal armbar because you want to create some distance between you and your opponent. As opposed to a traditional armbar that you want to have no space between you and your opponent. It is kind of a weird submission at first you kind of have to get a feel for it.

Inverted Armbar - This is anytime you are performing the armlock, and you are face down. This can be accomplished one of two ways.

1.) Exactly what we just talked about with the telephone armlock.
2.) You go for a traditional armlock and your opponent sits up on you to defend. From here you bring the leg in front of the face and turn belly down. This is also an inverted armlock, and you can go watch GSP fight Hughes. GSP did exactly this.

Reverse Armlock- this is also called a far side armbar. And it reverse to anytime that you spin in either direction to armlock the arm on the other side of the body. If you watch the UFC, Rogan will call this a far-side armbar.

Hope this helps!

Yes helps a LOT! I als added a 4th Marcelo video for you to enjoy!

BUT, the following is a face-up armbar, but is still a telephon armlock. Is it still an inverted armbar???

YouTube - adcc by lei tong

5:22 in. Sorry I can't embed.

And i the "arm-crush" just another nickname like the telephone armlock???

Sorry for so many questions txtfighter. But you're beig VERY helpful!

I usually see it called a reverse arm-bar, but calling it inverted would probably be understood by most since I cannot think of anything else that would be called an inverted arm-bar.

The difference between reverse and inverted isn't commonly known. Everything has multiple names anyhow, even if you just restrict yourself to bjj. Add in catch naming and there's a new name for almost everything else.

My instructor calls it the 100%er. I don't know why. I use it mostly for a set-up, I haven't practiced it enough to actually sink it in yet consistently.

Yes helps a LOT! I als added a 4th Marcelo video for you to enjoy!

BUT, the following is a face-up armbar, but is still a telephon armlock. Is it still an inverted armbar???

YouTube - adcc by lei tong

5:22 in. Sorry I can't embed.

And i the "arm-crush" just another nickname like the telephone armlock???

Sorry for so many questions txtfighter. But you're beig VERY helpful!

yes, that is an inverted-armbar from butterfly guard.

The arm-crush is not a nickname for the inverted armbar, but a completely different technique. It's also known as the bicep-slicer, and has several other names.

My instructor calls it the 100%er. I don't know why. I use it mostly for a set-up, I haven't practiced it enough to actually sink it in yet consistently.

Yes it is hard to sink, but if you can kp their wrist on your shoulder, it is 100%. It's a nice armbar though because you can hit it from guard, mount, side control, during scrambles, and it's such a suprise.

Maybe I'll Jus call Marcelo and ask him for some tips... :wink:

yes, that is an inverted-armbar from butterfly guard.

The arm-crush is not a nickname for the inverted armbar, but a completely different technique. It's also known as the bicep-slicer, and has several other names.

Thanks Mikey. So we got the invertedarmbar or the telephone armbar...

That makes it so much less confusing. Thanks guys!

Also didn't that get the fastest sub at that ADCC Mikey?

Actually I find the best name for it is pressing armlock.

I think I read that in one of the Gracies'/Peligro books.

As apparent here, reverse and inverted are used differently by different people.

Same goes for the triangle, some people call reverse triangle what I call inverted and vice-versa.

In the end it is just a name,as long as you don't call it dirty-heroin-needle-inserted armbar Eddie bravo style we're cool.

ude gatame;

udegatame.gif

Yup.
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3ybCtZdSrBs&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3ybCtZdSrBs&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

it's nice to set up from butterfly - if they defend against the (inverted/ude gatame/muso dori/telephone/vampire-monkey) armbar, by bending the arm away, then the uke basically sets himself up for an easy sweep

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back