Interim belts

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by G-Clark, Dec 21, 2016.

1. G-Clark

G-Clark Orange Belt

This is getting out of control. So was reading mmafighting article about dis not taking less than 20 mil, and came upon them trying to make a lightweight interim title fight between Habib and whoever. Why would they do this conor just won the belt at 205 207 hasn't happened yet. This is ridiculous. Im guessing it's just to sale more ppvs BC a title is on the line. Am I correct in that assumption? There are way to many interim belts floating around nowadays. Do number one contender fights not sell as well as interim title fights? I personally like the sound of number one contender better than interim champ. Obviously there are some situations injuries etc that call for one. However I really hope the new owners see this as a problem and try to fix it.

Death By Samson likes this.
  2. wilKO

wilKO Green, White & Gold belt

It's all about PPV sales

UFC 206 with an interim title sold a whopping 150,000 PPVs. UFC wanna make that bread.

TheRassler and Myrddin Wild like this.
  3. Shaddows

Shaddows Steel Belt

It is to prepare for the inevitable fact that Conor will run to another division rather than defend his belt (He will move to WW and try to fight Tyrone and a year will pass without a title defense at LW)...

...You know the story.

This way, Khab... I mean, the interim champion can defend his interim belt against other top contenders until they strip... i mean... COnor is ready to defend his belt.... or chooses not to!

Last edited: Dec 21, 2016
    Sakuraba7 likes this.
  4. Death By Samson

Death By Samson Silver Belt

I think that the new owners are part of this problem, not part of the solution.

Les Vejtibals likes this.
  5. w00t

w00t Black Belt

Belts for everyone!

Les Vejtibals likes this.
  6. Irishhandbomb

Irishhandbomb Purple Belt

Money. UFC loves champ vs "champ" fights.

[​IMG]

7. G-Clark

G-Clark Orange Belt

Seriously conor just won the belt. Why the hell would they make an interim belt at least? BC his gf is prego gtfoh

8. Soul On Ice

Soul On Ice Arguably Never Lost

Fighters are pushing for interim titles because Dana's super special promise of a title shot means nothing.
    A interim title just assures that you will either get the next shot or become the champion should the current champion not defend the title for whatever reason.

9. Myrddin Wild

Myrddin Wild Lets enjoy our time together!

Nice you got caught up bro... we've been talking about this for well over a week now on sherdog :D ever since Khabib mentioned it about Ferg. You gettin' your newz elsewhere though... so the time delay is understandable.

Just so you know... the winner suposedly gets Conor at International fight week next year.

10. ncboy

ncboy Brown Belt

khabib holding an interim belt is the only way Conor fights him. I like it. In general I don't like them.

Kobra420 likes this.
  11. G-Clark

G-Clark Orange Belt

Chuck Liddell did it for years for tito and they weren't calling him the interim champ

12. Shaddows

Shaddows Steel Belt

I think they finally learned their lesson after Cain & Cruz held their belts for over an year while injured without the UFC making an interim belt....
    And then the asinine decision of making interim belt for Conor when Aldo got injured (the fastest awarded interim belt ever given) and things changed.
    So Interim belt became a "cheapened up" version of the belt, used to secure the top contender (now Interim champion) an unification fight with the real champ....

13. Les Vejtibals

Les Vejtibals Brown Belt

Dana can't commit to a powerbar. He started eating one the other day and I was all like: "dude, you gonna finish that?!"

And he was all like: "what?"