Interesting study about facial width and fighting success in the UFC

vadrigar

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
A man's fighting ability is written in his face?

Screen+Shot+2014-06-18+at+18.34.11.png

Men with faces that are wide relative to their length are more formidable fighters, on average. That's according to a new paper that also finds that observers use the width of a man's face to ascertain with accuracy his likely fighting ability. Samuele Zilioli and his collaborators believe their findings support the idea that humans have evolved specific "neurocognitive adaptations" for assessing the fighting prowess of potential opponents.

The researchers first analysed the facial structure of 241 competitors in the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC). Why choose this competition? "T]he 'no‐holds‐ barred' nature of the fights and the process of 'cutting' serially defeated combatants from the championship makes for a somewhat Darwinian environment, well‐suited to the investigation of fighting ability," they explained.

Having a wider face was correlated with success in the UFC, in terms of surviving in the competition for longer and clocking up more wins. This association remained even after controlling for body size. There were also links between facial width and fighting success when analysis was restricted to Caucasian or non-Caucasian competitors.

Zilioli and his colleagues next demonstrated that people use the width of men's faces to infer their fighting prowess. Dozens of male and female students with no UFC knowledge looked at composites of experienced or inexperienced UFC fighters (composites were formed by averaging the faces of 12 fighters from each category). The students consistently rated the experienced faces as more deadly. It was a similar story when more students rated composites of wide or thin-faced fighters - the wider faces were rated as more formidable.

In another stage of the research, further students rated the fighting ability of individual fighters based on their unaltered photographs - in this case there was a correlation between the students' ratings and the fighters' real-life UFC success. Finally, the researchers adopted an experimental approach. They manipulated images of the fighters, to make them artificially wider or thinner faced. Making a fighter's face wider attracted ratings of greater formidability from student participants.

These results build on past evidence showing that men with wider faces tend to be more aggressive. Zilioli's group said this raised aggression is likely related to the fact such men have greater fighting ability. Why should the width of the face be linked to fighting ability? The researchers speculated that one causal mechanism may be higher testosterone levels - certainly past research has shown men with higher basal testosterone have wider faces, as well as greater strength and aggression. From a survival perspective, there is also research published this month suggesting that a greater face width-length ratio may be part of a facial structure evolved for resistance to punches.

"Regardless of its origin, the existence of this relationship between facial structure and fighting ability would have given natural selection an opportunity to design a more accurate formidability assessment mechanism," the researchers said.

http://digest.bps.org.uk/2014/06/mens-fighting-ability-is-written-in.html

Ronda Rousey vs Holly Holm seems like an exception:

1446715064_rousey-holm-poster.jpg

According to this UFC 194 fight poster Aldo should win on Saturday:

12039485_10153536364081276_258829027404259903_n.jpg

Remember you are looking at the facial width to height ratio, not just the width of the face itself.

Dem Neanderthal genetics pay off. Just look at Conor's huge head :)

"No holds barred". That term is going to be used about the UFC well into the 22nd century.

Interesting study though, thanks a lot for posting!

Having said that:

ntym9GOj.jpg

Joanna Champion does not approve of your science.

Checks out...

mike-tyson-10-29-14.jpg

Thicker bones probably take more punishment, and thicker muscles also help to dish out more punishment. In the ancestral environment where no one was skilled at anything, this was probably a good indicator.

F1 racing driver David Coulthard: future UFC Hall of Famer...

coulthard1_2475869b.jpg

I've always noticed this, tbh.
Ali, Dempsey, Payakaroon,
Liston, Foreman, Schilt...

I'm pretty sure there's not some
absolute truth to any of this... but
there's no denying that for me, at
least... more great fighters than not,
throughout my life have seemed to
have peculiarly wide faces/heads.

I've always noticed this, tbh.
Ali, Dempsey, Payakaroon,
Liston, Foreman, Schilt...

I'm pretty sure there's not some
absolute truth to any of this... but
there's no denying that for me, at
least... more great fighters than not,
throughout my life have seemed to
have peculiarly wide faces/heads.

Agreed. Mayweather has a broad face too:

120601094148-mayweather-jailed-story-top.jpg

Gennady Golovkin's head is seriously wide, like a pumpkin.

McGregor has that narrow horse face though...

Ronda Rousey vs Holly Holm seems like an exception:
The skill disparity displayed in the fight was so great that no big amount of jaw width was going to affect the outcome. And Holly had the bigger muscles.

Well, I've seen studies that correlate facial features with the amount of testosterone received in the womb and during development. I guess this is just a natural extension of that.

"No holds barred". That term is going to be used about the UFC well into the 22nd century.

Interesting study though, thanks a lot for posting!

Having said that:

ntym9GOj.jpg

Joanna Champion does not approve of your science.

As far as I could tell, the article is regarding men. And even then there are going to be exceptions. Interesting stuff though.

Joe Son had a fat face so Keith Hackney elbowed his balls into orbit so he decided to rape women for revenge.

As far as I could tell, the article is regarding men. And even then there are going to be exceptions. Interesting stuff though.

I think it makes sense to naturally extend it to women.

Shouldn't Cody Pfister be the G.O.A.T, then?

Back