Interesting MMA Facts for the truly hardcore MMA fans (Updated all of the time)

Jon " War Machine" Koppenhaver legally changed his name to War MAchine after he and any organization that he was in would be threatened through legal action by TNA wrestling as they have a copyright / trademark for the nickname War Machine (which is the nickname for a pro wrestler called Rhino). Koppenhaver changed his name in order to continue using his nickname as it was now legally his name. Pro wrestler The Ultimate Warrior (Jim Hellwig) did the same after WWE threatened to sue him. As a result of the name change, he was able to sell merchandise and make appearances under the ultimate warrior.

War Machine : ""Turns out some gay ass wrestling federation (TNA) threatened to sue (UFC) because they recently named one of their wrestlers The War Machine Rhino and trademarked the name. Too (expletive) bad that I have been using this name for 6 years, have it tatted on my body and it is what my fans yell out when I

Story of how Anderson Silva and Jose “Pele” Landi-Jons almost got into a street fight in Curitiba

“Anderson was jogging in the company of a friend when Pel

Jeremy Horn on how he got his nickname : "'Honestly, that is not my nickname. Or, it is not a nickname that I chose. That got tagged on me, early on, in one of my fights because I am pretty flexible. I have been fighting it ever since that day, it somehow keeps reappearing. It is not exactly the most intimidating nickname' ”.

During Horn's fight against Frank Shamrock at UFC 17, Jeff Blatnick referred to Horn as "a Gumby" due to his flexibility. It stuck ever since.

Wanderlei Silva has a son named Thor

wand-and-thor.jpg

Quinton Rampage Jackson has an albino son named D’Angelo

"Cung Le was born in Saigon, South Vietnam (now Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam) and left with his family In 1975, days before the Fall of Saigon. After a few weeks in a refugee camp in Philippines, Le ended up in San Jose, California, where early discrimination and bullying inspired him to learn martial arts."

Le : "I left Vietnam in 1975 three days before the fall of Saigon. I went to a refugee camp for three weeks in the Philippines with my mom and her side of the family. We got a sponsor in Monterey, CA where we lived six months with a nice family. My grandfather was a translator for the CIA and got us a house really quickly in San Jose, CA and that is where I moved to. That is where I’m at today, still in the Bay area.It was tough growing up as an immigrant. I was picked on a lot so my mom and dad put me into martial arts. I started studying martial arts at the age of 10. It was off and on. My parents were working two jobs so I didn’t get to practice a lot. I found wrestling when I was in the 7th grade. I wrestled throughout high school and junior college. I became a high school All-American and junior college All-American and after that I found my way back into martial arts and the rest is history."

Story of Shogun Rua being robbed at gunpoint by 4 men and stripped of his clothes according to his manager Eduardo Alonso :

"We were in Rio de Janeiro with Demain Maia and we went to dinner with Mauricio at a restaurant," Alonso told PVT. "At the end of the night, he left us at the hotel at Barra da Tijuca and drove back to Niteroi, where he was staying. He was driving a friend’s car at Linha Vermelha and he was forced to stop by another guy with four men armed with rifles.

"They took his clothes, money and his friend’s car. They said ‘I know who you are, you’re a fighter. Don’t try anything.' It was a sad situation."

Rua had to walk from Linha Vermelha, one of the most dangerous expressways of the city, during the night.

"They took everything, even his shirt," he continued. "He was shoeless and shirtless. Imagine a guy at his size asking for a ride in the middle of the night. Nobody stopped to help him. He had to walk one mile to get to the police station. It was tense, but it’s all good now."

Nothing worse happened to "Shogun," as he provided assistance once he got to the police station."

Shogun's side of the story :

""I was doing a photoshoot with Jose Aldo for Venum, and a friend of mine, Pixote, drove me there," Rua told MMAFighting.com. "After that, we picked up Eduardo and Demian at their hotel in Barra da Tijuca and went to dinner at a restaurant. We watched the UFC and then left them at their hotel."

"Pixote was taking me back to Niteroi, and when we were about to get to the Rio-Niteroi bridge, a car stopped in front of us and four men jumped out of it with guns. There was nothing we could have done.

"I left everything inside the car. I thought about getting my wallet and phone, but maybe they would think I was getting a gun so I left everything there. We were at Linha Vermelha, at 2:30 a.m., and we had to walk two miles to get at the nearest police station. I’m glad no one got hurt."

The incident happened less than seven weeks before the World Cup in Brazil. Shogun is not concerned about the violence during the soccer competition, but he questions what the government is going to do after the final game which is scheduled for July 13 at Maracana stadium in Rio de Janeiro.

"It’s going to be safe during the World Cup, with more cops and army in the streets, but then what?" Shogun asks. "And what about the rest of our lives? It’s going to be like it is today? There’s no point of doing a special plan during the World Cup and then it’s over. We pay taxes to have security the whole year, not only for a month during the World Cup."

Rua currently lives in Sao Paulo, where he trains at Maia’s gym, and he blames the government for the lack of security.

"In a country like Brazil, when you have major issues to solve as violence and health care, the government spends money with sports," he said. "They don’t use the money correctly in Brazil. Rio and Sao Paulo are the most dangerous cities, but the whole country is dangerous. But what impressed me the most in this situation was that they were using rifles."

story and update of the street fight involving several men and mma fighters Maiquel Falcao and Kaue Mena (as described by Falcao and Mena) :

Falcao : "We had three beers that night in a little bar nearby and we went to the gas station to take one more. The girl who was inside of the store thought I was hitting on her. She turned to me and said some racist nicknames. If I was supposed to knock any single person, just look how many guys were in there, I'd never beat a woman. If we were used to drink, nothing would have happened. With a couple words we'd be ok but I don't know what happened to that guys. Back that day I got robbed, they took my shoes, my jacket and my wallet. It was a double attempt of robbery and murder. Me and Kau

Mirko Cro Cop won the Open-Weight Grand Prix at Pride Final Conflict Absolute on September 10, 2006, which, also happened to be his 32nd birthday.

Top 50 Richest MMA fighters

1 Georges St Pierre - 25 million

2 BJ Penn - 22 million

3 Anderson Silva - 18 million

for the rest, visit : http://www.celebritynetworth.com/list/top-50-mma-net-worth/
Assuerio Silva was shot 5 times by former friend and training partner Robson Freitas

"Silva said that he was ambushed as he locked up his

UFC welterweight Matt Brown witnessed Pantera/DamagePlan guitarist “Dimebag” Darrell (Darrell Lance Abbott) get killed onstage at the Alrosa Villa in Columbus, Ohio.

"Matt Brown was at the show on December 8th, 2004, and opened up to UFC on Fox about that night. Brown was in the second row when Nathan Gale assassinated Abbott and three others. Brown took cover behind a pillar as Gale continued to fire, and the person next to him was shot. He also witnessed Gale getting killed, and went back into the club to see Abbott before the remainder of the police showed up."

UFC fighter Bobby Green's younger brother was gunned down in a drive-by shooting in San Bernardino. When the UFC heard about the tragedy, they paid for his brother's funeral expenses.

Mitchell Wayne Davis Jr. (Green’s younger brother) was with three family members working on a car when a black Honda rolled past and opened fire.

UFC 34 fighter Homer Moore was arrested for the murder of 19-year-old Karam Hussein Jabbar that took place in 1999 when a violent drug deal went bad. The victim was found in the trunk of a vehicle outside a grocery store with his hands and legs bound and bag over his head a week after bring reported missing. Moore was identified as one of the primary suspects in the murder case and charged with first degree murder.

20140423-231611.jpg

UFC vet Gerald Strebendt became the first fighter to execute a Twister in an MMA match.

"On January 29, 2014, Strebendt shot and killed 53-year-old David Paul Crofut during an altercation following a traffic collision between the two drivers' vehicles. Strebendt called 911 following the collision but before shooting Crofut and was still connected with the 911 call when the shot was fired. Strebendt claims self-defense in the shooting; Strebendt's attorney, Mike Arnold of Eugene, states that Strebendt reached into his vehicle and retrieved his weapon, a loaded .223 caliber semi-automatic rifle, because Crofut verbally threatened his life. Carrying a loaded rifle in a vehicle is legal in Oregon. Crofut was unarmed during the altercation, and no weapons other than Strebendt's rifle were found at the scene. Following the shooting, Strebendt was handcuffed and taken into custody, but was released later that night. Strebendt was arrested and charged with murder March 6, 2014 after being indicted by a grand jury."

"Back in 2005, Strebendt was a key witness in the murder trial of Rafiel Torre. Torre initially offered Strebendt $10,000 to kill the victim, 32-year-old Bryan Richards, who had a sizable life insurance policy and with whose wife Torre was having an affair. After Strebendt refused, Torre committed the murder himself, then told Strebendt a few days later that he had killed Richards in self-defense with a rear naked choke. Torre asked Strebendt to provide him with an alibi, a request which was met with Strebendt's refusal. More than a year after the killing, Strebendt voluntarily came forward and provided his story to detectives, out of concern that Torre would escape punishment for the murder. Torre was convicted of the murder and sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole; he is appealing the sentence.

image.php

GERALD-STREBENDT.jpg

In Alexander Otsuka's match with Ninja Rua at PRIDE FC 27, the fight was stopped following a groin strike when Otsuka could not continue. The next Pride Fc 27 fight occurred as Otsuka recovered backstage. After Otsuka recovered (and received a new cup as the groin strike broke his previous cup), both he and Ninja came back out later in the event and restarted their fight.

Here are excerpts from an article concerning Fred Ettish's life for those who don't know him beyond His one and only UFC fight :

“I had an abusive stepfather,” Ettish said. “It was rough. I put up with quite a bit. It affected me in every possible way you could imagine. It colored everything about my personality, some things for the better, some things for the worse. It was the number one reason I turned to martial arts. I hated being weak. I hated being the victim.He found refuge through an unexpected source. One of his friend’s parents, made aware of what he was up against at home, threw him a lifeline and offered him place to crash, warm meals and the structure he so desperately needed. Another in a string of violent incidents spurred his decision to accept their offer.

“My stepfather burned our house down in a drunken rage the same night he chased us with a loaded rifle and tried to run me over with his truck,” Ettish said. “One of my classmates had told me, ‘If it gets too bad, my parents will let you stay with us.’ I went to school and asked him if the offer still stood. That’s the way it went. They never blinked.”

”Stable and content for the first time in years, Ettish completed high school and joined the military. For four years in the mid 1970s, he ate, drank and slept the Marines. “It was a good time,” he said. “Those were four good years.” Still, the decision to leave home was not easy to make. “I was 17 years old, had just graduated high school and was living with a foster family,” Ettish said. “I lived on a farm. I thought it was heaven. I wasn’t getting beaten. I wasn’t being told I was stupid. All I had to do was milk cows and do my chores.”

Still, one wound remains that time cannot heal. He struggles daily with the unexplained death of his newborn baby 13 years ago. “I had to bury a son,” Ettish said. “There’s nothing like burying one of your children. I never got over it. There are still times when I break down in tears. He was born and died within minutes after a perfect pregnancy. I lost my father at an early age, lost one of my young students and buried my Okinawan teacher, but nothing compared to that. “My ex-wife did everything right. We never found out why he died,” he added. “I’d go back and relive UFC 2 every day -- I’d take that beating a hundred million times -- if I could have my son back.”

Pat Miletich and Carlos Newton were originally slated to be the coaches on season 3 of The Ultimate Fighter.

Dana White : "There’s this rumor that there was a huge falling out between the UFC and Pat Miletich, not really true. Pat Miletich was pissed at me for a very long time. Going into season 3 of The Ultimate Fighter, I had called Pat and asked him if he would coach that season of The Ultimate Fighter with Carlos Newton, and he accepted. Then things started to come together and Ken Shamrock and Tito Ortiz ended up coaching that season. I didn’t handle the thing the right way, I apologized to Pat. But Pat was pretty upset about it, and I don’t blame him. It was definitely mismanaged, handled the wrong way.”

More soon.

More:

"Jens Pulver has heterochromia, a harmless medical condition that gives eyes different colors. In Pulver's case his right eye is blue, while his left eye is brown."

jens-pulver.jpg

Due to some controversy, Igor Vovchanchyn had to fight Adilson Lima twice in the same night during the IAFC - Absolute Fighting Championship 1 event. Igor knocked Lima out in the first fight. Lima's corner (including Renzo and other Gracies) complained, claiming that they had agreed that there would be no kicks to an opponent on the ground which pretty much were their rules. A language barrier mistake was blamed for the misunderstanding as the promotor was Russian.

"At the time, the rules of the sport were unclear to many and there was no widely accepted universal standard rules for the sport. Relson Gracie immediately jumped into the ring and argued that the kicks that Igor had used on Lima at the time were "illegal and unfair" and that the fight should be restarted immediately". The Gracies had a lot of political clout in the sport at the time, and strangely enough an immediate rematch was granted." Lima's corner actually was rumored to have threatened to pull their other fighter Ricardo Morais if the promotor did not let them fight again.

The russian promotor got fed up with them complaining and agreed to let them fight again. Lima was set to fight Igor again in the same day despite being viciously ko'ed. Igor instead of complaining obliged and in the second fight, for the second time in the same day, beat Lima again after breaking his nose.

"To show you how marred and unclear the rules of the sport were at the time when Igor was fighting, he lost his next fight to Russian Sambo competitor Mikhail Illoukhine by submission resulting from Illoukhine driving the point of his chin into Igor's eye socket. As controversial as this move may have been, it was the nature of the sport at the time when No Holds Barred really had a meaning to it".

fight 1

Tim Sylvia on Ricco Rodriguez hand picking Sylvia for his first title defense because he thought Sylvia would be an easy win

Sylvia : "I was shocked when almost immediately after I got into the Ufc, I was given a title shot. I was thinking I'd work my way up, fight a few guys first before I got a title shot. But I was hand picked, among a list of UFC fighters, by Ricco. Ricco (Rodriguez) picked me because he thought he could beat me and retain his title. And the UFC thought he was going to be the next big thing. But we took the fight knowing that we had a good shot at beating this guy. And low and behold-it happened.

Zane Frazier trained with (now referee) Herb Dean in preparation for his UFC 1 debut :

Dean : "“I started in martial arts at the age of 9 and trained in several different disciplines throughout my teens. In 1993 I was training with Frank Trejo when UFC 1 was being put together. My training partner, Zane Frazier, was on the card. At the time nobody knew if there would be a UFC 2 or that the sport was about to take the world by surprise. After UFC 1 I continued to train with Frank and expanded my regimen to include Judo and Jiu Jitsu. In the spring of 1996 I met Larry Landless and found what I had been searching for, cohesive and complete MMA training at Submission Factory."

"Coleman was originally scheduled to face Randy Couture in a title match for the UFC Heavyweight Championship, but Couture was injured during training and was forced to pull out of the fight. Coleman instead faced a relatively unknown (at that time) last minute replacement fighter, up and coming Lion's Den product Pete Williams."

Guy Mezger and Enson Inoue controversy

Following his win over Enson's brother Egan in Pride FC 13, Mezger was ordered by DSE officials to get on a mic and challenge Enson to a fight after the match (if he won). Out of respect, Mezger, after he defeated Egan, explained and apologized to Enson prior to what he was going to do.

Aw5e2n.gif

Enson describing the incident and the aftermath : "The most memorable backstage experience for me was when my brother, Egan (also a Pride veteran), fought Guy Mezger from the Lions Den at Pride 13. My brother lost the fight and as I go into the ring to check on my brother, Guy Mezger whispered in my ear

MMA fighter killed by a falling cow :

"Ally McCrae, a Scottish MMA fighter who was trying to work his way up the ranks, was killed by a falling cow carcass while working at a slaughterhouse. McCrae had only been working there for about a month. It’s a tragedy, and a bizarre one. McCrae evidently suffered a heart attack caused by head injuries, according to this report from NBC.com. By all counts, McCrae was a popular an affable fellow, his coach had this to say: “Ally was such a joker and when I heard the bizarre circumstances of the accident yesterday, I thought for a second that he might be playing a really silly joke.It's such a tragedy, none of us at the gym can quite believe what has happened. I can honestly say he was very talented and was a promising mixed martial artist.He was always at the gym after work and, knowing what happened, it's going to be very difficult not having him around. Ally was such a colourful character, he will be terribly missed." Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-crushed-death-cow-carcass.html#ixzz3DUOqGEsH Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-crushed-death-cow-carcass.html#ixzz3DUOkIJyt Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook "

http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Ally-McCrae-60544

Jon Fitch is the first MMA fighter to be sponsored by being paid with digital currency.

International fighting championship facts

At IFC 1, Igor Vovchanchyn had to share a protective cup with other fellow athletes.

The mat of their IFC 1 cage had to be spray painted as it was a rip off of the early ufc logo / mat. In fact, Bob Meyrowitz, the head of the UFC, threatened to sue the group. It was spray painted before the event to avoid a law suit.

hqdefault.jpg

iN44p.jpg

UFC_5_Return_of_the_Beast_Poster.jpg

Ufc vet Andy Anderson was the referee. UFC vet Ron Van Clief was the ring interviewer. and one of the commentators along with Bas Rutten . Speaking of Andy Anderson, according to Clyde Gentry's book "No Holds Barred", Anderson was involved in an altercation with Ufc vet Paul Herrera at an Ultimate Japan 1 after fight party in which Anderson reportedly knocked Herrera out with one punch.

According to the book "Brawl", following the event, a drunk Bas Rutten threw Paul Varelans through a window accidently after Varelans bit Bas when they were playfully wrestling around. Later on, at a strip club, Bas jumped on stage with the entertainers and was confronted by a security guard holding a machine gun. Bas reached down and bitch slapped the guard in the face. Andy Anderson lifted Bas up on his shoulder and got him out of there immediately. On the way back to the hotel, Bas stood up in the taxi and then pissed on the taxi driver. The taxi driver stopped and yelled at Bas and he did it again.

When Andy Anderson was about to go back to the U.S., a mobster tied to the event told him that the event was successful and that he wanted to have another event and they had to stay. When Anderson told them to go ahead and have another event, but we are going home, they were forced to stay and were held captive. "Everyone had a machine gun but us", Anderson said. The next day, he and 3 others, bribed one of the people keeping them captive and he and the 3 others got on a plane and left.

"After IFC 1, the biggest struggle seemed to be getting the videotapes of the event out of the country for purposes of commercial distribution. This is where the Russian Mafia appeared to have gotten involved, causing delays and red tape that forced IFC officials to come back again and again, but in the end the Vovchanchyn-Dixson final match never made it to the recording. That was probably par for the course for this discombobulated promotion."

"Originally, the organization that bears the name “International Fighting Championships” ran under the monicker “Ultimate Warriors.

"The IFC went on to have a second show in Mississippi, in which a state athletic commission actually sanctioned mixed martial arts for the very first time, then a third show in Mobile, Alabama, in which not all the fighters got paid their full purses. The IFC continued through the next six years promoting mostly in Quebec (which established uniform rules for MMA) and California (which did the same, piggy backing onto the Quebec rules). That in and of itself makes it somewhat significant, in that it was arguably the inspiration for certain rules advances. The IFC exists to this day, having staged shows in numerous states around the country."

More in depth info for those that are interested :

"Originally, the organization that bears the name “International Fighting Championships” ran under the monicker “Ultimate Warriors.” The first show took place on March 30, 1996 in the unlikely venue of Kiev, Russia. It was a bizarre beginning, as the outfit, obviously looking to capitalize on the popularity of the UFC and having some UFC expatriates on its payroll, sported a logo that was strikingly similar to that which the UFC had used. Even then, the UFC was very territorial over its product, and Bob Meyrowitz, the head of the UFC, threatened to sue the group.

That actually put one member of the group – Buddy Albin (note : this promotor is also the guy who was also the manager of Anthony Macias, Oleg Taktorov and other fighters..and said to be the one who told Macias to throw the fight against Oleg so Oleg was fresh against Tank in the UFC) – in a tough position. Albin was a site coordinator with the UFC who had been fired; when he first engaged in dialogue with Russian interests about the first Ultimate Warriors show, he explained that he owned the international rights to the UFC, and that what they would be getting in Kiev was something very comparable to what the UFC had.

That was a misrepresentation to say the least, and it was dangerous, in as much as underworld interests reached into just about every aspect of sports in the former Soviet Union, and would make their presence known around this event too, when all was said and done. One of Albin’s colleagues, Howard Petschler, who had come from the world of kick boxing through the PKA, knowing the new promotion was not likely going to be able to use the “Ultimate Warriors” logo, theme or poster, had to act quickly to save face. So the announcement was made to the Russians and to the participants that the UFC had purchased the rights to the name “ultimate” from them for a cool million bucks.

Another misrepresentation, of course. The reality was, he had to then scramble around for a name. Ultimately (if you pardon the pun), he wound up calling it the IFC, which stood for “International Fighting Championships.” This may have been a partial dig at the UFC people as well; only a couple of years before, the “sanctioning body” started by UFC co-founder Art Davie was dubbed the “International Fight Council” – also the IFC."

I remember this dude on youtube that had VAST collections of these things, like 20+ mma facts videos, 15+ funny mma moments video each ten minutes long and they were all fucking epic. But somebody had to ruin the fun, got reported constantly and all taken down. I remember the guy posting here too saying how heart broken he was for all the hard work that he had put into those video only for them to be reported. A shame, they were awesome to watch.

Great stuff here, it definitely fills the void.

"Joao Alberto Barreto (who was one of the referees at UFC 1) broke an opponent's arm when his opponent refused to tap out after he was caught in an armbar on an episode of the brazilian fight program Her

King of the Cage 7 : Wet and Wild, 2001

Instead of losing out on money, promoters decided to go on with the outdoors king of the cage event despite the fact that it was raining throughout the event. The 2001 event was "slated for an outdoor venue at Soboba Casino in San Jacinto, Calif., and the promoters decided to pass on a rain delay and instead invited athletes to strike and grapple in MMA's equivalent of a Slip 'N Slide. Fighters went for takedowns, then slid; for submissions, then slid; for strikes, then slid. Puddles even began to be collected on the canvas."

"The UFC 56 fight between Matt Hughes and Joe Riggs was originally supposed to be Matt Hughes defending his belt against Karo Parisyan, but when Karo was forced to withdraw with an injury, Joe Riggs came in as a replacement. After Riggs failed to make weight at the weigh-ins, the two competed in a non-title fight."

"The fight at PRIDE 13 between Tra Telligman and Igor Vovchanchyn was originally supposed to be Ken Shamrock taking on Igor, but Ken was forced to withdraw from the fight with an injury."

"Carlos Newton made his MMA debut at Extreme Fighting 2 taking on Jean Riviere as a late replacement. Newton, weighing in at under 180 pounds, was outweighed by Riviere by over 100lbs. The announcers gave a false weight for Newton to make him heavier than he truly was. Newton lost the fight by strikes/exhaustion."

UFC 12 was the last SEG event that was shown on mainstream cable pay-per-view before the cable ban went into full effect (in early 1997).

Rampage's three sons have the middle name of "Rampage", one of which is albino. His daughter's middle name is "Page"

"SEG originally intended UFC Japan to be a separate company, run by local promoters, but due to mounting financial problems, and the rise of the popular PRIDE and K-1 organizations, the idea was scrapped following UFC 25: Ultimate Japan 3"

Kevin Randleman's nickname in Japanese Pro Wrestling/HUSTLE is "Fudge Brownie".

"Randy Couture submitted a application to SEG to compete in the UFC, but he didn't get the invite due to the event (at the time) already met it's quota of wrestlers. He was contacted to compete in UFC XIII but he was in Puerto Rico at the time competing in the Pan-An Games. The original fighter sustained a hand injury and nobody else would take the opportunity on short notice. Couture flew from Puerto Rico to Atlanta where he trained for only five days before the tournament."

The one night tournament at UFC 23 was the first in the UFC since UFC 17, and the last ever one night tournament held by the UFC. It was won by Kenichi Yamamoto.

Bas Rutten announced on UFC 23 that he dropped his heavyweight championship title so he could drop down to middleweight to bring Frank Shamrock out of retirement to fight for the middleweight championship as well as to try to be a champion in two different weight classes. While training for his next UFC fight in 1999, Rutten suffered multiple serious injuries, including blowing out his knee (a long running injury), tearing his biceps, and suffering a neck injury. He was forced to retire from MMA competition for the time being, by doctors orders."

Bas Rutten on the origin of the "Rutten jump" : "When I won my first fight in Pancrase, I was so hyped that I jumped up in the splits to each side of the ring. Why? I don't know. But, it became my trademark and I had to do it after every fight that I won."

"Gina Carano got into combat sports due to name calling- In a pre-fight presser leading up to her bout with Cris “Cyborg” Santos, Gina Carano admitted that she initially took up Muay Thai due to mockery. According to Carano, she had visited her then boyfriend at his Muay Thai gym, where the gym’s kru called her fat, prompting her to sign up for lessons. Calling Gina Carano fat became a tradition that Xtreme Couture teammate and former UFC light heavyweight champion Forrest Griffin continued the name calling."

"The UFC 48 main event between Ken Shamrock and Kimo was originally going to be the long awaited grudge match between Ken and Tank, but when offered the fight, Tank didn't sign. In an effort to find a replacement, the UFC decided to go with the man who not only had a history with Ken, having lost to him in the UFC 8 Superfight, but who had submitted Tank at UFC 43, Kimo.

Frank Shamrock challenged Sakuraba after Saku's victory over Braga at Pride 6.

Both Ryan Gracie and Vitor Belfort issued challenges to Sakuraba after he submitted Renzo Gracie at PRIDE 10. Sakuraba had already beaten Vitor and fought and beat Ryan at PRIDE 12.

PRIDE 13 was the first event to include knees and soccer kicks to someone in the "four-points" position (the opponent is on his hands and knees) and also was the first event to have the standard 10-5-5 round system.

The fight at PRIDE 13 between Mark Coleman and Allan Goes was the first time PRIDE attempted to match up Coleman and Nogueira. They tried again at PRIDE 15 but Coleman was forced to withdraw and Gary Goodridge filled in. The two finally met at PRIDE 16 where Nogueira was able to submit Coleman with a triangle.

The fight at PRIDE 16 between Semmy Schilt and Akira Shoji was put together after each fighter's respective opponents canceled. Schilt was originally supposed to fight Igor Vovchanchyn and Shoji was originally supposed to fight Brad Kohler. Igor withdrew with an elbow injury and Kohler withdrew with an ankle injury.

After Nogueira beat Bob Sapp at Shockwave, Josh Barnett (who cornered Sapp) issued a challenge to Nogueira. They finally fought 4 years later.

The fight between Quinton Jackson and Murilo Bustamante in the opening round of the 2003 MWGP was originally supposed to be Rampage taking on Ricardo Arona. Arona was forced to withdraw after breaking his ankle and his training partner, Bustamante, offered to replace him in the tournament. Rampage and Arona would eventually meet in a title elimination fight the following year. Rampage knocked Arona out with the infamous powerbomb.

The Interim Heavyweight title fight between Cro Cop and Nogueira at Final Conflict 2003 was originally supposed to be a title fight between Mirko and Fedor Emelianenko, but Emelianenko was forced to withdraw from the fight after injuring his right hand against Gary Goodridge in his previous fight. Nogueira replaced Emelianenko and fought Mirko for the Interim HW belt, which he would end up winning after submitting Mirko in the second round.

Quinton Jackson broke his hand within the first 5 minutes during his fight with Ikuhisa Minowa at Shockwave 2003 but fought through it.

After Yoshihisa Yamamoto "beat" Mark Kerr, he fought Mirko Filipovic at Bushido 2, where Nobuhiko Takada stated if he won, he would've earned a spot in the 2004 HWGP. He ended up losing the fight and Mirko went on to compete in the tournament.

The fight between Wanderlei Silva and Mark Hunt at Shockwave 2004 was originally supposed to be Wanderlei taking on Kazushi Sakuraba for a fourth time, but when Sakuraba injured himself in training, Mark Hunt stepped up and took the fight on a mere three days notice.

UFC 9 was the first UFC to not feature a one night tournament.

Ikuhisa Minowa requested Cro Cop as his opponent in the opening round of the OWGP. He had wanted to fight Mirko ever since witnessing Mirko defeat his trainer, Kazuyuki Fujita, in 2001.

Art Davie was the one that signaled to BJM to stand Ken and Royce up at UFC 5.

The UFC 43 Interim LHW title fight between Randy Couture and Chuck Liddell was originally to be Chuck Liddell's title shot against Tito Ortiz, but Ortiz refused to fight so Randy Couture volunteered to try 205 and fight against Chuck.

Andrei Arlovski and Cabbage Correira knew they were going to fight at UFC 47 but they didn't know who they were going to fight against until days before the event.

When Guy Mezger fought Tito Ortiz at UFC 19: Young Guns, Mezger was sick before the fight but fought anyway, a decision that he regretted after the fight. This resulted in Ortiz handling Mezger and winning the bout at the 9:55 mark by referee stoppage. The stoppage was somewhat controversial because both Mezger and his cornerman, Ken Shamrock, felt that Ortiz's strikes were not doing enough damage to warrant a stoppage. Ortiz then donned a shirt ( http://sfuk.tripod.com/interviews_01/tito_bitch.jpg )that was insulting to Mezger which provoked an immediate reaction from Ken Shamrock, Mezger's trainer. Mezger seeked a rematch with Ortiz over the next few years. In 2004 he was finally granted a chance to face Tito Ortiz at UFC 50. Unfortunately, the week of the fight, Mezger was taken to the hospital due to stroke like symptoms, and was taken off the fight card and replaced by Patrick Cote.

Randy Couture fought and beat Mike Van Arsdale at UFC 54 despite having had to deal with a nasty staph infection in his knee leading up to the fight.

Alexander Otsuka defeated Mike Bourke in pride with a double armbar.

ZKJloo.gif

In the pre-fight staredown between Josh Barnett and Mark Hunt, while the referee was issuing the rules, Barnett added, "No flying ass drops."

2.gif

Ultimate ultimate 96 behind the scenes through quotes by the promoters and fighters in it (part 1) :

David Isaacs (chief operating officer, SEG): With the demanding nature of the tournament format, "the UFC stuff" was getting harder to corral. As they had in 1995, SEG invited its tournament winners and runners-up to a mega-event to cap off the year. Two-time champion Coleman accepted but withdrew a month out with a virus, a knee injury delayed Vitor Belfort's debut, visa issues kept Igor Vovchanchyn out of the States and Marco Ruas priced himself out of contention.

Art Davie (matchmaker): The top guys became less amenable to the idea of having three bouts in one night. Part of it was due to the fact that everyone's training had ramped up. They were all concerned about injuries.

Paul Varelans (quarterfinalist): The SEG people would format a tournament thinking they knew who was going to win. They would put a high-caliber martial artist, one or two on either side, to meet in the middle. And the other guys were put in to look good but to be fodder, to be in the way. I was one of the guys who f---ed up their plans quite a bit.

Isaacs: I was busting my ass to get these guys involved. It's hard to get fighters to do the single-night tournament, but there are always guys like Frye who would say, "Anytime." They weren't worried about the damage they were going to take.

Don Frye: Hell, I was fit as a fiddle. I was ready to go after Coleman and was really disappointed he got sick and didn't make it.

Ken Shamrock: I wanted a shot at Coleman. I had already fought the winner of the last Ultimate Ultimate, Dan Severn, and beat him. To me, it was like, well, what more can I do?

Isaacs: Shamrock was different. He knew he wasn't going to be good at tournaments, and he thought he was a showcase fighter. He didn't think he needed to be in a tournament with these other guys. We probably had to pay him a chunk of money just to show. Art always called him our Hamlet. Should he fight, should he not fight, that whole thing.

Davie: Shamrock had a good sense of his physical capabilities. While he had an enormous ability to gain muscle mass, he also knew there was a certain amount of brittleness in his structure. I think he felt as much as anybody how much of a strain and a stress the eight-man tournament was. Getting him into the Ultimate Ultimate was a coup.

Cal Worsham (quarterfinalist): After my fight with Zane Frazier at UFC 9 [in May 1996], I had a heart contusion, collapsed lung, three broken ribs. I was being kept awake in the ICU for two days without knowing if I would live or die. When I finally got home, I was scared to fart.

Davie: It was quite difficult for Worsham to get out of the hospital bed and get back to training to face Tank Abbott.

Worsham: Around mid-October, I get a phone call from Art Davie telling me no one wants to fight Tank in the tournament. I said, "Yes, sir." But he was the one guy where if he found out about the injury, he gave off the impression he'd like to do a knee drop on my chest and finish me off.

Abbott: Once I got in the UFC, I didn't have to prove anything anymore. I could never walk away from a fight. If someone came up to yell at me, I was going to bash their head in. You wanted to bully me or push me around, I was going to hurt you. But when I got in the UFC, I could say, "You know what, go watch UFC 6 and see how lucky you are."

Brian Johnston (quarterfinalist): I had trained with Don Frye previously and went back to train with him again for this show. If we had gotten to the finals, we figured since we had been sparring every night anyway, we would just fight. We would've been friends, but we would've left it all in the ring. We might have even had a better fight than someone would have not knowing his opponent.

Varelans: My first UFC, I had four months of training. No one wants to believe it, but it's the truth. I never really had a coach. I'd get videotapes, watch what they were doing and then modify it for myself.

Mark Hall (alternate): I couldn't talk growing up. I stuttered real bad. I couldn't even say one word. I was made fun of every day, ridiculed every day. Talking is how you tell people who you are. If you can't tell someone who you are, you're really nobody.

Johnston: For Hall to enter a "no-holds-barred" contest at his size [189 pounds], that takes balls.

Hall: I liked to fight people better than me. That way, the win would be bigger. It would be something I could be proud of.

Abbott: I look at the lineup and who was fighting who. Shamrock, who was their little golden-boy company guy, had a schedule where he'd have two fights' rest, where I'd fight one right after another. I said, "What the f--- is this? It's not how a tournament works. He gets two fights off and I fight twice?" [SEG president] Bob Meyrowitz goes, "Well, it's too late. Can't do anything about it. The graphics have been done and we can't change the format of the show."

I knew he could. I looked at him and laughed and said, "All right, motherf---er, whatever you want, you're gonna get."

Part 2 in the next comment

(Continued)

Ultimate ultimate 96 behind the scenes through quotes by the promoters and fighters in it (part 2) :

Davie: I think Ken felt Tank was the wrong kind of guy, a bad guy. On the other hand, I was privy to Tank telling me he thought Ken was everything he didn't like. Ken was a pretty boy, Ken was a guy in Speedos. He didn't like Ken. He just didn't like him.

Abbott: He's a steroid phony and still is to this day. [Shamrock admitted to steroid use during his career in a 2010 interview.] He's not a real warrior. He's all pumped up on steroids. He believes his own gimmick from pro wrestling. Instead of being tough, he's into acting tough. Just like the typical steroid, wannabe tough guy, he'd look the other way. But if there are people around, he'll put on a show.

Shamrock: Tank came up to me at my table after one of the earlier events. I had my family and some of my fighters there. He pulls up a chair and sits down. I looked at him and said, "Hey man, how are you doing?" I'm always polite to people.

He says, "I'm doing good, man. I'm going to be fighting in the next one. "I said, "Congratulations. Wish you the best." He looked and me and goes, "I can beat you." You know what? Stand in line.

Hall: I know Ken and Tank were at each other's throats. Tank had his cronies there and Ken had his cronies there, and they were going to have a big gang fight backstage.

Davie: I think Tank's guys followed a tone and a path that Tank set, in the sense they wanted to be like Tank. If they thought Tank would want them to do it, then they would do it. They were the ones who jumped Pat Smith in the elevator [at UFC 6 in 1995, after Smith had exchanged words with the group]. Then Tank came along and finished him off.

Isaacs: They were both the big dogs in their group. Abbott would walk around with his guys, and Ken and the Lion's Den would walk around. I was concerned something was going to happen between them. They both thought the other was bulls---.

Shamrock: I went after him one time behind the curtain. He said something to me. People got in between us. I'm very high-strung. If someone says something, they're going to get a response. Tank had the mouth, I had the volatile personality. It didn't mix.

Abbott: I would fight him in a bathroom where no one would see it. He'd run out of the bathroom, because he fights so people can think he's a fighter. I fight because that's part of my soul.

Davie: At UFC 8 in Puerto Rico, I ended up in a bar in Bayamon. Tank came in and said to everybody in Spanish, "I think you're all [homosexuals], you're all [gay slur]. I'll kick anybody's ass in the house." Like he was John L. Sullivan. The whole place got quiet. I looked at Tank and looked at the crowd and went, "This is going to be a riot." And Tank looked at me and smiled like, "We're going to have some fun."

He's not irrational. But if he decides he wants to kick your ass, and Pat Smith is a good example, he'll jump you in a hotel elevator and he'll kick the s--- out of you. He doesn't think twice about it. There's no sense of morality.

Jeff Blatnick (color commentator): There was Tank Abbott and there's Dave Abbott. Dave I enjoy. I like him. Tank has rough edges.

Isaacs: I think Abbott is and was a complete sociopath when he started in UFC. He lives by his own code and he's very serious about it. If I needed something from Abbott right now, he would come here. He's very loyal and very real. Once he made more money, you haven't heard about a fight from Abbott outside the ring in 10 years at least. So how crazy is he?

Davie: I liked Tank from the first minute I met him. He went to my office at WOW Promotions. In those days, he had no beard and was clean-shaven. He was wearing a button-down, light-green shirt, chinos and loafers. He was carrying a bag with athletic clothing in it. He got to my office and said, "Well, I'm ready." I said, "Ready for what?" He said, "I'm ready for anybody you want me to beat up."

Bruce Beck (play-by-play commentator): I thought David Abbott was a very intelligent guy and knew exactly what he was doing. He sat with me and Jeff one night and did color commentary. He grabbed for my groin on the air to make me jump. I did! He was a character. He had a flask, and I could smell the alcohol on his breath. He played the role to a T.

Davie: SEG felt he was star quality. He actually had the highest Q rating of anyone in the UFC. When it came time to getting someone on "Friends," we brought over Vitor Belfort and Tank. The producers wanted Abbott, and SEG was more than happy to push him.

Shamrock: These guys would be out drinking, doing whatever they wanted to do, telling people to screw off, punching old men. The way the sport was, trying to be accepted at that time, it rubbed me wrong. I thought, "This thing's never going to get going if we get guys like this in here."

While Abbott and Shamrock threatened genuine violence, SEG was concerned over conflict of a different sort. Robert DePersia, a lawyer and sports agent out of New Jersey who had been introduced to the event through Dan Severn, had quietly been recruiting the majority of the UFC's American fighters. Having formed a kind of union, he could make demands that strained the limits of SEG's reported $1.2 million per event budget.

Robert DePersia (manager): I was the only representative involved in the industry at that time. The other managers were siblings, parents, friends, but none that had any formalized training. What I did was real simple -- I effectively tried to create a union. That's unofficially exactly what I did.

Isaacs: My initial thought was, "He's a lawyer, so this will be much easier. He's got a bunch of the fighters, so that could be one-stop shopping for us." I think initially we hoped it would be a good thing.

Davie: I remember Meyrowitz and I would have discussions and meetings early on, over the phone, about dealing very carefully with Robert DePersia. We acknowledged that when DePersia made his appearance on the UFC stage, that he was certainly a cut above the type of manager or agent we had been dealing with. We respected and understood that.

Part 3 in the next comment

(Continued)

Ultimate ultimate 96 behind the scenes through quotes by the promoters and fighters in it (part 3) :

Varelans: I think SEG feared [DePersia's involvement]. They were about as childish as you can get. Anyone trying to establish a measure of control in the business, they're going to hate your guts.

DePersia: I had every one of them and was able to approach the management and basically say, "Look, I have all these guys. You really can't do an event without me." I had the ability at that point to change everybody's pay structure and everybody's salaries to where they could actually make a living as opposed to just getting $500 to participate. We also created opportunities for multifight deals, which never would've been done before.

Davie: Meyrowitz and I talked about the fact that the UFC was the brand and that it was bigger than the fighters. There was nobody we felt in MMA at that point in time that was bigger than the UFC. The brand was the star.

DePersia: We tried to get name recognition and star power. I started to develop that with my guys despite what the UFC group wanted. They didn't want any type of star power. They wanted the brand name. You had interchangeable components that cost minimal money. I tried to go the other way, to create identities.

Hall: I didn't think I could get anywhere in the business without having a good manager like that, who has everyone else hooked up.

Isaacs: We weren't thrilled with the idea DePersia could exercise pricing power or decision-making power on our product simply by representing the fighters.

DePersia: They couldn't do a show unless we agreed. You took a union-type position. It really benefited everybody because it raised the entire pay scale for everyone. They didn't expect it and, obviously, they hated it.

Nothing angered SEG more than when DePersia sent several fighters to Japan to participate in a show that took place only three weeks prior to the Ultimate Ultimate. Dubbed U-Japan, it featured Frye, Hall, Varelans and Kimo -- virtually half of SEG's tournament lineup.

Frye: Meyrowitz was pissed. He was screaming at me on the telephone. I love old Bob, but s---, I was 30 years old, 10 feet tall and bulletproof.

Davie: If there was a potential injury, you're damaging a show we've booked. Marketing materials were in circulation. There was concern DePersia was booking these people too close to the event.

Isaacs: It was bulls---, absolute bulls--- from DePersia. He thought he was very sneaky, thought he'd have a monopoly on the talent and could exercise that pricing power with us. We didn't know about it. It's not like we said, "Oh, good plan!" There were guys at risk of potentially losing.

DePersia: You have to understand, it's not like it is now where you look and constantly see there's an event on. At that point, events were far and few between. If one was coming up and you weren't part of it, it might be several months before one came up again. You fought like crazy to get on that card. Who knew when the next one was coming?

Isaacs: He was operating as though he was an independent player in this business. It wasn't helpful for a fighter to be represented by DePersia at that point. I would never say I would not use a fighter because of who represents them, but I would say to them that it was hard for us to work with him.

Beck: We were looking for a smaller venue, with screaming, enthusiastic, drunk fans. That was our target audience.

Worsham: We had curtains backstage, almost like an ER. So you hear, "Ahhh!" Guys all around you, guys from the prelim fights coming in moaning and groaning, "Stop the bleeding," and all this stuff. It was kind of crazy.

Abbott: When I get there, I'm getting the cold shoulder from [referee] John McCarthy and his wife, Elaine. [Abbott had exchanged words with Elaine several months prior over his participation in a ringside brawl.] Then I get to the arena and everybody's got a dressing room. That was part of Elaine's job at the show. I have a broom closet, a little broom closet. I'm like, "Are you kidding me?" She's like, "Oh, that's all we have." I told them all to f--- off.

Shamrock: I remember when I fought Royce Gracie. I thought the same thing -- I was kind of stuck in a small room. He got the bigger room with all his family in it, the closed-circuit TV. But to me, he's the champ. He's the guy on top. Until you get to that point, don't bitch.

Worsham: There was a training area within the hotel with mats. All week long, it stayed the same order: everyone else, Tank, then me. I got the last slot of the night. And this particular room at the hotel in Birmingham, they had glass walls and papered it over. It was a storage area for all of their holiday ornaments. The room was fairly dark because of the paper and only a little bit of light from the lobby would come in.

I'm literally in there two minutes or less and somebody in my group yelled, "Stop, you're bleeding." I looked and there were dots of blood all over my legs, my arms, my back, my face. What we had found was that somebody had taken some very small Christmas light bulbs and had crushed them up and thrown them on the mat. I can't prove who did it, but I can tell you nobody else complained about it but me. So you can figure out who did what and when.

Abbott: That is absolute, pure fantasy. To even go to that level, that people are trying to sabotage you, he's just making up stories. Cal Worsham I wouldn't even think about at all, much less, "Oh, let's put Christmas ornaments on the mat."

Isaacs: If it did happen, I would say it may not have been Abbott. Abbott is a wrestler. I don't think he would mess with that. He respects things like that, but his guys were not above pulling dirty tricks.

Shamrock's first-round opponent was Johnston, a capable Judoka who had competed -- and lost -- to some of the sport's best in Frye and Coleman.

Johnston: He took me down off a kick, a beautiful takedown. It was textbook. But my guard really lacked. I didn't attempt a sweep. There were 100 different things that I knew how to do by that point, but I didn't do them. Ken, with his stature at that time -- I could've done so much more.

Shamrock: Brian was always a decent-sized guy. But when he came into this fight, man, he was big. Immediately, I changed what I was going to do. By staying in his guard and driving his head against the fence like I did, I had easy access to punching him.

Johnston: Hitting someone in the skull so many times, you're doing more harm to [yourself] than to them.

Davie: Ken came in buffed up, tight, strong. But again, looking at him with Brian Johnston pinned up against the fence, knowing Ken's hands tended to be brittle, seeing him throw as many punches as he did, I remember David Isaacs grabbing my coat and saying, with panic in his eyes, "Is he going to be OK?"

part 4 in the next comment

(Continued)

Ultimate ultimate 96 behind the scenes through quotes by the promoters and fighters in it (part 4) :

Shamrock: When I was striking, everything was landing where I wanted it to. Then he turned and I hit him on the top of the head. That's when I broke it. I kept punching continuously after that with the same hand, and then it went numb. I had to change hands and start punching with my left. He gave me that choke against the fence after I punched him several times.

As Shamrock dropped a hint to interviewer Tony Blauer that his hand would need a doctor's investigation, Frye entered to face Goodridge a second time -- their first fight at UFC 8 had left both men gasping for air. This would be no different.

Goodridge: I wasn't a wrestler at all. I didn't like my body getting sweaty and then losing the grip. I wanted to get hold of him, keep a grip on him. The thing is, I saw Royce Gracie use the Gi and it worked for him. So I thought, "What the hell, why wouldn't it work for me?"

Frye: Oh, I was happy as a pig in s--- when he wore the Gi. It's a handle to grab hold of and be able to swing for the fences. I knew that it would wear him out because old Gary is just solid muscle. Those Gis are hot. It makes you dehydrate twice as fast. And I know Judo. Every bit of it was to my advantage.

Worsham: You saw it once Gary's heart kind of sunk and he gave up the ghost by tapping. But up until that point, he was really manhandling Don. Don was really well-rounded and had the heart of a lion. You'd have to kill him to beat him.

Goodridge: I was completely exhausted. There was no way I could've continued. If the fight had continued, they would've stopped it anyway because he would've just been beating on me. I just needed to lie down. My corner was like, "Get him some oxygen!" I couldn't even talk. I had never been that tired in my life.

Frye: I cheated even though there was no cheating back then. I brought a buddy of mine that was a paramedic, and after the fight he put three bags of IV fluid into me. It rehydrated me immediately, so I was good to go right away.

For the second quarterfinal bout, SEG's subtle sense of humor manifested itself in onetime-jailbird Abbott facing Folsom State Prison correctional officer Worsham.

Worsham: Apparently, in interviews he had told Blatnick he was going to be the first one to throw his opponent out of the cage. And he got real, real close.

Abbott: Everybody's going, "Oh, you tried to throw him out of the Octagon." The fact of the matter is, if I wanted to throw him out of the Octagon, I could've very easily done that. I could've thrown him 6 feet up in the air and over the top. But I did not want to go back to do everything all over again, so I just grabbed and slammed him on his back.

Worsham: The only thing that saved me was the padding on top. I put my heel under it. That's the only thing that stopped him from throwing me out. If he had thrown me, people would've been cheering and laughing. I would've had to get up and get someone to open the cage up for me. I get enough flak as it is: "Oh, you're the guy Tank almost threw out." Yeah -- almost. But he didn't.

Isaacs: I think Worsham wanted to show a clean-cut guy could teach Tank a lesson.

Worsham: Tank turns to McCarthy and says, "He's eye-gouging me." John says, "Watch the fingers, Cal." Well, I wasn't! But every time he said that, his left hand was on the right side of my face and his thumb is below my eye, so he's digging his thumb into my eye and for some reason there's not a single camera angle that catches it. At that point, while he was doing that, I reached out and tapped.

Abbott: I don't need to stick my finger in Cal Worsham's eye. That's ridiculous.

Worsham: John came in and put a hand on his shoulder and one on me and so I relaxed my guard. Tank rears up and drills me with his right hand in the mouth with his two knuckles like he was trying to break off my upper palate. I was shocked and livid.

Davie: I remember reprimanding him about his behavior in the bout with Worsham.

Worsham: I get up and John pushes me into the fence. It was bizarre. I went from worrying about the chest injury to this. My brother said, "You should've been that mad from the start.'"

Despite all the favorites advancing, the semifinals were immediately in disarray. Kimo, having exhausted himself against Varelans, pulled out; having broken his hand, Shamrock was unable to satisfy the audience's desire to see him settle his score with Abbott. Alternate Nelmark would be Shamrock's replacement.

part 5 in the next comment

(Continued)

Ultimate ultimate 96 behind the scenes through quotes by the promoters and fighters in it (part 5) :

Abbott: I had a go-to type of guy, not really a cornerman. He carried out what I wanted done. He goes, "Ken's not going to fight you." This was after [the Worsham bout]. He says, "I'm telling you right now, he is not going to fight you." Sure enough, what happens? Ken comes back injured. I'd like to see his medical reports.

Shamrock: I thought I could still fight. I wasn't going to punch with Tank. I was going to go in and throw a couple of leg kicks, maybe throw one or two punches and then take him down against the fence and sweep him. But when I got back to the triage, I had a big lump in my hand. I'm sure the bone would've come through the skin sooner or later.

Nelmark: They told me Shamrock broke his hand and couldn't fight. I had fought Marcus Bossett first. I delivered 36 head-butts in that fight. The only reason I know that number is because afterward the announcer asked if my 36 head-butts contributed to me winning. They asked about [fighting] Tank and I said, "Sure."

Abbott: We all saw what happened in that fight.

Nelmark: I had him choked out. If anyone watches the fight, he put his hand down, and I thought he tapped. I had him in a front choke. I loosened up, and he caught me on the side of the head that was soft from the head-butts.

Worsham: It looked like he broke Nelmark's neck. When I saw that, I thought, "Jeez, thank god that didn't happen to me."

Isaacs: He looked like a rag doll. Art Davie and I were sitting right behind them.

Nelmark: I wasn't even knocked out. If you watch the fight, it looks horrible because I just collapse. He hit a part of my nervous system that knocked my motor functions out. I collapsed because I couldn't move. But I never lost consciousness.

Abbott: [Laughing.] I'd sooner say he was stretched out.

Davie: When Nelmark got hit, I remember looking at Richard Istrico, our fight doctor, and thinking, "You need to get into the ring." Nelmark looked gut-shot. He looked like he had been hit by a bolt between the eyebrows.

Isaacs: I think we definitely didn't want to linger on something, especially when we didn't know yet whether there was a serious injury. If it were, I wouldn't want be seen profiting from that moment.

Davie: Quite frankly, videos like that were used to promote the show.

With Kimo out, Frye's proverbial bad penny turned up once more: Moo Yea Do martial artist Hall was an undersized but determined competitor who had already taken two prolonged beatings from Frye that year, including one just three weeks prior at U-Japan.

Hall: After I took Don almost the distance at UFC 10, Frye's camp was real mad. They always made me feel guilty because I should've tapped out so Don could've saved his energy and gone on to win. Like, "If you knew you were going to lose, why prolong the fight?" Because, motherf---er, I'm not a quick tap. I know that there could be a chance I could win. My motto was, "Don't ever give up."

Frye: The first time I fought him, I was full of myself. I was arrogant. I felt sorry for him having to fight me. That's why I just attacked the body for 10 minutes. He was too dumb to quit, so I started tagging him in the face. That was my fault. I should've gone for the kill right away.

Worsham: The first time he fought Don, [Hall] showed a lot of heart. Frye had cracked Mark's ribs with body shots and Don heard it. [Don] told him to give up and Mark said, "I can't."

Hall: I guess he thought he was going to make short work of me the second time in Japan, but he's lucky because my rib was broken on my left side. Nobody knew that. I had to fight because I had bills.

Frye: They walk in and say Kimo's out. OK, well, who am I fighting? They said Hall. If you saw the fight between me and him in Japan, I whooped the s--- out of him. He looked like he got a face full of buckshot pellets. I wasn't worried.

Hall: So we're sitting there and all of the alternates are almost used up. Then they called me out and it was, "Go get ready, you're going to fight Don Frye." He just kept popping up in my career. I'm like, "Why doesn't this guy get lost?"

In contrast to their earlier meetings, Hall tapped to an Achilles lock just 20 seconds into their Ultimate Ultimate bout, writhing in pain on the mat. He was helped backstage by Varelans.

Nine months later, Hall issued a statement claiming he had been pressured by Frye's camp to get Frye in and out of the cage quickly so he'd be fresh for the finals, with promises of a share of Frye's purse for cooperating. Their logic, according to Hall, was that Frye had beaten him twice over and there was no point in tiring Frye out when he had a legitimate shot at defeating Abbott.

Isaacs: All I can do is go: Does it seem like that fight ended a lot quicker than I thought it would? Yes. Does it make sense from a business perspective they would want to do that? I can understand it. Would Mark do it? I don't know. He may just have said that so people wouldn't think he lost so quickly.

Frye: Hall's a f---ing psycho. Accept the defeat like a man. Why would I need anybody to ask him to throw the fight?

Worsham: I know Don really well. He'll kick your ass the good old-fashioned way. He didn't need Mark Hall to throw anything.

Isaacs: Most of the time, if the fix is in, the promoters are the ones doing the fixing. We never fixed fights. I thought about it, to be honest. But we never did. It probably would've helped our business to come at it from that perspective.

Davie: As a booker and matchmaker, when I look at that fight, I would have my suspicions. But we did not make it an issue.

Johnston: We did train a lot of ankle locks. Don and I worked on a lot of them. Honestly, I don't know what happened. I've never asked Don about it. I've known him a long time. I just don't see him going there. But nobody ever knows.

part 6 in the next comment

(Continued)

Ultimate ultimate 96 behind the scenes through quotes by the promoters and fighters in it (part 6) :

Hall: There was one guy at the after-party, [UFC Interviewer] Tony Blauer. He asked me, "Hey, Mark, was that real?" I just looked at him and smiled. That's all I did. I put my hands out, shrugged my shoulders. Nothing else I could do.

Hall stewed, believing Frye owed him a financial gift for the quick finish. With no athletic commission in Alabama to mediate, he took his grievance to UFC president Bob Meyrowitz before going public with the accusation in September 1997.

Hall: I called Bob and he said, "Why are you doing this? Why are you telling us? Do you want something?" I go, "No, I don't want anything. I just want you to know that." I honestly didn't even want to fight anymore. The fight business had made me sick. I was tired of it. I got ruined in a way you can't put back together.

DePersia: The first time I heard about it was when he talked about it. I was like, "What's he talking about?" It caught everybody by surprise. Everybody who dealt with me knows I was always straightforward. People who knew me knew it was something I would not be even remotely involved with.

Johnston: Think about it logically. Would you ask Mark to throw the fight? It's kind of comical when you think of his ability.

Hall: Don's very tough and he's got a lot of technique. But to me, he's a bully. If you just want to fight smaller guys all the time, you're just a bully. Every time he fought somebody who was his size and had experience, he had to pack a lunch.

Frye: If you're fool enough to believe him, believe him. If you've got enough common sense not to believe him, I don't need to waste my breath trying to convince you.

Varelans: I don't think anyone's ego at that point would allow them to do that.

Hall: It's probably taken years off my life, just f---ing thinking and worrying about it. I can't stand it.

Then as now, Hall was unable to provide any corroborating evidence for the claim: If Frye and Hall had any communication prior to their bout, no one backstage has stepped forward to confirm it. Frye toyed with the idea of legal action but dismissed it in favor of challenging Hall for a fourth time -- winner take all. The bout never materialized.

Isaacs: I think we had sort of done our thing with Hall. We knew he was a game fighter, but we didn't necessarily need that. He wasn't a guy who was actively going to compete for a title.

Hall: Why did I have to fight Frye all the time? It's just a bunch of s---. I should've fought people like Jerry Bohlander. But I never got to. I never f---ing got to.

Having put Hall down for the third time in six months, Frye entered the finals against Abbott. Both men appeared relatively unscathed, a rarity for the UFC's unforgiving format. It would be the most exciting -- albeit brief -- finish to a tournament the promotion would ever see.

Abbott: I go in there and hit him with a jab; I rock him pretty good. He's out on his feet.

Davie: When Tank and Frye were in the final -- Tank had been taking some boxing lessons -- he threw the toughest, straightest, hardest jab that pushes Frye back across the Octagon. Isaacs grabs my leg and he says to me, "He's going to win. He's going to do it."

Abbott: I was shuffling back, hitting him, and he staggered and stepped on my foot. I fell on my back.

Beck: I think Tank just fatigued. Worsham and Nelmark were beatable, but then he was up against Frye, who had skill. I remember thinking that if he doesn't win in the first minute or two, he's done.

Frye: When I fought him, he was at his peak. He was benching 600 pounds. The UFC paid for Jesse Reid to train Tank because they wanted Tank to be their poster boy. When I beat him, I beat a real man.

Abbott: I had been working on an ankle lock. When people had gotten on my back, I could reach down and grab their toe, dig my elbow into their shin and snap their foot, basically. Everybody that I had done it with was wearing wrestling shoes. So I was all right with the fact I was going to get his ankle and get him to tap out -- if not snap his foot.

Isaacs: He's monstrously strong, and his thinking was always guys won't be able to submit him, can't do this, can't do that.

Abbott: But he didn't have shoes on. His feet were all sweaty. His foot just slid right out of my hand. As soon as that happened, I knew I was toast. He got his choke in.

Worsham: Don was John Wayne. He doesn't even have to have it technically correct. He's got titanium rods for arms. He puts pressure on your neck and you're in severe pain. He got the better of Tank. I lived through him vicariously.

Abbott: I went to the cocktail party, he went to the hospital.

Frye: I had a real bad boxer's break in my hand. He's got a hard head. When I got back to the bar, everybody was leaving.

Hall: After the show, Tank and his cronies were waiting for Ken outside. Then Ken got escorted out by security like a little wuss.

part 7 in the next comment

Back