interested in trying new type of grapling

A

alexgncw

i've been wrestling my whole life and have done jitsu for just under 2 years i'm interested in trying something new though (some type of submission based fighting)

what would everyone who knows what they're talking about recommend (i'm considering bjj, sambo or akido but am open to other ideas too) ... bjj not being my first choice since i'm already doing jitsu

so any advice people?

If Sambo is there then take it! I think Judo is an excellent choice as well. Being that you are a natural wrestler I am assuming that you are strong. Learning the throws that Judo has can really come natural with your wrestlering background.

Brazilian Jiu Jit or Sambo.

TJJ is usually so different from BJJ that previous experience in jitsu might actually slow down your progress in BJJ IMO.

cottonzway said:
If Sambo is there then take it! I think Judo is an excellent choice as well. Being that you are a natural wrestler I am assuming that you are strong. Learning the throws that Judo has can really come natural with your wrestlering background.
is there any point in taking something like judo though i mean takedowns are what i'm best at already not saying that i can't improve on them but thats not something that i really need work in i think i wanna improve on finishing the fight and sub escapes more

If you want to improve subs- BJJ

There is usually a big difference between BJJ and jiu jitsu

alexgncw said:
i've been wrestling my whole life and have done jitsu for just under 2 years i'm interested in trying something new though (some type of submission based fighting)

what would everyone who knows what they're talking about recommend (i'm considering bjj, sambo or akido but am open to other ideas too) ... bjj not being my first choice since i'm already doing jitsu

so any advice people?

Wouldn't SW - Submission Wrestling be the best choice? You get the submissions (incl. sambos leglocks) and new takedowns. I.e. all the best from BJJ, Sambo and Judo.

Perhaps there is no club practicing pure SW in you city? Although you mentioned BJJ, Aikido, Sambo and Judo(?) so the chance that there is a pure SW club should exist :wink:

alexgncw said:
is there any point in taking something like judo though i mean takedowns are what i'm best at already not saying that i can't improve on them but thats not something that i really need work in i think i wanna improve on finishing the fight and sub escapes more

At the very least, judo will teach you a little bit about transitioning from standup grappling to groundfighting. You might already know alot of the throws and takedowns practiced in judo, but if you are coming from a wrestling background, chances are you don't know what to do from there. From what I've seen, alot of wrestlers transition alot more smoothly to judo than they do to bjj if they can get used to the gi. the amount of time you spend learning submissions will vary from club to club though. You would be better off just saying where you live. Odds are, someone around here knows of a decent club in your area. There is really no point in learning at a shitty judo club when there is an excellent bjj club down the street, or vice versa. Just get the best training available to you and don't worry too much about the style.

jhn said:
Wouldn't SW - Submission Wrestling be the best choice? You get the submissions (incl. sambos leglocks) and new takedowns. :

What "new" takedowns would a wrestler learn from submission wrestling?

i've been looking around my area but there really isn't that many quality schools around the one i found has classes for sambo, bjj and akido everything else is like an hour+ drive from me or costs $200/month

i live in central nj by the way

alexgncw said:

Judo could show you a "different" way to get someone to the ground and get them in a position to sub them or GnP them. I am assuming you are doing this for MMA. I wasn't really sure though. If you are a wrestler then if someone is fighing you they will expect you to be like a "wreslter." If you come at them with a different approach then you will catch them off guard. You can also learn to end fights with slams. The type of guys who do that are usually very strong and wrestlers are usually very strong. So there is another way to end a fight. Plus Judo does have some subs. Nothing like BJJ, but some. Mainly it will be another way to get them to the ground and maybe hurt them in the process enough to stop the fight. I think it would help you a lot.

rory_44 said:
What "new" takedowns would a wrestler learn from submission wrestling?

c'mon man. wrestling takedowns are going to be different that something with submissions. first off you want to avoid getting choked when you got for the takedown. secondly youy want to avoid the guard too. wrestling takedowns don't tend to take either ito account.

I also have wrestling experience and I started training in Hayastan Grappling. It mixes alot of different types of grappling together. So with that building on a wrestling foundation it fits me like a glove. Don't limit what you study, try and train somewhere where you can learn alot of different techniques from different styles. I have trained with pure BJJ guys, wrestlers and other grappling and it has really helped my game.

DirectDrive said:
c'mon man. wrestling takedowns are going to be different that something with submissions. first off you want to avoid getting choked when you got for the takedown. secondly youy want to avoid the guard too. wrestling takedowns don't tend to take either ito account.

There are lots of wrestling takedowns that are safe for jiu jitsu. Shoot a double and keep your head in the middle of the guys stomach, or you put it off to the side but keep it high and looking up. Also to avoid the guard you shoot a double and dump the guy to the side, hold onto his legs so that he cant turn into guard and then you just walk around into side, its fairly simple. Or if you just do a single leg you can stay standing and hold onto his one leg and run the pipe to put him down, or do a sacrifice trip or a front trip. Wrestlers tend to avoid the front trip tho by jumping over the leg attempting to trip them. Hmm, what else is there, duckunders work pretty well, its not a takedown but it gives you their back standing and that can lead to a RNC or just a simple lift and trip from the back. Arm drags also work well to get the back. You can also do firemans carries, high-crotch singles to a double/dump like I talked about earlier. Wrestling offers an array of takedowns and with a little tweaking they can all by applied to jiu jitsu/sub wrestling.

Back