Interested in catch wrestling?

Foolkiller

You have meddled with the primal forces of nature!
Reaction score
http://www.riverhorse.tv/projects/proj_catch.htm

Catch: The Hold Not Taken looks at the origins of catch wrestling and the techniques that later became part of pro-wrestling. It covers the roots of the sport in Westmoreland, Cumberland and Cornish Wrestling, Bill Riley's Snake Pit Gym, Riley's influence on Karl Gotch as explained by former NJPW IWGP champion Tatsumi Fujinami and while it does have an old school wrestler taking a pop at the modern form of entertainment, this video is certainly worth picking up if anyone has a genuine interest in the evolution of wrestling and the days when Boston Crabs were not considered weak finishers in the WWE.

Hackenschmit by neck crank?

Also these ideas seem out dated, i mean this one guy says you can never train too hard. And I think you can. Billy Riley. I shall copy and paste.

Dan Gable agrees that you can never train too hard; not saying either man is right, but many great athletes share that philosophy. Catch-as-catch-can rules and neck-cranks are very bloody effective if you are either technical enough or strong enough to make them work.

I would say you can't train too hard, but you can train too dumb.

The documentary is interesting, too bad it doesn't show a lot of techniques. There's some nice footage of old cacc wrestling, but very short.

We did a little bit of catch with Leigh Remedios when I was over in England. There is definitely alot of functional stuff there for sure. I'll have a look of it.

i saw this documentery a few months ago, totally excellent, but then i'm biased because i'm english :D

but seriously, anyone with any real interest in grappling should agree.

"Catch-as-catch-can"

I've seen this unusual phrase many times. I know what it refers to, but what's it mean?

It is the old name for pro wrestling.

Its essentially American folk-wrestling with submissions.

It means you catch whatever you can catch and then try to break it or do something nasty to it.

Check out stuff by Tony Cecchine (I think I spelled that right)...he's probably the leading American advocate of CACC and his videos have some very interesting ideas. The main problem I've found is that unlike BJJ which emphasizes technique and how the small guy can beat a big opponent, most of the CACC "moves" are a hell of a lot more effective if you're strong as hell, I don't think smaller/weaker guys would be able to pull off some of the trademark moves on a stronger opponent.

possenti said:
"Catch-as-catch-can"

I've seen this unusual phrase many times. I know what it refers to, but what's it mean?
I don't know for sure, but from what I've read this is how I understand it...

Many folk styles of wrestling from various countries the match begins with both wrestlers starting with some sort of standard hold or position from the very beginning. Catch-as-catch-can starts two standing opponents facing each other and can go for a hold anywere on the body.

Back