"Intentional" or "unintentional" shouldn't matter

Chitaouri

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
at all.

There is something fundamentally wrong with the rules and the way they are applied.
Its basically a unofficial rule that you are allowed to kick and knee your opponent in the groin, eyepoke him, grab the fence (whatever illegal technique), at least once without being penalized for it.
Even 'warnings' are stupid, because you have already been warned in the lockerroom and you are also a pro who knows the rules anyways.

So when a foul is applied, first of all there should be a point taken away immediately.
Further shouldnt it matter if it was "intentional" or "unintentional".
Nobody can assume someone elses intention, especially in a matter of seconds, and more importantly it doesnt matter for the fighter being hurt with that illegal technique. He has to deal with the fucking pain or the fucking scratched blurry eye. He is handicapped for the rest of the fight, and it doesnt matter how much.

You just gotta hope the Ref does their job.

at all.

There is something fundamentally wrong with the rules and the way they are applied.
Its basically a unofficial rule that you are allowed to kick and knee your opponent in the groin, eyepoke him, grab the fence (whatever illegal technique), at least once without being penalized for it.
Even 'warnings' are stupid, because you have already been warned in the lockerroom and you are also a pro who knows the rules anyways.

So when a foul is applied, first of all there should be a point taken away immediately.
Nobody can assume someone elses intention, especially in a matter of seconds, and more importantly it doesnt matter for the fighter being hurt with that illegal technique. He has to deal with the fucking pain or the fucking scratched blurry eye. He is handicapped for the rest of the fight, and it doesnt matter how much.

I can already imagine fighters blocking their opponent's kicks with their groins on purpose.<{1-10}>

But yeah, something must be done about cases of blatant cheating. A single point deduction when a fighter has grabbed the fence and poked their opponent like 15 times is too little of a punishment. I think the judge should still give one and only one warning, but only in cases where it didn't look like the fighter was trying to cheat intentionally, because accidental pokes and headbutts do happen.

Theres a difference though bc if I walk up and three stooges you in the eye yeah take a point but if I poke you in an exchange warn me to watch out for that and if I do it again then take a point.

Theres a difference though bc if I walk up and three stooges you in the eye yeah take a point but if I poke you in an exchange warn me to watch out for that and if I do it again then take a point.
take 2 points away with blatant fouls then

Eye pokes and fence grabs for sure, don't extend your fingers towards your opponent and don't grab the fence... Not that complicated really. Sometimes when fighters throw kicks or knees at the same time an accidental low blow can happen though. However with eye pokes and fence grabs "oops I accidentally grabbed the fence multiple times after you telling me not to! Easy mistake, it's a new rule right?" "Sorry I didn't mean to poke him in the eye I was just fully extending my fingers in his direction because I was trying to... Not poke him in the eyes!"

Fouls are fouls in every other sport in the world. If you bean someone in baseball, it's a foul regardless if it's intentional or not. Grabbing a helmet in football, traveling in basketball, etc, etc. You break the rules, you get penalized.

Instead of docking points for every single violation, I think they just need have new rule sets:

Eye poke - Automatic point deduction
Fingers Out - If you get warned for fingers out and cause an eye poke, 2 points.
Groin strike - Automatic point deduction
Cage Grab - If it prevents a takedown, the fight gets paused and you get put on the ground. If you grab just out of instinct, you get warned. Repeatedly doing it, point.

You make a good case. So much so, that I'm inclined to agree.

*side-note-
I also think that if you don't make weight, you should start round 1 down a point.o_O

at all.

I agree with everything expect the unintentional same as intentional part.

There are unintentional fouls, usually when the injured side places himself in the way of harm. Headbutts are the most common form of truly unintentional fouls.

But yeah, fighters can kick each other in the balls at least once per fight and that is fucking ridiculous. Same goes for eye pokes, those can happen multiple times without any penalty which is also fucking ridiculous.

But sometimes it's obviously unintentional. You can tell it was a complete accident live and on the replays.
There should be a break in the action but no point deducted.
as is

I don't necessarily agree, but I can't doubt that it'd be effective in stopping the majority of fouls.

at all.

Jon Jones would have had a shit ton of DQs if cheating inside the cage was punished like that by now.

But sometimes it's obviously unintentional. You can tell it was a complete accident live and on the replays.
There should be a break in the action but no point deducted.
as is
like i explained in the OP that doesnt matter for the foul receiving fighter.

So treat an inside leg kick that slides up the leg the same as a sprinting soccer style dick kick?

Fouls are fouls in every other sport in the world. If you bean someone in baseball, it's a foul regardless if it's intentional or not. Grabbing a helmet in football, traveling in basketball, etc, etc. You break the rules, you get penalized.

Instead of docking points for every single violation, I think they just need have new rule sets:

Eye poke - Automatic point deduction
Fingers Out - If you get warned for fingers out and cause an eye poke, 2 points.
Groin strike - Automatic point deduction
Cage Grab - If it prevents a takedown, the fight gets paused and you get put on the ground. If you grab just out of instinct, you get warned. Repeatedly doing it, point.

Under these rules you would magically see less of all of these. Almost like it is avoidable if there is motivation.

Exhibit A: Romero vs Jacare. Yoel's blatant cage grab in the 2nd round that went unpenalized literally changed the final outcome of the fight

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back