intensity level to deserve pwo?

Cyclone Mike

Amateur Fighter
@Green
Reaction score
so i realize that carbs in ur pwo are a good thing and that pwo nutrition is a necessity BUT my question is at what point do you consider something a workout?

for example, training bjj somedays u go hard and those days i feel deserve pwo. but what about days when u just roll light? same applies for thai boxing, some days you drill ur ass off and some days u just work some technique and light sparring.

sometimes i feel like downing 60g of carbs pretty close to bed just isnt right if u havent earned it. so when have u earned it?

If you take a peri-drink with 2:1 carb:protein or 4:1 carb: protein, use it for all physical activity.

If you take a huge dose of protein after your workouts, only do it when you feel like you worked out enough to warrant it. There is also nothing wrong with scheduling your meals to be after any workout.

If you're going to have BJJ class, eat a meal a few hours before and have a monster shake after.. then eat another meal a few hours later.

sometimes i feel like downing 60g of carbs pretty close to bed just isnt right if u havent earned it. so when have u earned it?

It's a great question but the answer can only be subjective.

Protein is always a great idea, but you're right in that carb intake should be intensity dependent.

Give yourself 3 different intensity/work levels for a given session. For every level of intensity you enter, add 20g of carbs. So if it's a light session you're only downing 20g CHO in your drink.

I usually make the decision based on how I feel. However, I ALWAYS have some kind of PWO protein and carbs. The only variable is how much I have.

On upper body lift days I usually do about 20 grams of protein and 40 grams of carbs in milk. After lower body lift days and BJJ classes I do 30 and 60 in water immediately after and a meal and milk when I get home.

Keep in mind I'm a big guy and that's why the quantities might seem large.

Back