Instructional Technique Implementation Process

KikoJones

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
This may silly question but do you have a systematic process to review Instructional Video Sets and begin incorporating them into your game?

How do you digest the volumes of information out there? Some of these sets are HOURS long.

I do well with private lessons because its two communication with immediate feedback but struggle with even starting with DVDs. I have a shit load of them just gathering virtual dust.

Last edited:
This may silly question but do you have a systematic process to review Instructional Video Sets and begin incorporating them into your game?

How do you digest the volumes of information out there? Some of these sets are HOURS long.

I do well with private lessons because its two communication with immediate feedback.

first i just watch them all the way through, as though its a movie (not always in one sitting). Then I watch the first sections several times and take notes, particularly if it's a move-oriented instructional (e.g. the "here's how to do a darce..." section). Once i feel like i understand how the primary mechanism works, i will pick out a move that seems reasonable, go over it in my head, and then will find a partner and drill it a few times before class until i get it to work. i will then roll with as many white and blue belts as i can find, doing this move on them as often i can. once i feel i've mastered the move, which could take a few days, I'll pick another move and repeat the process. By now, II'll start to have a good idea of opponent defenses, and so will be able to seek out specific sections that address a given defense I'm seeing. i'm also looking to perfect my basic technique at this point, so i will rewatch various chapters just looking for little offhand phrases like "very important that you pinch your elbows here..." If there's competition footage available, then this is the point where I'm scouring youtube looking for matches where the instructor uses the technique.

Last edited:
Best to have a drilling partner who also is interested in the same content to watch and drill with. If they are unavailable I think you just gotta work on it a step at a time and look for small things like initially just trying to get in the position you need to be in then attempt the move and realize what you're forgetting then reviewing the vids again. Trying to incorporate/hit the move/concepts without a drilling partner only really works for me if I'm already decently familiar with the move. Even then it's pretty hard but if you are at least able to be in the position to try it then you can watch the vids to figure out what went wrong then try again next time you train

Also, I like to watch the whole thing through unless it's a multi-hour long one then I'll break it up into few hour long DVDs. If I have a drilling buddy and the moves are extremely new, then I'll watch them in shorter increments and drill them before watching more

Do you have someoneo to drill them on? If so implement them a move at a time. Watch it, try it out, rewatch it, drill it some more. Add some more moves.

Also, I like to watch the whole thing through unless it's a multi-hour long one then I'll break it up into few hour long DVDs. If I have a drilling buddy and the moves are extremely new, then I'll watch them in shorter increments and drill them before watching more

yeah, i think watching them all the way through first is very important so that you can get a feel for the instructional style, and sort-of learn by osmosis before getting into the details.

I do well with private lessons because its two communication with immediate feedback but struggle with even starting with DVDs. I have a shit load of them just gathering virtual dust.
What belt are you?

It's not feasible to think you can absorb hours and hours of DVD sets and be apply to use it all. Find the one that suits your style the best and focus on just that one.

As a white/blue belt I watched the Damien Maia Science of Jiu-jitsu series multiple times. I'd watch each lesson three or so times before moving on. Instead of just teaching moves he had a way of teaching that showed how leverage and angles were important that could be applied in all situations. Helped me a ton and it still applies.

Now, at brown belt I just look at specific moves that fit my game or correct a weakness.

We have an open drilling class at my school once a week where we drill what we want for an hour. Usually I watch a few techniques from a DVD right before the class then drill the moves in that class. It has helped me incorporate stuff that way. I am not good enough to watch a DVD once and then do the move in rolling. I have had people I've trained with that can do that.

Back