Instructional Jiu Jitsu DVD/Video

rominho

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
Hi guys ... I have just started my Jiu Jitsu classes .. I thought it would be a good idea to get an instructional DVD to give me an extra help on theory and technique.

Can you guy recommend any? (GI on Jiu Jitsu preferably)

I heard the videos from Roy Harris are very good.

What about Earthbound from the Submissions 101 team?!

No, but seriously..for a beginner, Roy Dean has put out a new blue belt requirements dvd. Go to his website or do a search, and you'll be able to find some clips from it. He is very technical and very detailed, and he's a student of Roy Harris. He is also very well spoken, which is a huge bonus.

I borrowed Saulo Ribeiro's Jiu-Jitsu Revolution Series 1 instructionals, and it definitely deserves the hype it has. Very detailed on theory and "old Jiujitsu".

I just got a copy of Blue Belt Requirements by Roy Dean (black belt under Roy Harris), and I've gotta say it's really very good. The instruction is crystal clear. No flashy stuff or exotic tricks to catch your fellow white belt, just very solid fundamentals. Also includes the often ignored topics of TAKEDOWNS and UKEMI (breakfalls), which are really very important. Includes some nice demonstration footage as well.

For beginners, I would strongly recommend the aforementioned Blue Belt Requirements - my long review of it here. Great coverage of the basics.

However, I would also note that if you've just started, jumping straight into instructional DVDs may not be a good idea. I'd suggest concentrating on class and asking your instructor questions when you're having trouble with a technique, then think about DVDs and videos a little further down the line. Ideally, DVDs and the like should be acting as a supplement to your training, refining the techniques you've already been shown in class, particularly as a beginner. The Roy Dean DVD should be perfect for that, but you might want to get a few months of class under your belt first.

BJJ & MMA review

Here is a cool site..

For GI: Roy Dean and Roy Harris 201 would be good for you. Also Robson Moura is a great (if not one of the best) GI DVD out there.

For beginners, I would strongly recommend the aforementioned Blue Belt Requirements - my long review of it here. Great coverage of the basics.

However, I would also note that if you've just started, jumping straight into instructional DVDs may not be a good idea. I'd suggest concentrating on class and asking your instructor questions when you're having trouble with a technique, then think about DVDs and videos a little further down the line. Ideally, DVDs and the like should be acting as a supplement to your training, refining the techniques you've already been shown in class, particularly as a beginner. The Roy Dean DVD should be perfect for that, but you might want to get a few months of class under your belt first.

Did he send you a free copy? How do I get on that train?

BJJ & MMA review

Here is a cool site..

For GI: Roy Dean and Roy Harris 201 would be good for you. Also Robson Moura is a great (if not one of the best) GI DVD out there.

I just finished watching half of the Robson Moura Set. and I can already confidently state that this is the Best overall Gi BJJ set I've ever seen. I would recomend it mainly for blue belts+ though because some of the techniques are a bit advanced

I just finished watching half of the Robson Moura Set. and I can already confidently state that this is the Best overall Gi BJJ set I've ever seen. I would recomend it mainly for blue belts+ though because some of the techniques are a bit advanced

Even better than Saulo's stuff?

Even better than Saulo's stuff?

I would definately second the opinion on Robson Moura's DVD set. It's definately right up there with Saulo's DVDs, although probably a little more advanced, as previously stated.

For beginners, I always recommend Gustavo Machado's "Great Escapes & Counters" DVD. In the beginning, you need to learn defense first, or you will not have a chance to put forth any offense. This DVD covers a variety of the most common submissions from a variety of positions, and how to defend/escape/counter them. Also covers basic positional escapes. Very solid stuff. FIGHTLIFE

For all around BJJ highly recommend John Will and David Meyers levels 1 - 9 dvds. The first three is great for real beginners.

Saulo is great but really not beginner stuff and starts getting into more of his specific style of grappling versus solid, universal basics. Also agree with the previous post that it may be best just to roll for awhile (6 months?) before focusing on instructionals.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back