Instead of ZMA, why not zine, magnesium, and b6?

stylesbjj**

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Instead of getting ZMA, why not use a zinc, magnesium, and b-vitamin supplement. That is a lot cheaper.

For some reason others couldn't mimic the benefits with their own blends. I remember reading a few old threads and they didn't have much success. It's not a bad idea but ZMA is pretty cheap anyway.

Hmmm apparently aspartate is an amino acid. What does this amino acid do?

I tried this and did not get the same (perceived) effects that I get off ZMA.

why would you buy all three separately? most ZMA supplements i've seen include B6.
forgive me, im having a hard time understanding your concern.

i take a cheap kroger zinc, magnesium, clacium blend.

i took ZMA and it made me wake up in the middle of the night.

the one huge thing that i've heard is that the magnesium asparate has a much better absorption rate than the chelate that is found in many products. i take the 1fast400 zma and i, even with good deals, couldn't find that amount and quality of zinc magnesium and b6 for the same price.

Most ZMA that doesn't have herbal sleep enhancers added is cheaper than taking the supplements on their own. Also, supposadly exactly 30mg of zinc is the sweet spot as far as ZMA is concerned. (not sure how true this is)

If you take zinc and magnesium separately, will it be less effective if taken with muscle milk and milk before bed? I heard somewhere that calcium affects the absorption of zinc and magnesium?

Also is Zinc (as Zinc Gluconate) 30.00 mg 200% no good?

If you take zinc and magnesium separately, will it be less effective if taken with muscle milk and milk before bed? I heard somewhere that calcium affects the absorption of zinc and magnesium?

Also is Zinc (as Zinc Gluconate) 30.00 mg 200% no good?

That dosage of zinc is the amount patented by the original ZMA formula.

Also, the theory (or fact, not sure, so I'll call it theory) regarding calcium, is that taking it with magnesium inhibits the absorbtion of magnesium, because the mechanism our body absorbs both is the same. Calcium has no effect on zinc absorbtion, though. As I've probably said a million times on these forums, the best way to take ZMA as well as a pre-bed shake is to take your ZMA about 45 minutes before you lay down, and drink your shake less than 5 minutes before you lay down.

That dosage of zinc is the amount patented by the original ZMA formula.

Also, the theory (or fact, not sure, so I'll call it theory) regarding calcium, is that taking it with magnesium inhibits the absorbtion of magnesium, because the mechanism our body absorbs both is the same. Calcium has no effect on zinc absorbtion, though. As I've probably said a million times on these forums, the best way to take ZMA as well as a pre-bed shake is to take your ZMA about 45 minutes before you lay down, and drink your shake less than 5 minutes before you lay down.

awesome but what do you think about the zinc gluconate found in the GNC brand of Zinc. Its a lot cheaper but if the zinc is an inferior quality that doesnt absorb that well I wont get it. Im assuming that zinc in ZMA is a higher quality?

awesome but what do you think about the zinc gluconate found in the GNC brand of Zinc. Its a lot cheaper but if the zinc is an inferior quality that doesnt absorb that well I wont get it. Im assuming that zinc in ZMA is a higher quality?

My GNC brand ZMA has Zinc Arginate, 300mg. Which comes to 30mg of pure zinc (which as far as I know is all that matters) I don't realy know enough to make a definitive comment as far as qualities making a difference. I would assume GNC would know what they are doing. I have been using their ZMA for about 4 months now. I'm probably going to experiment with other brands that don't have herbal sleep remedies in the future, though. Maybe MM or KK will come by and can shed some light on the subject of mineral quality in various products.

Might shed some light on the subject:

http://wellnessadvantage.com/?ctr=welltrients

****llic minerals are found in their pure elemental form or as salts such as sodium chloride and zinc sulfate. They are the most commonly used form in nutritional supplements, especially for the essential minerals, because larger amounts are indicated. They are generally the least expensive form of minerals but their primary disadvantage is that their degree of absorption is the least of all three forms. Although they have their place, ****llic minerals do not represent the full spectrum of all the trace minerals that are known to be of value in human nutrition.

Chelated minerals are the next step up the ladder in so far as the body's ability to assimilate. The term "chelate" originates from a Greek word that means "claw". In this process, be it either in the laboratory or in nature itself, a ****llic mineral is "chelated" with an amino acid. The amino acid actually surrounds the ****llic mineral like a claw and thereby helps to solubilize it, making the "mineral chelate" more bioavailable or useful to the body. Examples of chelated minerals are the magnesium aspartate (magnesium chelated with the natural aspartic acid) and chromium picolinate (chromium chelated with picolinic acid). In many cases, chelated minerals are about 40% more efficient in regards to absorption and assimilation into the body than ****llic minerals.

So basically zinc glutonate, zinc arginate and zinc aspartate are similar enough to not make a difference, and all are superior to the mineral in raw form. Thanks for that snippet, it was really informative.

A lot of isolated mineral supps actually have calcium filler. for the most part, almost all ZMA products I've seen were totally calcium free.

Back