Instances when the better fighter just got caught and proved it in the rematch

The Accuser

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
When did the better fighter get caught (or lost a decision), then claimed after the fight that he was still better, and then proved his claims in the rematch?

GSP got caught against Serra and proved it in the rematch, same goes for Cain vs JDS. But both did not open their mouths after getting caught. They did their talking in the rematch.

But I am looking for examples when the better fighter showed no humility after getting caught (or losing a decision) and the went on to prove it in the rematch.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if Shogun ever stated he was better than Forrest Griffen after he lost to him, but he was better and did show it in the rematch.

He did the same thing against Machida. I thought he won the first fight and for sure proved it in the second.

He did the same thing after a flukey loss to Mark Coleman as well.

And I don't even care for Brock much.

GSP got caught against Serra and proved it in the rematch, same goes for Cain vs JDS. But both did not open their mouths after getting caught. They did their talking in the rematch.

Neither one of these are examples of fighters getting caught.

Both GSP and Cain chose to, or were forced to because of injuries, stand with Serra and JDS instead of their usual styles of fighting where the standup is a setup for the takedown and ground game. That's not getting caught, regardless of if you think they should've or could've been the better striker regardless. The rematches proved that had they fought as they usually do they'd have won the first fight.

It's the difference in how they fought that's at issue here, not getting caught. They didn't get caught, they played with fire and paid for it. Fight stupidly and win stupid prizes.

I'm not sure if Shogun ever stated he was better than Forrest Griffen after he lost to him, but he was better and did show it in the rematch.

He did the same thing against Machida. I thought he won the first fight and for sure proved it in the second.

He did the same thing after a flukey loss to Mark Coleman as well.
Forest and Shogun are 1 and 1. How does beating him the second time prove anything? Forest seemed to be having a meltdown after losing the title. A third match would decide things. Hell, if Chael could sub Shogun, Forest could do it (again).

Machida makes sense in that most felt he won the first anyways.

Coleman? How old was he in the rematch?

I would think your favorite fighter was Shogun or something with your post.

I don't like this narrative.

It more or less discredits a win. Every fight comes down to that particular night.
It's not discrediting. Think of it as the underdog getting the win, but then not beating the odds during the rematch.

Like I'd seriously bet Amanda Nunes beats Julianna Pena 9 out of 10 times. But the first time they fought Pena managed to find that 1 out of 10 chance to win. Amazing performance, but we all know who the better fighter is. It proved true in the rematch and it'd most likely be the same if they fight again.

Back