Input on school.

Quirks

White Belt
Reaction score
I currently train at a reputable academy but due to work schedule and family committments its becoming inconvenient. The instruction is top notch but I find myself wondering if I should leave my current instructor because the classes have started to conflict with my work schedule and family life. I'm happy here, learn alot, but also I have to balance family and work. I have to hang around work an extra 1.5 hours because the school is located close to my work rather than my house. If only I lived closer to this academy...

There's another school about 10 minutes from my house, cheaper than my current academy and offers class at a more convenient time. I plan to visit this school this week to see if I should make the transition. With this school, I can leave work at normal time, spend about two hours at home then leave for training.

Here's a link to the new, potential school.

tapoutt.com - Home

I hope you guys can help me determine if this is a legit school before missing a training day. Any input is appreciated even if you tell me to suck it up and quit being a pussy. :icon_chee

Suck it up and quit being a pussy!

In all seriousness, the best way to determine whether it's legit is to check it out in person. From what I can tell on the website, it doesn't seem like a McDojo or nothing.

Yeah worrying about it before checking it out is kind of pointless...

I watched a class last night. I was impressed with their hands on approach to teaching. I really couldn't tell the quality of instruction as I'm still new to jiu jitsu, especially nogi. I will probably start at this school in the next few weeks as the convenience factor is huge.

My only concern was that almost everyone had on Tapout gear. :icon_lol:

Excuse me if I might but I am fluent in TMA ...

Charles is one of only 10 combat Jiu-Jitsu Black Belts awarded by world renowned Walt Bayless. Charles has been training in Martial Arts for over 20 years and holds a Black Belt in Judo under Karl Giest, as well as a Freestyle Kickboxing Champion in his teens under Charles Lingerfelt. Charles has been a Master Instructor for the last 10 years and is known by today

Charles is from a small school. There has only been 10 people who stayed. His teacher name is Walt Bayless, if you try real hard on Google you may find an obscure refference. He has been training TMA for over 20 years but did not like his first style so he switched to others looking for what he felt he could sell. He tried Judo, and When he was a child he did Kick Boxing. He has been a master instructor for over 10 years and this title will insure that you will bow to him in class. He once had a Real Pro MMA Fighter in his school. He trains people in MMA who live in a small community. He has taught a police officer. He also teaches rape prevention and private executive deense classes which means he his not making enough money so he needs to look at other ventures. He hopes to one day open a woman's KIA kick boxing class.

... end translation.

LOL this was truly an awesome post! Kudos!

First post here, i used to go to that school a few months ago, but i had to get a job and now my schedule interferes, so i do muay thai somewhere else . The grappling class is good, they have a competition team called Team Hanebrink and they compete in a lot of local tournaments. And they do have mma fighters, 1 pro fighter and 2 amateur fighters. The 2 amateur fighters fought right after i left the place and both won by armbar( http://ruckusinthecage.com/RITC14.htm ) look for Travis Ferrell and Keith Richardson. Charles is a good instructor and all the other students are really helpful. The kickboxing class is kind of crowded though, in case you were thinking about doing that.

Charles is from a small school. There has only been 10 people who stayed. His teacher name is Walt Bayless, if you try real hard on Google you may find an obscure refference. He has been training TMA for over 20 years but did not like his first style so he switched to others looking for what he felt he could sell. He tried Judo, and When he was a child he did Kick Boxing. He has been a master instructor for over 10 years and this title will insure that you will bow to him in class. He once had a Real Pro MMA Fighter in his school. He trains people in MMA who live in a small community. He has taught a police officer. He also teaches rape prevention and private executive deense classes which means he his not making enough money so he needs to look at other ventures. He hopes to one day open a woman's KIA kick boxing class.

... end translation.

Actually, Walt Bayless is a reasonably big name, who was teaching a newaza intense kind of Jiu-Jitsu for a number of years. He currently quit teaching and is fantasy type artist. How legitimate is his style??? I've been curious about it for a long time, but from what I can tell from the few sources I've come across it is basically BJJ now with a different belt system. So depending on the instructor it could be as legitimate as someone claiming sub-wrestling... meaning it could be very good, or very mediocre.

I like the school and all. The instruction seems good. I'm very inexeperienced though. It's a very laid back atmosphere and everyone seems very nice and outgoing. Strictly nogi so I have to get used to not grabbing a gi.

One concern I have is that we are taught a submission or two and haven't really worked on positioning during instruction. I've only been there for about two weeks so I may have missed those instructionals. I'm going to ask the instructor to show us some very basic transitions/positions to set up those submissions he has taught us over the last couple of weeks.

At my level of jiu jitsu, I want to learn to use basic sweeps and get better at passing guard. Submissions will come. :icon_lol:

Back