Injury Time (wrestling)

theocean

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
I dont know if something has changed since i havent seen many matches over the past 2 years, but last night on comcast i was watching the PA state championship matches and it seemed like half of the wrestlers would just call their own injury time, walk to their corner take a breather and a drink and just walk back to the center... When i wrestled and coached i felt like injury time wasnt a break between rounds...am i missing something?

If it was a big match for me that was close, and I was a little tired, I would call injury time out for my foot. I would get two minutes, and it is hard to dispute.

well in college now you get one free injury time and then on the second one the opponent gets choice of position, but I'm unsure of what happens on a third injury time.

But i think we just notice more injuries being called these days since we aren't actually wrestling or coaching anymore.

The injury timeouts are not nearly as bad as the tapouts when a kid is on his back...happened 3x that I saw in the CA state meet with one match that ended up decided the state team title.

The injury timeouts are not nearly as bad as the tapouts when a kid is on his back...happened 3x that I saw in the CA state meet with one match that ended up decided the state team title.

Since when can you tap out in wrestling?

I've honestly never seen it before this year, but kids can tapout to get out of an uncalled potentially dangerous and they restart to referee's position.

i've never seen "tapping out" in the rule books. However, people have always been able to cry out when on their back or kick and and slam the mat when on their back and the ref will stop the match but now you get +1 point added to the backpoints if they cry out...In high school on more then one occasion using the guillotine I got 4 backpoints.

in high school the second injury time out results in the other guy getting choice of position third one is a default... the call out(not tap out) rule has been that way for a long time call out = 4point near fall. . . injury time being used for a rest or water break is becoming a growing problem (even being referred to as a jersey tornado) but until someone thinks up a better solution thats how its going to stay. no one is going to risk a kid getting hurt so the outcome of matches are more fair

Back