India Cancels $12B Combat Jet Program

Surely they will make the decision with the next program, surely!

They bought 36 jets instead of 126 from France, sort of a consolation prize for the French for cancelling the contract. This is how procurement in India goes. The government makes a deal and politicians/military officers get kickbacks from the manufacturer. The opposition then find every little problem they can to delay the deal, until the next election cycle. If the opposition wins the election, then they scrap whatever deal that was made before and begin again, so it would be their turn for kickbacks. The cycle keeps repeating, and Indian military end up not getting anything new for years.

They bought 36 jets instead of 126 from France, sort of a consolation prize for the French for cancelling the contract. This is how procurement in India goes. The government makes a deal and politicians/military officers get kickbacks from the manufacturer. The opposition then find every little problem they can to delay the deal, until the next election cycle. If the opposition wins the election, then they scrap whatever deal that was made before and begin again, so it would be their turn for kickbacks. The cycle keeps repeating, and Indian military end up not getting anything new for years.

So they are still getting 36? what about the other aircraft? i wounder if they're go with the Gripen..

lol 12 billion. Could you even buy a single F-35 for that?

Better planes for cheaper. France really helped them (and Russia) out with that one

Americas fault really. France loses out once again because they're Americas bicth.

They made France cancel the huge aircraft carrier sale to Russia costing them well over a billion.
So India decided they weren't reliable enough and said they would not buy their jets off France.

Americas fault really. France loses out once again because they're Americas bicth.

They made France cancel the huge aircraft carrier sale to Russia costing them well over a billion.
So India decided they weren't reliable enough and said they would not buy their jets off France.

what the hell does the US have to do with the Dassault Rafale. They aren't gonna buy F-35s. We pitched that already, they said no. we also pitched the F-16block 70 and the F/a-18 IN. They said no..

what the hell does the US have to do with the Dassault Rafale. They aren't gonna buy F-35s. We pitched that already, they said no. we also pitched the F-16block 70 and the F/a-18 IN. They said no..

France wanted to sell a $1.3b aircraft carrier to Russia. America told them no and to fall in line, hitting Russia with sanctions blaming them for MH17. India decides because of this that France weren't a stable source for supplying their military and started negotiations with Russia.

http://russia-insider.com/en/washin...s-french-arms-industry-sukhoi-flies-high/5690

France wanted to sell a $1.3b aircraft carrier to Russia. America told them no and to fall in line, hitting Russia with sanctions blaming them for MH17. India decides because of this that France weren't a stable source for supplying their military and started negotiations with Russia.

http://russia-insider.com/en/washin...s-french-arms-industry-sukhoi-flies-high/5690

eh i don't know about that, the way i see it, i dont think that would flatten the deal. Is this a Russian news source?

i bet they'll go with the gripen.

Yeah it's Russian but they seem to be more on the ball (and more directly involved) as it was from mid April, almost 4 months ago, announcing the same cancellation of the French/Indian deal.
This American source is "breaking news" from 2 days ago

Yeah it's Russian but they seem to be more on the ball (and more directly involved) as it was from mid April, almost 4 months ago, announcing the same cancellation of the French/Indian deal.

Lol, I thought this story sounded familiar.
The French seem to be dealing with a lot of fallout from those idiot sanctions.

Those farmer protests/riots of theirs have been pretty crazy.

There's plenty of news from back in March-April about the deal going south and the OP's source also reported them reducing the number to 36 back in April.

Focusing on the cancellation of the Mistral deal was part of Russia's bid to sell the Sukhoi 30s, that doesn't mean it was the primary reason the Rafael deal collapsed. ...all part of the propaganda.

I welcome our new putinist for what I expect to be a rather brief stay.

A new Kremlin troll appeared!

Back