Independent fighters vs camp fighters...

Ogata

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Colby talked about how it was the best decision to leave ATT because now he has his own trainers and training partners and that he has autonomy over how he develops his style and technique. That and he has no obligation to be someone else's training partner.

On the other hand some fighters prefer having a training camp because they like the team setting and having different training partners.

Which is better and more beneficial for a fighter?

Camp fighters in my opinion. Being someone elses training is very benificial for being in fighting shape all year round.

Way more camp fighters have won belts, if that means anything. Colby says a lot of shit. Wouldn't be surprised if he got forced out of there for being an ass and now he's trying to rewrite history

Youre correct. At the same time, many great fighters wind up leaving their camps and developing their own teams, such as Colby apparently has done.

Off the top of my head, GSP (Firas may have a large facility now, but it was built on the success of GSP after he stopped training at Jacksons), Hendo after leaving Quest, Rashad (wound up ultimately helping to found the blackzillians, but that was some time after leaving Jacksons). Matt Brown seemingly trained out of a storage unit for years, and was still a fairly top tier competitor.

Camp is far better. The structural, support and variety of training partners is a must at high levels. Every now and then you'll get good guys who do well despite that but it's rare.

Fighters can't/shouldn't be trusted to structure their own camp

I honestly seeing smaller camps with a bit of connections to bigger ones being the future.

Youre correct. At the same time, many great fighters wind up leaving their camps and developing their own teams, such as Colby apparently has done.

Off the top of my head, GSP (Firas may have a large facility now, but it was built on the success of GSP after he stopped training at Jacksons), Hendo after leaving Quest, Rashad (wound up ultimately helping to found the blackzillians, but that was some time after leaving Jacksons). Matt Brown seemingly trained out of a storage unit for years, and was still a fairly top tier competitor.
The Rashad case is sad. His gym favored Jones over him so he had no choice but to leave. Declined as a fighter right after that.

The Rashad case is sad. His gym favored Jones over him so he had no choice but to leave. Declined as a fighter right after that.

I was going to respond that he still had some great performances after that, but I was completely wrong, having just glanced at his record. The one highlight was his brutal destruction of Sonnen, but the fight immediately after his bout with Jones was that awful performance versus little Nog, so apparently you're right - his trajectory shifted pretty much immediately. I know he suffered a string of injuries after that title fight, so obviously that accounts for a great deal of his decline.

And yes, pretty much everything about how Greg Jackson has chosen to run his gym into the ground with only an obsessive focus on Jones is insane (at least from what I read - I don't live in New Mexico so no idea what transpires behind the scenes)

Depends on the type of person a fighter is.

People that need outside motivation, are not overly organized and tend to put off things until the last moment, and have other "character flaws" should get a team.
Fighters that have a strong intrinsic motivation, are disciplined, and can handle lots of work aside from training should go their own way.

+
Is the fighter an intro- or extrovert?
Fighting because it's the best way to make money or because they see it as a fiting "lifestyle" for them?
Good at organizing stuff or not....

It's like deciding if you should be a freelancer/businessman or employee?
What's better?
Depends on what is important to you and what personality traits you have.

Big gyms with good history. Your Head coaches and training partners matter. Most independent guys roll, spar and wressle with yes man bums.

Colby talked about how it was the best decision to leave ATT because now he has his own trainers and training partners and that he has autonomy over how he develops his style and technique. That and he has no obligation to be someone else's training partner.

On the other hand some fighters prefer having a training camp because they like the team setting and having different training partners.

every fighter has training camp. the only thing that might change is where they do it.

Independent fighters typically don't have to pay coaches/camps a percentage of their purse, so it's beneficial from a financial standpoint.

Back