• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Social Increasing political polarization is ruining everything

Appears to me that large swathes of mostly white America were so incensed that a black man won that they elected a known conman who spewed hatred at all the "right" people, justifying their emotional outrage.

I mean Obama did some pretty divisive things like... expanding healthcare... and overseeing more or less 8 years of economic growth after a huge recession. Practically the devil.

thats a weird spin considering obama care was an overall mess and economy was pretty stagnant during 8 years of obama while sending was at all time high...

also you can tell you went far left when "lets focus on our country 1st" is considered some sort of racist slogan.

how about all the critical theories after 8 years of obama?

you would think ppl will come together and get united, but instead you see all the youths get more radicalized and want to completely erase the entire history of the country along with its norms and values.

The court and all the evidence said the cop was justified in shooting Michael Brown.

but youre too focused on being factually accurate instead of morally right though...

evidence is white supremacy. how ppl feel is what matters.

but youre too focused on being factually accurate instead of morally right though...

evidence is white supremacy. how ppl feel is what matters.
The highest court in the land is public opinion

You're describing two separate phenomena: polarization and the substitution of group fantasies. Politics can be passionately polarized without any pole requiring substituting an alternative to reality. It just requires that both poles have a political charter that is logically defensible and itself based in reality. In the case of the United States, there are two designated poles by design, but one ran out of policies based in reality by which to justify itself. Simply put, tax cuts for billionaires and no gay marriage just wasn't persuasive enough to win elections, and policy-based rejections of other-party policies (see: the ACA) simply haven't existed. This was pretty well known in 2008. Yet there were fundamental incentives toward retaining and gaining political power, and there were generational desires for party faithful to remain faithful. So the consequence was creating a political charter based in fiction.

Wait...Obama? You think fucking Obama was left wing and extremely ideological? The guy whose most notable achievements were a market-based private healthcare insurance expansion and bringing immigration to net zero for the first 8 year period in decades?

Akso, dude...your last post was this:
Nope, not polarized at all...

The duopoly tends to eat itself in times of apparent stagnation. It’s an inherent flaw of capitalism.

The highest court in the land is public opinion

theres a reason why their opinion isnt the law.

and as long as it stays that way you have some sort of civil society with law and order.

I’d be tempted to say that maybe 4 years ago. But at this point it really is the Conservative party and their propaganda ruining the politics of the country.

Bothsidesism is a fallacy. The blame does not necessarily need to, and likely won’t, go straight down the middle.

It’s hard enough to have a conversation about balancing saving lives vs destroying the economy with lockdowns, and the level the government should be able to exercise restrictions over the population, without people coming in with “masks don’t work, bill gates vaccine microchips, death count fake, trying to make trump lose, libtards, the media is fake” bullshit

This isn’t to say the cliched pitfalls of leftist thinking and “radical ideas” aren’t idiotic as well, but I don’t think they are as represented in the lefts elected officials, like the rights.

I’d be tempted to say that maybe 4 years ago. But at this point it really is the Conservative party and their propaganda ruining the politics of the country.

Bothsidesism is a fallacy. The blame does not necessarily need to, and likely won’t, go straight down the middle.

It’s hard enough to have a conversation about balancing saving lives vs destroying the economy with lockdowns, and the level the government should be able to exercise restrictions over the population, without people coming in with “masks don’t work, bill gates vaccine microchips, death count fake, trying to make trump lose, libtards, the media is fake” bullshit

This isn’t to say the cliched pitfalls of leftist thinking and “radical ideas” aren’t idiotic as well, but I don’t think they are as represented in the lefts elected officials, like the rights.

The people don't trust the government and its dictates, it seems.

According to this article, politics is seeping into every facet of American life turning once benign, joyous activities like sports and entertainment into fields of battle for which each person must choose sides against their fellow American citizens. What will be the long-term outcomes if this trend continues?

Interestingly, this article also shares insight into the now-commonplace idea that different political groups occupy different realities with each side claiming their reality is the true one. Sounds reminiscent of certain religious attitudes, imo, i.e. "My God is the one true God while yours is a false idol."

https://reason.com/2021/02/17/polit...r-daily-life-and-ruining-everything/#comments

Of course, in the group's reality, their members are the "good guys" fighting the "bad guys" in the other group and vice-versa. These are some current examples of this phenomenon in action.

Obama: GOP Candidates Occupy 'Different Reality'

US News: Republicans and Democrats live in different universes

https://www.usnews.com/news/the-rep...democrats-are-operating-in-parallel-universes

So selfless of you to use yourself as the perfect example of the thing you're complaining about.

Uhhh...yes. His own wife admits he lays awake at night pondering things like income inequality. He's an ideological fanatic like many University Liberals, yourself included most likely. It's like a religion to them.

And?
So because he worries about poor people that makes him a left wing nut?? Wtf.. he was a pragmatic moderate dem.

I've stated my opinion on this many times. I truly blame conservative news radio. Not Fox, CNN, MSNBC, etc. The most egregious constant pushing of extreme misinterpretations that I've encountered came from news radio. And unlike the tv media, the guys on the radio are holding down 2-3 hour spots where they push these inanities all day without a single break. They rarely have intelligent guests on to interview, they're highly selective of who calls in and thus gets on the air, there's no "man on the street" elements here. And just as importantly, there aren't counter positions. On cable news, you can easily switch from Fox to MSNBC or vice versa to hear alternative perspective. News radio seems to be overwhelmingly right wing with very little balance, even on the same "news" station. So, the driver sits there for the commute getting inundated with one guy's whackadoo positions. It's closer to brainwashing than any of the other examples that people like to throw around.

Sounds a lot like CNN, MSNBC, ABC etc, except they push their "inanities" and "whackadoo positions" 24/7/365 for 3 years straight.

I know people on the left LOVE having a selective memory, but I'm pretty sure all we heard about for almost half a decade was that Trump was in collusion with Russia. Before he won, we also got to hear for months on end, commercials about how Trump was going to start nuclear war with Russia, the same Russians who supposedly had Trump in their pocket, or even more hilariously, North Korea.

And as for being highly selective of who gets on air, you better parrot what the masters in charge want you to say or...

Sounds a lot like CNN, MSNBC, ABC etc, except they push their "inanities" and "whackadoo positions" 24/7/365 for 3 years straight.

And as for being highly selective of who gets on air, you better parrot what the masters in charge want you to say or...

Why would you respond to me with CNN, MSNBC, ABC and a CNN, MSNBC video when my post covered all of those plus Fox? Are you saying that Fox News does not engage in the same things that CNN, MSNBC, ABC, etc. engage in? Or did you forget to address them in your response?

Why would you respond to me with CNN, MSNBC, ABC and a CNN, MSNBC video when my post covered all of those plus Fox? Are you saying that Fox News does not engage in the same things that CNN, MSNBC, ABC, etc. engage in? Or did you forget to address them in your response?

Did Fox scream for the heavens about Russian collusion 24/7/365 and pearl clutch about nuclear war with russia and North Korea?

I'm pretty sure they didn't.

But of all people, especially you, I don't expect you admit to that.

Did Fox scream for the heavens about Russian collusion 24/7/365 and pearl clutch about nuclear war with russia and North Korea?

I'm pretty sure they didn't.

But of all people, especially you, I don't expect you admit to that.
Maybe they didn't, instead they screamed to the heavens about other things. But of all people, I don't expect you to admit that. ;)

Anyway, I'm trying to avoid intentionally disingenuous posters and posts so I'm checking out of this exchange.

Maybe they didn't, instead they screamed to the heavens about other things. But of all people, I don't expect you to admit that. ;)

Anyway, I'm trying to avoid intentionally disingenuous posters and posts so I'm checking out of this exchange.

"Intentionally disingenuous posters"

Rofl.

Ever hear of the word "irony" ?

You're one of the most partisan hacks on this entire message board.

Back