Increase Cardio Via Tabata Intervals

kenban judan

orange belt, i think
Reaction score
my wife has taken up jogging, so i am like, what the hell, i'll join her, but it's kind of boring and pointless so i have started doing this tabata intervals thing, sprinting for 20 seconds and resting for 10, for about 5 to 10 cycles. i am throwing my arms into the sprints, so i look extra gay and crazy.

i searched, and found some stuff on other boards, but what i want to hear from anyone here is: has this stuff helped your grappling endurance, even a little bit? seriously, 'cause this shit is kicking my ass and is not good times.

doing this has helped me more than jogging, which i also find to be boring sometimes. it depends more on my mood/laziness factor for the day.

but i think they're both a different kind of workout or something. i just know doing intervals cuts down the overall workout time.

I used to do tabata's on my exercise cycle (upper and lower body pedaling). I did them about twice a week and noticed a huge difference within a short amount of time. it's also not a "muscle burning" cardio, as in it's not catabolic (sp?). good luck, don't quit.

What a coincidence, someone mentioned this at bjj class today. I was complaining about how I have been running a ton but it hasn't done anything for my grappling cardio. It makes sense and I am goign to try it for sure.

Only good things to say about it, i feel i have been born with poor cardio but when i do tabata intervals with "push up burpee's" my cardio is never a problem anymore. The HIIT also helps me with grappling alot.

I'll second what everyone else has said. Jogging didn't help me at all. Started intervals, and I noticed my gas tank got bigger when rolling.

Back