In short notice fights Islam has finished Volk, Bobby and Hooker in under 9 minutes combined

Seems like the lesson should be don't take a short notice fight if your opponent had a full camp.

but but but Volk was ballsy and a real G to take it on short notice. Oh wait, Sherdog narratives change in accordance with outcomes of fights.

For every lucky winner there's 99 guys without camps get the shit beat out of them and an L.
Who? Bisping was a +600 underdog, Nate was like +375, Usman stepped in on the same card with the same notice and had a close fight with a heavy favorite, Masvidal fought Usman without a camp and went to decision and took very little damage, then got his jaw punched into the 3rd row with full camp, GSP took his rubber match with Hughes on short notice and won easily.

There are plenty of examples of guys doing as well or better as a late replacement, many who have both full camp and short notice fights with the same person to compare, but Volk Islam is the only one I can think of where they have both and the underdog did worse in the short notice one.

Islam had full-camps for each of those lol. Not the same "short-notice" as his opponents
One way or another that's a bs argument.

A lot of fighters have come out and said it's necessary to do this as a full time job. If it's a full time job then why wouldn't they be in shape to fight?
Less time to address the characteristics of the opponent is an issue. An issue that both fighters have have to deal with in case of a late replacement.

Even if you'd dispute that by saying there's something like peak cardio that takes about 6 weeks to build up to, that's still irrelevant because the fight time of the given examples is so short that cardio very clearly wasn't tipping the scales in those fights.

Seems like the lesson should be don't take a short notice fight if your opponent had a full camp.

some guys cant afford to play it safe....

if ur confident in ur abilities whynot?

Who? Bisping was a +600 underdog, Nate was like +375, Usman stepped in on the same card with the same notice and had a close fight with a heavy favorite, Masvidal fought Usman without a camp and went to decision and took very little damage, then got his jaw punched into the 3rd row with full camp, GSP took his rubber match with Hughes on short notice and won easily.

There are plenty of examples of guys doing as well or better as a late replacement, many who have both full camp and short notice fights with the same person to compare, but Volk Islam is the only one I can think of where they have both and the underdog did worse in the short notice one.
Mas lost 50-45 that's getting beat up anyway you look at it. TS listed three more beatings. Usman got 10-8 and took the L. Alves took a short notice fight vs Ailiskerov and was obliterated. Oct 14 card had petroski step in on 8 days ko r1 by Pereira, marotte on 6days ko r1 makinney. Sept 16 fremd ko r2 by kopylov. Sept 9 dos Santos dominated for 3 rounds by Nape. Aug 19 magny dominated by Garry, blackshear dominated by Bautista. Aug 12 Johnson subbed r1 by blackshear. Aug 5 font dominated for five rounds by sandhagen. Jul 29 flowers subbed r2 by Matthews. Jul8 Woodburn subbed r1 by nickal. Jul1 Wilson ko r1 by brito. Jun3 butler ko r1 by Miller. Mar25 lingo subbed r2 by Landwehr. Feb25 deaton was subbed r2 by solicki. Feb18 Andrade subbed r2 by blachfield. Jan21 Costa r2 subbed by Moises. Dec17 bundage ko r1 oleksiejczuk. Dec10koslow ko r1 by saaimwn.
That was just in the last year and there alot more than this I just didn't post any decisions that I didn't know were one sided for sure.

"Short notice" GSP had a MONTH to prepare that's closer to a full camp than the fight.

Last edited:
Mas lost 50-45 that's getting beat up anyway you look at it. TS listed three more beatings. Usman got 10-8 and took the L. Alves took a short notice fight vs Ailiskerov and was obliterated. Oct 14 card had petroski step in on 8 days ko r1 by Pereira, marotte on 6days ko r1 makinney. Sept 16 fremd ko r2 by kopylov. Sept 9 dos Santos dominated for 3 rounds by Nape. Aug 19 magny dominated by Garry, blackshear dominated by Bautista. Aug 12 Johnson subbed r1 by blackshear. Aug 5 font dominated for five rounds by sandhagen. Jul 29 flowers subbed r2 by Matthews. Jul8 Woodburn subbed r1 by nickal. Jul1 Wilson ko r1 by brito. Jun3 butler ko r1 by Miller. Mar25 lingo subbed r2 by Landwehr. Feb25 deaton was subbed r2 by solicki. Feb18 Andrade subbed r2 by blachfield. Jan21 Costa r2 subbed by Moises. Dec17 bundage ko r1 oleksiejczuk. Dec10koslow ko r1 by saaimwn.
That was just in the last year and there alot more than this I just didn't post any decisions that I didn't know were one sided for sure.

"Short notice" GSP had a MONTH to prepare that's closer to a full camp than the fight.
[<diva2]

Those are just fights where a better fighter beat a lesser fighter. Lol, you losing a tennis match to Novak Djokovic isn't because you didn't have time to prepare.

Fighters better learn not to take a short notice fight against Islam, that's for sure. :eek:

The whole premise of this thread is hilarious.

"Short notice Islam"

Lol.

Yeah, you have to be really dumb to pick a short-notice opponent against Islam.

View attachment 1009726

View attachment 1009728

{<jordan}

Yeah I think too many people were living in the fantasy of how great it would be for Volkanovski to win rather than actually properly analyzing the X's and O's of the matchup.

Volkanovski with not even 2 weeks to prepare & coming off the couch vs Islam who was always going to be better in the cage compared to the first fight (better rehydration rules for fighters in Abu Dhabi compared to Australia) it's just common sense folks.

This whole premise of this thread is hilarious.

"Short notice Islam"

Lol.

Mythical "Short notice Islam" stepping in and beating Colby Covington for the belt in 2024? :eek::D

Volk - head kick KO 3:06
Bobby - GNP TKP 3:23
Hooker - Kimura 2:25

Bobby and Hooker are ranked LWs right now about to fight in a 5 rounder. Volk is top 3 P4P and best FW.

Short notice Islam is a PROBLEM

Fighters who take short notice fights like this and perform like this should be lauded. Many others either don't take fight or perform much worse without a training camp and gameplan. This is fuck the gameplan let me fight you on the fly and figure it out. TRUE WARRIOR.
That's delusional. His opponents had the short notice. He had the advantage in all three.

Yet but with Islam it's special.
Islam's gameplan is the same every times.
Smash

He does not need to adapt to his opponent that much.
It's smash city with a bit of adaptation almost evertimes so he's effective even with short notice changes.

Shows he’s a guy you should not fight unprepared. He’s very good, you don’t just run through those guys that easily even on short notice without being good.

Islam’s opponents should stop getting cold feet and backing out

<Rodgers1>

In his last 7 fights he has finished everyone except Volk the first time and mad it look ridiculously easy the second time. So he is a problem for anyone, short notice or not.

Islam had full-camps for each of those lol. Not the same "short-notice" as his opponents
Hard to believe you actually had to point that out.

And there was the one fight I believe where Islam said he would step up on short notice. I think the opponent was supposed to be RDA. Then the next morning Islam changed his mind, and backed out.

Back