In light of the BJJ/Wrestling talk..

sethk

Sho ho ho nuff
@Blue
Reaction score
I was just curious...how much wrestling, if any, is included/taught/shown in the curriculum at your BJJ academies? I am talking about BJJ schools, not MMA schools here.

So, you don't want any answers from anyone who trains at a BJJ academy that also has MMA and wrestling?

When we train BJJ, we train BJJ. When we train wrestling, we train wrestling. When we train mixed martial arts, we mix martial arts.

One of the schools i go to is now offering wrestling class. As far as takedowns in BJJ goes, they do teach some simple single and doubles and alot of Judo throws.

The real answer is no BJJ schools teach enough "wrestling" takedowns.

I have seen a video of Draculino teaching takedowns for MMA and as a former wrestler, i can tell you his technical understanding and attention to detail was outstanding.

About 10 minutes out of every hour in class is focused on wrestling or judo techniques/drills. Live takedowns, usually for like 20 minutes once a week.

We drill takedowns almost daily. Both Judo throws, and wrestling shots/trips.

And we have one full class a week that we have nothing but wrestling. Live takedowns, new techniques, and drills.

And imo, thats still not enough. Thats why i train my wrestling seperately with a friend who moved to CA.

He happens to be a former Iowa State wrestler. :D

We drill takedowns almost daily. Both Judo throws, and wrestling shots/trips.

And we have one full class a week that we have nothing but wrestling. Live takedowns, new techniques, and drills.

And imo, thats still not enough. Thats why i train my wrestling seperately with a friend who moved to CA.

He happens to be a former Iowa State wrestler. :D

Doh!

We work "wrestling" takedowns regularly. To us it is part of the evolution of the game. Just like you want to have a full toolbox once you hit the ground you want a full toolbox (Judo AND Wrestling) to take it to the ground.

Just as a side observation, it seems like people new to training can become fairly effective with some of the staple wrestling takedowns (single/double/ankle pick) a good deal earlier in their training than their Judo but once they have been at it for a few years it seems to even up and become six of one or a half-dozen of the other.

Peace,
Zen Mojo

So, you don't want any answers from anyone who trains at a BJJ academy that also has MMA and wrestling?

I was more interested in pure BJJ schools...but in the case of a school that has MMA wrestling and BJJ, I assumed that there is less of a focus on cross training in any given class (besides MMA) since there are other classes for each discipline. Whereas in BJJ schools, wrestling and judo techniques are more likely to be included for sport purposes.

from what I understand, people just train BJJ all the time and then 2 weeks before a competition, the instructor would show a couple of takedowns (judo or wrestling) as the technique of the day. and some guys might be rolling standing instead of on the knees.

that is just about it really.

2 wrestling classes a week. used to have judo but no longer as attendance sucked (don't know why)

I was more interested in pure BJJ schools...but in the case of a school that has MMA wrestling and BJJ, I assumed that there is less of a focus on cross training in any given class (besides MMA) since there are other classes for each discipline. Whereas in BJJ schools, wrestling and judo techniques are more likely to be included for sport purposes.

Not really. usually the guys that train at mma gyms tend to be better wrestlers than pure bjj guys. of course it's mostly No-gi the mma gyms train. you're better off just finding a place that has wrestling/judo class separate from bjj. pure bjj guys are terrible guys to train take downs with anyway, it's like going to a muay thai gym to work on your boxing.

I would have thought "pure" bjj schools were more of a rarety. I can't think of a single bjj gym in my area that doesn't offer mma. Vale tudo / mma has ALLWAYS been at the heart of bjj I mean that's what carlos gracie snr learned jiujitsu for in the first place so he could woop ass in valetudo.

its almost non-existant at my school, but we do have a judo class...:icon_neut sometimes we do variations of the single leg, but people dont know about ear driving and using their hips to lift.

My school has been doing alot more lately, but its still just maybe 15 minutes out of a 2 hour class.

I may catch some flack for this one but I think that the Begginer no gi class should look alot like a wrestling practice.

1st keeping it no gi pretty much allows students who just want to do GJJ or BJJ an option because stand up can be taxing and even dangerous sometimes.

2nd it gives the students some good basic takedowns and takedown defense before moving on to intermediate no gi

3rd it can teach the pins of wrestling, which are indeed different in some ways to the hold downs in BJJ.

So in theory the class would be heavy on takedown training and defense. Learning to control a guy on the ground (position before submission right?), some of the pins and positions of wrestling and of course an intro to no gi guard work as well as passing the guard in order to get to a pinning position.

Intermediate would tone down on the takedown and takedown defense but have enough takedown training to keep students who have a go to move sharp as well as continue to build those skills.

It would move to BJJ style pins which are more about control AND mobility as opposed to just heavy top pressure and control. Much more in the way of guard work and passing as well as sweeps from the guard and an introduction to fighting from turtle with some wrestling style reversals,switches and stand ups from that position.

Again having it as a no gi curriculum introduces would be sub grapplers and MMA fighters to a balanced grappling approach and giving them a good base to work from on the feet all the way to the ground in order to establish control and pace of any match.
Then as progress is made they dive even deeper into fighting from the back and finishing the fight from any position.

By the time an advanced level is reached I would think they would have tremendous submission and a reliable takedown and take down defense game in addition to some brutal ground control.

i would say the opposite. nogi you should work right away on ground fighting as it is different from gi. in bjj/nogi you are a ground fighter your main work should be from the ground.

To me takedowns should fall into the same place as in gi as they both server the same purpose of getting the fight to the ground.

i would say the opposite. nogi you should work right away on ground fighting as it is different from gi. in bjj/nogi you are a ground fighter your main work should be from the ground.

To me takedowns should fall into the same place as in gi as they both server the same purpose of getting the fight to the ground.

HUH?

i am confused.

I am working on these assumptions.

Recreational/Self defense students will likely be doing majority gi work and a handful would cross over to no gi.

Guys wanting MMA or competition grappling experience will likely take more of the no gi classes than "self defense" or recreational guy.

Are you saying the opposite is true?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back