Improving Takedowns...

la vengeance

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys, wrestling has always been my weakest aspect in my arsenal of skills. So, I was just wondering what are some recommended weight training exercises or various things that could help the explosiveness, power, and drive of my takedowns?

I've tried things such as tire flips, that's the only thing I could really think of that would attribute to takedown power.

Thanks guys.

Dude you dont need all that, you said you need help with takedowns it's all in the technique.

Shadow wrestling. Just stand in a wrestling stance and shoot doubles then sprawl out while never breaking your stance. I like to throw this in inbetween circuit training or burpees or after a run or warming up for jiu jitsu.

Dude you dont need all that, you said you need help with takedowns it's all in the technique.

When drilling takedowns my technique is good, but when applying it during live grapplinh I cannot seem to go through with it. It seems as if I'm not explosive enough or something. I think I need to up my driving power.

Power will help, but you probably just need better technique. Takedowns are hard as fuck to learn if you have zero experience and you say your wrestling has always been your weakest point. Working technique during class and then shadow wrestling on your own will help.

Takedowns are almost completely about technique. Trying to get better at them by weight training is much like trying to get better at submissions by weight training ... you'll be able to overpower some beginners, but when you go against more experienced guys it'll fall apart.

Look at your form, then look at your timing. Repeat and rinse. At a certain point (possibly after a lot of effort) it'll just click, and they'll feel natural, like riding a bike ... you won't be able to remember why you couldn't do them before.

Take downs are a pain in the ass to learn at least for me. Do some leg exercises to strengthen them in case you're not too strong in the legs and then keep drilling over and over again until it's natural. Speed and everything will pick up.

Technique is most important I think. Maybe squats and deadlifts?

Get the leg strong doing lunges, split squats and cleans. Then do duck walks: Put one knee on the ground and step forward with the other leg, put that knee on the ground as you lift the other one and step forward. Try not the rise up when you do it, it should flow just like you are shooting for a double leg or a high crotch. I tend to do them as warm up, they build leg power, flexiblity and eventually speed. I wish I had a video to show you what I mean. It is a pretty standard drill but it may go by another name. If you need a better explanation let me know.

get one of those bungee cords and wrap it around your waist. you can have someone hold the other end or tie to a pole. then work your singles, high crotch and doubles. You can also have someone in front of you with one leg out. You want to drive to the limit of the resistance band as you attack the leg. It will help you develop the drive you need which is half the battle when it comes to takedowns, of course, you better have proper technique as well.

I don't care what anyone says about it being all technique, because while I absolutely agree that technique is what gets the job done, I feel that if you aren't strong enough to blow through your opponent you won't get the takedown.

When I wrestled I was weak as a kitten and could never blow through anyone, and only after 6 months of lifting was I able to apply explosive power.

That said...

Squats
Deadlifts
Powercleans
Sprints
Weighted Sprints
Hill Sprints
Car pushing
Sled pushing
Tire flips
Heavy rows
Pullups
Live/Situational standup
Grappling with resistance

Good luck.

For me, functional strength was always more important than weight-room strength. I probably can't bench much at all, but from what my partners tell me, I'm pretty strong. Any body weight exercise will get the job done in my opinion.

Lots of pushups, crunches, pull ups (towel ones too), chin ups, dips, mountain climbers, crab walking, duck walking, bridges, back scooting, stance walking (for extended periods), six inches (lay on your back and hold your feet up six inches off the ground -great lower ab workout) and good ol stair/hill sprinting (focus on balancing while doing this). Just try and get creative using your body as it's own weight.

Also, work on your balance. All the power in the world won't get your the takedown without good balance. When you're shadow wrestling and drilling otherwise, be very mindful of your balance. For example, if you blast through for a double, but teeter off to a side too early due to poor balance, you've just wasted a whole bunch of energy and will need to fight your way into a better position.

When you can move yourself easily and get good enough technique, take downs should come to you rather easily.

pistols, lunges, other unilateral leg work in addition to much technique drilling.

When drilling takedowns my technique is good, but when applying it during live grapplinh I cannot seem to go through with it. It seems as if I'm not explosive enough or something. I think I need to up my driving power.

You need more practice and repetition against resisting opponents. It can take a long time to get it down right, trust me. Maybe you're not shooting deep enough. You can never shoot too deep.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back