Improving shot speed?

wrestling34

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys, I was wondering how to increase your shot speed? I see those plyometric things some wrestlers tie to their waist and shoot but what is that called?

Go to the G & E forum and there is a post (might be a few pages back by now) that had multiple links to shot harnesses.

Thanks! Do you know what to tie the shot harness to? I can't think of anything.

Hey guys, I was wondering how to increase your shot speed? I see those plyometric things some wrestlers tie to their waist and shoot but what is that called?

You'd probably be better served if you concentrated on positioning, learning how to dominate the tie-ups and having a few set-ups that you are proficient at executing for each takedown. That will help you way more than increasing shot speed, not that it's not a good idea.

Although I agree working on the speed of your shot will be beneficial, I feel that working on the timing and set ups of your shots is more important. You'd be suprised how improving these aspects of your shots will make you appear to be so much faster than you really are. John Smith is a perfect example of this. Although his low single was ungodly fast, its success really lied in his ability to set it up.

Easiest way to get a better/faster shot is to just work your wrestling. The resistance units will only benefit you if your stance and shot are already correct in terms of execution. It will only help build muscular endurance, but it won't improve your actual shot.

As Azguero said, the great wrestlers had the proper set ups to go along with proper execution and ridiculous speed.

Sakuraba is another example (in his prime) of having the right set up and a very fast low single.

So just work hard on wrestling with someone who is a good wrestler and that will make your entire takedown game way better.

If you don't have the harness another thing you can do it gt a small medicine ball that bounces pretty good and bounce it off the ground and shoot underneath of it.

If you don't have the harness another thing you can do it gt a small medicine ball that bounces pretty good and bounce it off the ground and shoot underneath of it.

This is what I have been doing for a few months now and it has helped.

I also do the Bill Starr 5 X 5 Strength Training Program which is what I have seen the most benefit from.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob Gnuheart
Back