Im starting BJJ, please help.

Cnyle33

Blue Belt
Reaction score
So i start classes on the 20th and im really stoked, on problem is that i havent stretched in a little over 2 months. Im starting to stretch when i wake up and when i go to sleep, but i dont feel any looser. Anyone got any suggestions?

I also heard that core strength is a must and so is flexability. I do 50 sit ups everynight along with 50 lower ab workouts, it feels tighter but i dont feel any results. PLEASE HELP!

well what alot of people have told me is to do cardo out of your ass.

do alot of sprints and intense cardio

well what i do in class for warmups is like run first around the mats loosen up and stuff. Then its jumping jacks, then squat thrusts, pushups, v-ups, and mountain climbers. We do them 5 times for each one then go to 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, then back down 9,8,7,6,5 for each one. We do this like like every other class. Other classes we practice like cartwheels, rolls, shrimping out ( i think thats what its called only been doing bjj for 1 1/2 months) round houses, back rolls, some kind of back roll where u push up so u land up standing on ur feet, and some other stuff. Hope this helps u out for getting ready for bjj. And its diff for different schools but this should give u a idea. plus dont worry im sure the people there will help u out with getting fit.

Just go. Your warmups will get you lose. Remember to stretch during and after so you don't stiffen up.

Thanks for the help... I've already attended one class (it was free!), and the warm-ups friging killed me. I was so swore...50 squats, 50 mountain climbers, 50 situps, 50 v-situps, 50 jumping jacks, 20 push ups...etc etc. Im outta shape...need more advice please...thanks to all of you who have already posted.

Yeah, warm up first, don't worry about it, you don't have to be the most flexible dude in the world to do bjj.

I wouldn't worry to much about preparing beforehand. You'll start to pick it up as you go. I just started last month and I hadn't trained in over a year, I was hurting the first couple of weeks, but the cardio and flexibility is getting better every practice.

Also, one thing to consider if you're worried about flexibilty is to start taking a yoga class. I know, yoga doesn't sound to cool, but it will help your flexibility, and the classes are pretty much all women. (Added bonus). If you don't really want to go to a class, pick up a book, or video from the local library.

If you're very worried about cardio, and core strength look in plyometrics, I'd say that that'll be your best bet.

First of all, if you are trying to increase core strength, situps aren't going to do a damn thing for you. They will increase your ability to do situps, but you carryover beyond that is quite limited. Check out this article http://www.t-nation.com/findArticle.do?article=205abs

There was a pretty good discussion on training flexibility in the s&p forum a little while back, with a bunch of links to other good threads on the subject http://www.sherdog.net/forums/showthread.php?t=291491&highlight=evil+gouger

More than anything, the largest limiting factor for most beginners is a lack of wind. Sprinting, burpees and weight complexes help a great deal there.

you'll do plenty of warmups and streches in class., just save them for then, your coach will know all the good ones

morganfreeman said:
First of all, if you are trying to increase core strength, situps aren't going to do a damn thing for you. They will increase your ability to do situps, but you carryover beyond that is quite limited. Check out this article http://www.t-nation.com/findArticle.do?article=205abs

There was a pretty good discussion on training flexibility in the s&p forum a little while back, with a bunch of links to other good threads on the subject http://www.sherdog.net/forums/showthread.php?t=291491&highlight=evil+gouger

More than anything, the largest limiting factor for most beginners is a lack of wind. Sprinting, burpees and weight complexes help a great deal there.
thats a nice article for abs...i'm gonna try that..thanks for the link :icon_twis

You are gonna get extremely sore from your first few classes.

I'd definitely work on stretching & it'd be a great idea to find someone to do a little grappling with ahead of time. A few quick sparring sessions will tire you out & get you sore, then it'll be less of a shock on your body when you start rolling for long periods. I went for 35min in my first BJJ class. I had been traing judo, but not was not used to that much groundwork. I was still sore for a few days.

you'll be fine going in with what you have. the good thing about BJJ is that the more you train the better your conditioning becomes. of course you'll do better with a better level of fitness but honestly, i think rolling is the best way to get fit for bjj so just take it as it comes. all the other stuff like stamina and core strength will happen as a result.

50 is too little, you need to research various work out routines, whether you like them or not,
like learning different styles. you sound young and even if you did probably find a good workout
you would probably injure yourself doing it because of inexperience.

by researching you will gain knowledge and ability to learn AND patience which is what you need.

50 situps pushups is too little.
I did 300 in highschool, my brother did 500
this is every day.

When you start BJJ this tip will help you alot! Dont use strenght use technique. It is easy to say but very hard to do...

Back