I'm right on the edge [BJJ Gi]

Bryk

White Belt
Reaction score
It is an exciting time for me: buying my first gi.

The sizing for Gis are
A1 5'4" - 5'8" 125 - 155 lbs
A2 5'8" - 6'0" 155 - 190 lbs

I am 5'8" 155. I am looking at either getting a Koral light or classic.

So my question to you, the experienced gi consumer, which size should I get and should I get light or classic?

classic all the way.

the light is a good gi, but the classic will hold up much longer for everyday training.

go with the a2 so you can just dry it everytime after training and not worry about hang drying.

But the Koral's don't really shrink at all from my experience so the A1 could be a perfect fit...sorry to maybe confuse you more.

It is an exciting time for me: buying my first gi.

The sizing for Gis are
A1 5'4" - 5'8" 125 - 155 lbs
A2 5'8" - 6'0" 155 - 190 lbs

I am 5'8" 155. I am looking at either getting a Koral light or classic.

So my question to you, the experienced gi consumer, which size should I get and should I get light or classic?

I recommend the classic over the light. It's very durable and I've never read a bad review about it, or the MKM. I have though, for the light.

I asked JiuJitsu ProGear the same question (I'm also 5'8, 155-165 lbs). This is how they replied:

"Hi,

For your height and weight, either size would be good to choose from. It will entirely depend on your build and your preference of fit. If you would prefer a more snug fit or if you have an athletic build, try for the A1 size. If you prefer the more loosely fit size or if you have a more muscular build try for the A2 size.

Note that the Koral kimonos are capable of shrinking up to an inch in difference over time."

Good luck!

Thanks for the input guys.

I decided to go with the classic A1. I measured myself to be a tad under 5'8" and I'm skinny around the waist (130lbs before I started working out) so I went with A1.

I hope it was the right decision.

im 5'7.5 and i weigh around 145lbs and i have a koral a2 light and it fits me pitch perfect guess it depends on the build you have.

Enjoy the gi there great :)

im 5'7.5 and i weigh around 145lbs and i have a koral a2 light and it fits me pitch perfect guess it depends on the build you have.

Enjoy the gi there great :)

hmm.. maybe i should call them and change the order then...

what do you think?

I'd say stick with the A1.

I'm 6'2" and weigh 185. I had a koral mkm and my friends A2 fit me fine except for the pants and sleeves being too short.
The A3 i owned fit me in the pant and sleeve length, but the top was too wide/big so my hands and head would get lost in the gi while rolling.

Also, I washed it on super hot and super hot dry with no shrinkage at all...so I had to sell it.

So, yeah, I still think the A1 will work for you.

Not to change your mind about the kind of gi you're going to get, but I ordered a Fushida Komodo that was perfect for me, and even though I haven't owned a Koral, it was comparable to all the Koral gi's I've seen/tried on, if a bit heavier. What was even better was that you send off your measurements to the owner and he recommends the best fitting gi for your body type. Plus, both models of gi are MUCH cheaper than Koral. I don't know about how long they will last, becuase I've only had it for about 4 months, but if cost and fit are a concern check out Fushida. And I am not getting paid or compensated in any way by Fushida, just a very happy customer trying to inform people about a good product with beyond fantastic customer service.

@Bryk - so any updates on the gi that you ordered? (Size/fit)

From what I heard, Its better to get the A2. Over time they shrink and its better to get the bigger one and shrink it a bit now rather than deal with being at the top of the statistics of A1. When the A1 shrinks its going to be wicked small on you.

I'm 5'7 and 170 and the Koral A1 is just too small for me I say go A2 and shrink to size. Thats always my advice for guys my size.

Back