Im not convinced that Mcgregor is above average much less the best LW ever.

Istryker

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Before people call me a hater I love strikers and stand up oriented fighters. Silva, Wonderboy, Adesanya and MVP are some of my favorite MMA fighters of all time and I have super respect for MCG’s abilities and for being the first champ-champ. But when I look at his skills conducive to the weight classes he fights in I feel like he’s just average.

there aren’t more than 3 people in LW/WW that I strongly favor him over and that’s not a sign of being an all time great. I know that this talking point has been parroted a bunch of times but he has never been through the grinder like most champions and I think that if he has or at the very least has had to defend his belts then we would know more about him but as for right now I’m not even convinced that he’s a top 5 LW or even a top 10 WW.

Lightweights i would strongly favor over Mcgregor: Da Bronx,Islam,Khabib,Tony,Alex Hernandez, DP 2.0, Dan Hooker, Gregor Gill, Kevin Lee, the guy who just beat Pettis.

WW’s that would Be favored: Masvidal,Colby,Usman,Wonderboy,Luque,Robbie,
BrazilianCowboy,Niko,Ponzinibbio,Burns,Chisea,Maia,Neal

Last edited:
maybe educate yourself then.....

maybe educate yourself then.....

Been watching a shit of old UFC fights.

I just don’t think he’s that good imo. I respect his win over aldo and I think he has his number but I feel like Alvarez is a Can and I don’t like how he never defended his belt

You don't wreck Eddie and Cowboy by being average. Not the best eva by any means, but really, really good.

Lol. He cherry picked the only fight in the entire LW and WW top-10 where he was a favorite (cowboy).

He's not Top 10 in any division right now. He'd need to fight to accomplish that. Beating a 40 year old LW at WW isn't gonna cut it. However I'd favor Conor over LWs like Hernandez

You don't wreck Eddie and Cowboy by being average. Not the best eva by any means, but really, really good.

Cowboy has been wrecked many many many times that doesn’t mean much and Eddie just got chinned by a can in ONE

Lol. He cherry picked the only fight in the entire LW and WW top-10 where he was a favorite (cowboy).

He's not Top 10 in any division right now.

EXACTLY thank you

Lightweights i would strongly favor over Mcgregor: Da Bronx,Islam,Khabib,Tony,Alex Hernandez, DP 2.0, Dan Hooker, Gregor Gill, Kevin Lee, the guy who just beat Pettis.

Conor has pretty legit skills, although he is a bit untested at LW and certainly not in the run for GOAT or anything like that.

Khabib/Islam/Tony ——- would favor them to beat him.

Gathje/Dustin/Oliveira——— about even odds. Against Oliveira, Conor would be a slight favorite.

Hooker/Felder/Lee/Gillespie/Hernandez (lol?)——-Conor is a favorite. Lee has the wrestling, but he can’t rack up the wins to get the matchup anyway.

Last edited:
What an important thread.

Hopefully Conor doesn't get wind of this.

I don't think he is the best LW ever but to say he is not above average is ridiculous.

Conor has pretty legit skills, although he is a bit untested at LW and certainly not in the run for GOAT or anything like that.

Khabib/Islam/Tony ——- would favor them to beat him.

Gathje/Dustin/Oliveira——— about even odds

Hooker/Felder/Lee/Gillespie/Hernandez (lol?)——-Conor is a favorite

Conor would not be a favorite against Lee,Hooker or Gillespie in my opinion those would be bait fights

I do think that Conor is overrated.

But now, TS actually underrates him.
I would like to see those LW fights mentioned. Conor would win some, and lose some, I guess. Not so sure that all of the mentioned should be favored against him, not at all. My main knock against Conor is that he hasn't really fought a big enough and steady sample above FW.

Rule number one of sherdog, never ever ever ever try to give an honest opinion of Conor, you're going to be sent packing to the night watchers if you dare say you don't like him as a fighter.

I'm not a McGregor fan by any means, but lets behave please

I do think that Conor is overrated.

But now, TS actually underrates him.
I would like to see those LW fights mentioned. Conor would win some, and lose some, I guess. Not so sure that all of the mentioned should be favored against him, not at all. My main knock against Conor is that he hasn't really fought a big enough and steady sample above FW.

MMA Math is shit and useless as fuck 99% of times but you are able to look at someone’s strengths and weaknesses when you watch enough fights and the way that Conor folded against Nate Diaz who in my opinion is just a high level gatekeeper not just once but twice (he ran away for parts of the fight) then you realize that there’s an issue. I’m not saying Conor is a Can by any means but i feel like he would’ve taken some bad L’s if he went through the grinder at LW or even WW

Conor would not be a favorite against Lee,Hooker or Gillespie in my opinion those would be bait fights

I mean, I can see how Gillespie has the style and wrestling, but he is several times more untested than Conor. What’s his biggest win at 33? Yancy Medeiros? And a Ktfo loss to a non-striker? Come on man.

Lee also has the wrestling, but has gigantic fight IQ problems and has shown time and time again that he struggles at the top. Did you see him lose twice to Iaquinta?

And I’d definitely favor Conor over Hooker. Would like to see all of these, of course. Especially the wrestlers.

Oh, and he’d get decimated by the top 5-10 at WW.

MMA Math is shit and useless as fuck 99% of times but you are able to look at someone’s strengths and weaknesses when you watch enough fights and the way that Conor folded against Nate Diaz who in my opinion is just a high level gatekeeper not just once but twice (he ran away for parts of the fight) then you realize that there’s an issue. I’m not saying Conor is a Can by any means but i feel like he would’ve taken some bad L’s if he went through the grinder at LW or even WW

With your last statement, I can agree.

Back