• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Im moving to the more rural Guangxi province in China

fightgirl

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
*Update* got a university gig and moving to Nanning this year.

I am possibly moving to China from living in the UK all my life. I am really excited about it but fearful that I'll feel isolated and homesick after a few months of being there. I will be tied to a contract so I can't just up and leave if it gets too much.

Anyone else done this or something similar?

*UPDATE*

I have received the job offer following my interview. I will be moving to Foshan which is in Guangdong Province. I am very excited but scared.

Last edited:
Plenty of people move to China, i-bankers and teachers being the most commonplace off the top of my head. Based on your AV and user name you seem to be a Caucasian female, so just, you know, be a huge nerd with all the other huge nerds that are Caucasian females there.

No, but I have been thinking about it.
Not sure where to go to though.

Legally or illegally?

Yes. I've lived in China for 5 years and Cambodia for a year before that.

I was bored with my normal day to day thing at the time back in the USA and just wanted to check out something else.

I got a cool job offer which led to a different job and I just sort of settled in. I'm Moving back next year though as it's just time.

I did and its hard at first but once you make friends and get use to it you will be fine

I never have always want to try it either some
where in Asia, Australia or Europe.

i've taken three solo trips to europe for around three months each time. they have been the greatest times of my life. i recommend that everyone take a solo trip on their own at least once. it was a life-changing experience for me. there is nothing like finding yourself in a foreign land. it's like discovering a new planet. you end up learning a lot about yourself and what life-in general means to you.

Yeah I remember getting off the plane on Phnom Penh, getting my visa, grabbing my backpack and being like.....ok well I need to find a place to stay and a way to get ahold of the people in starting to work for in 3 days....cool.

I got to this pretty decent hotel which wa slime 8 US dollars a night and they had a bar, I dropped off my bags and went to the bar. Instantly met a bunch of people and got absolutely smashed with them, it was a blast.

The next night o went and ate a happy pizza and had like six 32oz beers (happy pizza has weed in it) and just sort of walked around through a night market/bizarre thing and stopped at a few other bars, it was wild.

Next daube found a gym and had an aweome workout before meeting up with my employers that afternoon.

I ended up working in an orphanage teaching kids how to grow crops while also working with vaccinations and HIV testing for orphans. Taught a bit of English to them too for fun.

After awhile I went to China to take a position as a proffessor, it's been an awesome 6 years and I highly reccomend it.

My first night in China I dropped my bag and hit the streets, met up with some people who couldn't speak a word of English and I couldn't speak any Chinese and they just poured booze and beer down my through the whole ordering massive plates of bbq, I ended up maki gnout with one of the chicks and getting completely plastered and stumbling back to my apartment while the sun was rising.

Totally wild, been an awesome few years, met my wife and made a ton of friends and squirreled away a boatload of cash.

Ive spent alot of time in montreal,and i also went to europe for a few weeks,but didnt stay in one country for more than 5 days at a time...anyway id look it at as a positive oppurtunity. Make the most of it! i WISH i has the chance to spend an extended time away from everything i knew. Especially for work.

My biggest concern is that a relative will die when I'm out there and it might not be easy for me to go to their funeral.

My biggest concern is that a relative will die when I'm out there and it might not be easy for me to go to their funeral.

thats allways on my mind...but worrying about it wont do you any favors

I've spent about a month in Brazil solo each year for the past six years.

I went to prague czech rep. I would love to spend a quiet month in the old town solo.

Yup. It happened to me 2 times. I wasn't able to go to the funeral either time. It sucked but you move on, you can't love you're life worrying about what if in regards to all the details, at some point you just have to jump and see what happens.

If I stayed home because of all the little concerns I'd never have met my wife.

I am possibly moving to China from living in the UK all my life. I am really excited about it but fearful that I'll feel isolated and homesick after a few months of being there. I will be tied to a contract so I can't just up and leave if it gets too much.

Anyone else done this or something similar?

Do it.

I've been living and working in Shanghai for many years now, did it alone from the start, with zero help, barely anything on the net at that time and didn't know the language.

Now I'm HSK 6 qualified and still having an amazing time here.

Air quality is amazingly bad though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also if you do come over send me a pm and we can exchange wechat id's, help you to get a better understanding of China if you want.

Also if you do come over send me a pm and we can exchange wechat id's, help you to get a better understanding of China if you want.

Sounds good. I think the school I may be going to is in Foshan, near Guangdong.

Back