I'm looking for some great boxing quotes

" To be a great champion you must believe you are the best. If you're not, pretend you are" - Muhammad Ali

"To see a man beaten not by a better opponent but by himself is a tragedy"
- Cus D'Amato

Floyd Mayweather, Jr recently said something that is p good:

"The only man that can beat me is the man in the mirror."

"I can lick any son of a bitch in the house".

John L. Sullivan.

I really like this by Tyson from his documentary:

"When I come out I have supreme confidence. But I'm scared to death. I'm afraid. I'm afraid of everything. I'm afraid of losing. I'm afraid of being humiliated. But I'm confident. The closer I get to the ring the more confident I get. The closer, the more confident. All during training I've been afraid of this man. I think this man might be capable of beating me. I've dreamed of him beating me. For that I've always stayed afraid of him. The closer I get to the ring the more confident I get. Once I'm in the ring I'm a god. No one could beat me."

PBF: 'The only man that can beat me is the man in the mirror'

Edit: Already posted.

"It takes more than a left hook and a bad haircut to beat Lennox Lewis"

"My writing is nothing, my boxing is everything." Ernest Hemingway

The biggest test is gonna be when it's fight night and everybody goes down those three steps and you're left in there with the baddest man on the planet, Bernard Hopkins, and my credentials, and I'm coming in there and the first punch that's thrown is a punch that's letting you know from me that this is gonna be either a short night or a slow death.

"i eat cold eels and think distant thoughts" - Jack Johnson

Tyson:"I broke my back"
Interviewer: "What does that mean? "
Tyson : My back is broken"

Tyson: "I was gonna rip his heart out. I'm the best ever. I'm the most brutal and vicious, the most ruthless champion there has ever been. No one can stop me. Lennox is a conqueror? No! He's no Alexander! I'm Alexander! I'm the best ever. I'm Sonny Liston. I'm Jack Dempsey. There's never been anyone like me. I'm from their cloth. There is no one who can match me. My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable, and I'm just ferocious. I want his heart! I want to eat his children! Praise be to Allah!"

“He's a fighter with a big, big heart. But he provoked me." - Wlad K

Tyson: I'll fuck you till you love me, *********

"Say my name" - Ali

Last edited:
So much great stuff here, thanks a lot guys! Anyone know where to go for visual references?

"No Mas"
- Roberto Duran

no-dog.jpg

Duran never actually said that.
What he did say was along the lines of ''I'm not going to fight with this fucking clown.''

''A champion is someone that gets up when he can't'' - Jack Dempsey

That, accompanied by Dempsey being knocked out of the ring by Firpo would be a good one.

"i eat cold eels and think distant thoughts" - Jack Johnson

Tyson:"I broke my back"
Interviewer: "What does that mean? "
Tyson : My back is broken"

Tyson: "I was gonna rip his heart out. I'm the best ever. I'm the most brutal and vicious, the most ruthless champion there has ever been. No one can stop me. Lennox is a conqueror? No! He's no Alexander! I'm Alexander! I'm the best ever. I'm Sonny Liston. I'm Jack Dempsey. There's never been anyone like me. I'm from their cloth. There is no one who can match me. My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable, and I'm just ferocious. I want his heart! I want to eat his children! Praise be to Allah!"

I don't remember exactly but Joe Fraizier said something like:

"boxing is the only sport that gets your brain shook.... your money took and gets you in the undertakers book"

Joe Frazier once met fellow-boxer Ken Norton at a social gathering.

Frazier: Hey man, what you been doing?
Norton: My wife just had a baby.
Frazier? Congratulations! Whose baby is it?

Forty years after his heyday, an old opponent met Willie Pep on the street. "Do you recognise me?" he asked. Willie looked hard and considered before finally replying "Lie down so I can recognise you."

Willie Pep: I've got it made. I've got a wife and a TV set -- and they're both working.

Tony Galento (when asked about the Bard of Avon): "Shakespeare? I ain't never heard of him. I suppose he's one of them foreign heavyweights. They're all lousy. Sure as hell I'll moider de bum."

Tommy Farr: Every time I hear the name Joe Louis my nose starts to bleed.

Last edited:
Back