I'm lightweight and I get thrown in a clinch against bigger guys...any advice?

D

DKM76

I'm about 5'8" and 145 lbs. So most of the guys I end up sparring with are bigger. I was sparring this guy today who was about 6'0" and 175 lbs. I was successfully able to get inside and throw upper cuts and then clinch and knees. Clinch is where the problem came in, he would just grab and throw me to the floor regardless of how good the clinch was. anyone else face this?

If he threw you to the floor it's because you're trying to stand up too tall to him. You being lower should make it harder for him to thow you down. You are pretty skinny, but even so if you bend your knees you should have a lower center of gravity. Get in tight to his body, blast the uppercuts, if you knee also knee to his thighs and try to give him a Charlie Horse. Elbows to the rib-cage are wonderful. And YOU should be muscling HIM around, push upward from under his arms or even under his rib-cage and you should be able to move him relatively easily depending on how good the bigger-man is at using leverage in the clinch.

what kabuki said is right on, but if you are working w/an experienced boxer you will have to be willing to fight for the position; you won't be able to just move him around easily...

King Kabuki said:
If he threw you to the floor it's because you're trying to stand up too tall to him. You being lower should make it harder for him to thow you down. You are pretty skinny, but even so if you bend your knees you should have a lower center of gravity. Get in tight to his body, blast the uppercuts, if you knee also knee to his thighs and try to give him a Charlie Horse. Elbows to the rib-cage are wonderful. And YOU should be muscling HIM around, push upward from under his arms or even under his rib-cage and you should be able to move him relatively easily depending on how good the bigger-man is at using leverage in the clinch.

I am gonna try that out next time because one of the problem was that while he was lifting and throwing, I was trying hard to keep my feet on the ground and give him resistance, so my knees and ankle got twisted from him trying to twist my body away :eek: So right now, I think I am going to be out for a few weeks. Last time something like this happened, I tore my ACL in a similar situation and ended up in surgery. This time, my knees are not swollen, so I am hoping it's nothing major.

Best advice I can give you is tell your partner it is only sparring and they need to lighten up if they are throwing you so hard that you are ripping acl's and such.....

DKM76 said:
I'm about 5'8" and 145 lbs. So most of the guys I end up sparring with are bigger. I was sparring this guy today who was about 6'0" and 175 lbs. I was successfully able to get inside and throw upper cuts and then clinch and knees. Clinch is where the problem came in, he would just grab and throw me to the floor regardless of how good the clinch was. anyone else face this?

Work on leg and core strength (squats/deadlifts/cleans); do more pure clinch
"grappling" with a strong partner.

i outweigh the guy who i used to train with the most by around 50 Lbs..and i threw him around at first..but he was able to get used to it and it was a lot harder after we trained for a while...i noticed get became really good at slipping and coming into a hard clench so that i wasn't able to throw him because my hands were tied up when ever i came inside.....he also spent a massive amount of time working on footwork and speed so i couldn't get in there....we just trained for exercise though so really didn't go that hard....you situation might be different.

get one of ur legs forward in between his legs so ur hip is against his groin , makes it real easy to control even much bigger guys. im 5'6 and i was throwin around a guy whose like 6'2 with it.

you could also hold the body tight then use your chin or jaw and bother him with it while also throwing knees to his legs

NoSmilez said:
you could also hold the body tight then use your chin or jaw and bother him with it while also throwing knees to his legs

I spar again tomorrow so I'll try out a few of these suggestions. Where do you train in NYC?

Back