I'm going to begin training soon, but I need some big advice.

ryanvolta

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
I've finally found a dojo around here that I want to check out, and they actually have a mixed martial arts specific program.

www.empiremma.com

This will be the start of my training, and I had a couple questions to ask before I start getting into any of it. Will these MMA classes be a good start? Or should I focus on a specific art, such as Muay Thai with a Muay Thai specific trainer, and then also take Jiu Jitsu classes with a JJ specific trainer?

Or should I just take the MMA program with the MMA trainer, and if I were to ever get really good competitively and this became my top priority, (don't get me wrong, i'm entering the MMA world with the intent of going as far as I can with it) move on to art-specific trainers, instead of taking a hybrid class such as at this Empire place?

I went with MT first, and actualy at this point im a bit more intrested to do just MT matches then MMA. personaly i would train the art-specific, but you have to also realize that MT in MMA is a bit diffrent as you have to be ready for take downs and stuff. the way i look at it though is its better to learn the "art" then hybrid it the way your comfortable in the ring/cage then to learn the MMA "hybird" type MT(or w/e striking art you train) and not fully understand the art on its own.

this is my opinion though, im sure others will say get the rounded courses so you can train in mma and not just one art.

Any other opinions?

I'm thinking what you said sounds like a good idea, but I just want to see what the general concensus might be. I just want to make sure I do this the "right" way, if there is a right way to begin with.

Thanks.

I agree with T.J.T. personally.

I've come across many people who studied the "hybrid" styles, but never seemed to have a good fundamentals understanding of anything - jack of all trades, master of none.

Maybe its because they are learning so many new things at once, I don't know. The people who I know who trained one thing for a few years, then added something else, always ended up better rounded, plus they trained harder - the new art was refreshing to add to the old one.

Awesome then, I've got a clear goal of what I want to do now.

I'm going to put all my heart into Muay Thai (6'3" with super long arms and legs, you bet I'm going to take advantage of it) and see where it takes me.

However, i'm sure it can't hurt to also take some Jiu-Jitsu lessons on the side while climbing my way up in Muay Thai right? Just anything but the hybrid MMA stuff.

^the opinions here are good. i myself, started kali/mt/boxing, then moved in bjj and an now just getting into mma. its funny cuz the guys at my new mma school think i'm really good, even though i really am not

If you've already found a gym, try out all the classes and see which you like best

when you enter any gym.
dont go in and tell them..im training to become the next ultimate fighter or something to that extent....

(im not saying you would do this..just a tip)

you could get labeled as a pre-madonna or something of that sort...

say you want to sign up to stay fit and in shape..and want to participate in a good sport...

Awesome then, I've got a clear goal of what I want to do now.

I'm going to put all my heart into Muay Thai (6'3" with super long arms and legs, you bet I'm going to take advantage of it) and see where it takes me.

However, i'm sure it can't hurt to also take some Jiu-Jitsu lessons on the side while climbing my way up in Muay Thai right? Just anything but the hybrid MMA stuff.

sure why not. you can take 2 diff class's theres no harm.

Well, thanks a bunch I appreciate all of the help and advice. I can't wait to begin my training :D

fedor mastered judo then incorporated strikes in sambo, bj penn, a black belt in bjj, randy couture almost an olympian in greco-wrestling.

not only you're developing specific skills in an art, but you're also gaining confidence and experience in a fighting sport.

I agree with T.J.T. personally.

I've come across many people who studied the "hybrid" styles, but never seemed to have a good fundamentals understanding of anything - jack of all trades, master of none.

Maybe its because they are learning so many new things at once, I don't know. The people who I know who trained one thing for a few years, then added something else, always ended up better rounded, plus they trained harder - the new art was refreshing to add to the old one.

Took the words right out of my mouth. Stick with a single art for a while. Maybee a year an a half or so. Compete in some amatuer bouts and then start cross training.

I've finally found a dojo around here that I want to check out, and they actually have a mixed martial arts specific program.

www.empiremma.com

This will be the start of my training, and I had a couple questions to ask before I start getting into any of it. Will these MMA classes be a good start? Or should I focus on a specific art, such as Muay Thai with a Muay Thai specific trainer, and then also take Jiu Jitsu classes with a JJ specific trainer?

Or should I just take the MMA program with the MMA trainer, and if I were to ever get really good competitively and this became my top priority, (don't get me wrong, i'm entering the MMA world with the intent of going as far as I can with it) move on to art-specific trainers, instead of taking a hybrid class such as at this Empire place?

What are you aiming for? general practice or you wanna fight?

Back