I'm Free, White and 21: The Buried Catchphrase of Classic Hollywood

TidWell

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

“Free, white, and 21” appeared in dozens of movies in the ‘30s and ‘40s, a proud assertion that positioned white privilege as the ultimate argument-stopper. It was a catchphrase of the decade, as blandly ubiquitous as any modern meme: a way for white America to check its own privilege and feel exhilarated rather than finding fault.

The Rise and Fall of an All-American Catchphrase: 'Free, White, and 21'

https://pictorial.jezebel.com/the-rise-and-fall-of-an-all-american-catchphrase-free-1729621311

I know a buncha people that still say it, none of them are from Hollywood though

"The saying emerged around 1828, when property ownership was removed as a prerequisite for suffrage, and voters needed only be free, white, and 21 "

fuck jezebel. They only talk about race when it benefits them.

I'm gonna start printing t-shirts with this meme on it.

Unfortunately, I’m married, white and 36. But yes, all white people know that their life likely would have been worse than it currently is if they were black. That doesn’t mean they cannot be the victim of circumstance as well. But I think that they think it means that. So they want to pretend as if their shitty life is proof white privilege doesn’t exist. Plus, they just hate black people. Who doesn’t, ami right? No? Shit.

Jezebel...Also does ts have his own thoughts on this?

Very interesting read, makes me want to watch The World, The Flesh, and The Devil

When I first moved to Mexico, I was drinking on the beach in Puerto Penasco with some locals. I told them I was born in Poland and raised in BC. They said, "Really? I thought you were white."

“Free, white, and 21” appeared in dozens of movies in the ‘30s and ‘40s, a proud assertion that positioned white privilege as the ultimate argument-stopper. It was a catchphrase of the decade, as blandly ubiquitous as any modern meme: a way for white America to check its own privilege and feel exhilarated rather than finding fault.

The Rise and Fall of an All-American Catchphrase: 'Free, White, and 21'

https://pictorial.jezebel.com/the-rise-and-fall-of-an-all-american-catchphrase-free-1729621311

My mom likes old movies and told me about this long ago. Forgot about it. Thanks for the reminder.

Mighty white of ya brother. Mighty white of ya.

"I'm fat, white and can make you star if you get on your knees"

The buried Hollywood catchphrase of Harvey Weinstein which was last said to Jennifer Lawrence.

"I'm fat, white and can make you star if you get on your knees"

The buried Hollywood catchphrase of Harvey Weinstein which was last said to Jennifer Lawrence.

Harvet is not white though

he is in the us unless you are a white nationalist or something who doesnt consider jews white.

Wow dude come down with the assumptions. You basically called me a Nazi right away. Lol
I am not from US.

Wow dude come down with the assumptions. You basically called me a Nazi right away. Lol
I am not from US.
I didnt mean you personally, I was speaking generally as far as people in the US go.

Jezebel...
A Gawker blog...

hoganlegdrop.jpg

Interesting meme. Made me think of Morgan Freeman in Lean on Me saying "I don't have to do nothin' but stay black and die!"

he is in the us unless you are a white nationalist or something who doesnt consider jews white.
Wait, are Jews considered white? I thought Jews and Arabs were both Semitic peoples...

Back