I'm embarrassed that I didnt know about the Citizens United vs FEC

ctrlaltdelete

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
This was back in 2010.
The case arose after Citizens United, a conservative non profit organization, sought to air and advertise a film critical of democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton shortly before the 2008 Democratic national elections. This would have been a violation of the 2002 Bipartisan Campaign reform act, which prohibited any corporation or labor union from making an "electioneering communication" within 30 days of a primary or 60 days of an election, or making any expenditure advocating the election or defeat of a candidate at any time."

The ruling effectively freed labor unions and corporations to spend money on electioneering communications and to directly advocate for the election or defeat of candidates.

In his dissenting opinion, Associate Justice John Paul Stevens argued that the Court's ruling represented "a rejection of the common sense of the American people, who have recognized a need to prevent corporations from undermining self government."

The decision remains highly controversial, generating much public discussion and receiving strong support and opposition from various groups. Senator Mitch McConnell commended the decision, arguing that it represented "an important step in the direction of restoring the First Amendment rights". By contrast, President Barack Obama stated that the decision "gives the special interests and their lobbyists even more power in Washington". The ruling had a major impact on campaign finance, allowing unlimited election spending by corporations and labor unions and fueling the rise of Super PACs. Later rulings by the Roberts Court, including McCutcheon v. FEC (2014), would strike down other campaign finance restrictions.

President Barack Obama stated that the decision "gives the special interests and their lobbyists even more power in Washington—while undermining the influence of average Americans who make small contributions to support their preferred candidates".[61] Obama later elaborated in his weekly radio address saying, "this ruling strikes at our democracy itself" and "I can't think of anything more devastating to the public interest".[62] On January 27, 2010, Obama further condemned the decision during the 2010 State of the Union Address, stating that, "Last week, the Supreme Court reversed a century of law[63] to open the floodgates for special interests—including foreign corporations—to spend without limit in our elections. Well, I don't think American elections should be bankrolled by America's most powerful interests, or worse, by foreign entities." On television, the camera shifted to a shot of the SCOTUS judges in the front row directly in front of the President while he was making this statement, and Justice Samuel Alito was frowning, shaking his head side to side while mouthing the words "Not true"

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, a plaintiff in the earlier related decision McConnell v. FEC, said:[42][43]

For too long, some in this country have been deprived of full participation in the political process. With today’s monumental decision, the Supreme Court took an important step in the direction of restoring the First Amendment rights of these groups by ruling that the Constitution protects their right to express themselves about political candidates and issues up until Election Day. By previously denying this right, the government was picking winners and losers. Our democracy depends upon free speech, not just for some but for all.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citizens_United_v._FEC

Is this good for the country?

Last edited:
This was back in 2010.

President Barack Obama stated that the decision "gives the special interests and their lobbyists even more power in Washington—while undermining the influence of average Americans who make small contributions to support their preferred candidates".[61] Obama later elaborated in his weekly radio address saying, "this ruling strikes at our democracy itself" and "I can't think of anything more devastating to the public interest".[62] On January 27, 2010, Obama further condemned the decision during the 2010 State of the Union Address, stating that, "Last week, the Supreme Court reversed a century of law[63] to open the floodgates for special interests—including foreign corporations—to spend without limit in our elections. Well, I don't think American elections should be bankrolled by America's most powerful interests, or worse, by foreign entities." On television, the camera shifted to a shot of the SCOTUS judges in the front row directly in front of the President while he was making this statement, and Justice Samuel Alito was frowning, shaking his head side to side while mouthing the words "Not true"

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, a plaintiff in the earlier related decision McConnell v. FEC, said:[42][43]

For too long, some in this country have been deprived of full participation in the political process. With today’s monumental decision, the Supreme Court took an important step in the direction of restoring the First Amendment rights of these groups by ruling that the Constitution protects their right to express themselves about political candidates and issues up until Election Day. By previously denying this right, the government was picking winners and losers. Our democracy depends upon free speech, not just for some but for all.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citizens_United_v._FEC

Is this good for the country?

Citizens united was the final gunshot in the death of America. The right wildly applauded it.

Unlimited monetary corruption in our democracy = good

Marginalized groups having human rights = bad

This basically summarizes the entirety of the rights framework.

lmfao ^^^

Not only did he enrich that power he hid it and blamed his opposition while exploiting the shit out of that power. Pretty sure this has been grilled good here in the WR years ago. Obama tried to call it out while he was using it....

Anything that opens up the 1st amendment is good even for corporations and unions.

lmfao ^^^

Not only did he enrich that power he hid it and blamed his opposition while exploiting the shit out of that power. Pretty sure this has been grilled good here in the WR years ago. Obama tried to call it out while he was using it....

Obama was such a snake

Obama was such a snake

Voted for him twice.

I loved the dude, and he fucking lied like it was kosher as hell.

I only wonder if the folks that freakishly support him still think he's a saint....

My roommate is half Yemenis and Ethiopian. Hates Obama for the Saudi genocide of the people of Yemen.

He filled me in good

Meh, so long as political donations arent capped to a reasonable level and bulk donation activities arent banned it's all a joke anyways.

Donations should be limited to individuals, and limited to 2500 per person, per year total. No 25k dinners, no 100k meet and greets, no unions, no corporate donations, no special groups, none of that shit. And honestly, the money you donate should only be allowed to be spent in the state you live in, prevent that stupid 'money pouring in from across America' shit we have seen in special elections the past few years.

Back