If your fighter has no chance, why not throw in the towel?

Super_Nintendo

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Title fight or not, if a fighter has no reasonable chance at defending themself, why are coaches sending their walking corpse into the next rounds to take more damage? I'm aware of comebacks, but there's a point where a fighter's just a sitting duck and a punching bag.

So tired of this trope.

giphy.gif

REX_weekend_at_bernies_kab_140129_16x9_992.jpg

It's hard to call though because so many incredible things happen in fights right. Like, things turn around in a split-second, often.

There’s always that “anything can happen” thing and crazy shit does happen. However, if I truly cared for my fighter, I personally would recognize at a certain point when they’ve had enough and the risk for significant damage is far higher than the chance of a miracle.

do you expect compassion and good decision making from tiki and rener? Their cash cow is going to be slurring by 35. Actually think it could have easily and possibly should have been called by the ref when he couldn't make it to his stool on his own.

With Ortega, dude almost always has a chance with his crazy subs.

Plus, he actually came back in the 5th and was trading with Volk quite well.

With Ortega, dude almost always has a chance with his crazy subs.

Plus, he actually came back in the 5th and was trading with Volk quite well.

Yeah he still had legit shots to win, not big chances but he was still dangerous.

I think Ortega also shows his damage more than other fighters.

Like when Raquel Pennington was getting destroyed for four rounds. Told her corner that she was done. Essentially begging to stop the fight but they sent her out there to get destroyed more and then finished.

A lot of precedents where corners or fighters quit have had such detrimental effects on their stock and reputation that fighters are taking pointless years off their brain. I think fans contribute to this

Some fighters want to be a warrior, similar situation as if they tried to finish a super endurance marathon

And they don't want to hear "you quit" pandering by fans like Black Beast in that Gane fight

Eh if my coach threw in the towel I’d fire his ass like Deontay Wilder did

He came back and won the 5th. He still had opportunities to win, it would've been stopped if he was just defenseless and taking damage and not fighting back. It's for the belt, if he wanted to quit he would've. There is a difference between having no hope in winning, and this situation. In boxing they stop it because they become punching bags and could die. In mma there's a lot you can do to try and prevent damage. They don't have that option in boxing, so they stop it when it's obvious the fighter has nothing for the other fighter to try and prevent them from actually getting killed.

Back