if wrestling is so dominant...

then why are most mma gyms kickboxing/muay thai gyms?

Is it the appeal? Would people less likely sign up if it the name of the gym or dojo is wrestling based? Or is kickboxing/muay thai the main art used and wrestlers are just great athletes with a skill set that is extremely valuable in mma?
How many "wrestling gyms" do you know?
There is no "professional venue" for wrestlers. for some reason now, everyone calls real wrestling "amateur" and entertainments wrestling "professional". It's flabbergasting.
Why do you think almost all of the relevant people in AKA are grapplers/wrestlers?
Let me sum a bit, There is virtually no money in being wrestler or openings a wrestling gym. Is that clear?

Because wrestling is a lot more grueling than BJJ or kickboxing and regular joe's don't want none of that.
I wrestled throughout high school, it is grueling, but kickboxing/muay thai is way harder in terms of physical pain.
Wrestling takes a lot of endurance and heart. KB MT is way more punishing physically.
Fair enough, I can agree with that. You get my point though, most folks looking to learn self defense aren't looking to learn wrestling. It also doesn't have the aesthetic appeal of most other martial arts that people tend to go for.

Also, most places include basic wrestling techniques in other bjj/grappling classes

I'm not sure why you say 'if', as if wrestling hasn't been shown to be incredibly effective in MMA.

So nobody wants to do it even though its important?

Or that most guys rather have a built upperbody(striking), than having small upperbody and beast legs.

People dont understand how hard wrestling is, boxing and muay thai training is easy, the sparring is what sucks but most people joining the gym will never really spar.

Wrestling is balls to the walls gor 4 minutes, especially if your new your training will consist of being ragdolled by guys for a few months, the sparring isnt as bad as striking but you do it every class at the end and its rough on the body. No casual is going to want to do it..

It's comparable to no gi BJJ but in bjj you have guard and other positions you can rest in, you can never rest in wrestling.

Yeah it's like that how they have that American Kickboxing Academy gym where nobody knows how to wrestle...
DC And Cain Velasqueztwo of the best wrestlers in MMA rn that's ironic, do your research.

if wrestling is so dominant... release knees on the ground...
First sprawl, then punish the wrestler with knees...
But the rules are made to...

the average guy thats never been in a fight daydreams about knocking out big bad bullies, the idea of taking them down and smothering/subbing them on the ground isn't as sexy

I wrestled throughout high school, it is grueling, but kickboxing/muay thai is way harder in terms of physical pain.
Wrestling takes a lot of endurance and heart. KB MT is way more punishing physically.

Well obviously you are getting beat up. Most wrestlers in my experience don't like to actually fight. They be like Brock but hey they fight better than football players.

I still think wrestling is a great base though. The wrestlers in the UFC are often the strongest, most muscular, and conditioned guys in the sport. WW is filled with guys who the height to comeet at LW but compete at WW and are a mean lean and bulked effective 185lbs to 192lbs.

I attribute wrestling to why that it is. These guys often coming from college wrestling have an accumulated like 12 years of wrestling. That is 12 years of lifting weights, bulking, cutting fat, and then wate weight cutting.

Is it the appeal? Would people less likely sign up if it the name of the gym or dojo is wrestling based? Or is kickboxing/muay thai the main art used and wrestlers are just great athletes with a skill set that is extremely valuable in mma?

Because when people think of fighting they think of punching/kicking, until they get into a real fight and get thrown on their back and pounded into ground horse meat.

There are amateur wrestling gyms. You just showed that you don't know how to google and wrote the first thing to come to your mind.

Because when people think of fighting they think of punching/kicking, until they get into a real fight and get thrown on their back and pounded into ground horse meat.
This isnt 1990, people are well aware of the abilities of wrestling.

I think it has to do with what someone said earlier, that wrestling is a sport in school and it doesnt make business sense to advertise something you can join at your community college.

For marketing/advertising kickboxing sounds a lot cooler than wrestleing
Martial Arts are designed to work on multiple opponents at the same time. You can only wrestle one opponent at the time. Its for this reason I say jui jitsu is vastly overrated for self defense. I am under the opinion nobody was doing it because its simply ineffective against multiple opponents. Why train that unless you only have to worry about one opponent? So to convince people jiu jitsu is the best get your kid in here teach him how to roll they had the UFC to show how effectice it is in one on one scenerio. If its !990 and I can choose Mike Tyson or Royce Gracie to defend myself against 6 guys in a back alley im not choosing Royce Gracie. Not a single thought would be givent to choose Royce in that case.

I can say for a fact that most people boycott wrestling classes because they cant handle the drills.

if wrestling is so dominant... release knees on the ground...
First sprawl, then punish the wrestler with knees...
But the rules are made to...

I think knees to the head of downed fighters will eventually be fully legal. The new rules that start on January 1st 2017 do allow knees and kicks to fighters who arent completely down. So the putting your hand on the mat shit won't work anymore and you can get kneed in the head.

I do agree though that the lack up upkicks, kidney kicks in guard, 12-6 elbows, knees to grounded opponents, and soccer kicks do benefit grapplers.

I'd you fail a takedown and get sprawled on you are in a perfect position to get kneed in the head or soccer kicked. If you got a guy against the cage with your head in his side and he has his back to the cage and you are trying for the takedowns, you are in a perfect position to get elbowed 12-6 in the head. And if back of the head shots were legal and 12-6 elbows you would see a lot of guys getting knocked via elbows to the back of the head.

But thankfully they will now allow kidney kicks in the guard. Which hurts guys in guard and helps the guys on their back. Still though full knees to the head should be legal in time and so will upkicks and 12-6 elbows. Doubt we see soccer kicks anytime though.

Of course there is the flipside. Knees to the head also help wrestlers who are good enough to get the takedown and end up in a north south position or sidemount. Mark Coleman was a beast at knees to the head of grounded opponents as was Kevin Randleman.

Coleman beat Igor via knees to the head after taking Igor down. Of course Igor did beat Mark Kerr via knees to head after a failed takedown but only after Kerr gassed.

And of course Coleman did lose to Cro Cop after failing a takedown getting soccer kicked and then finished with punches. Cro cop also beat huge wrestler Ron Waterman with soccer kicks.

So it depends. Wanderlei beat a lot of people with soccer kicks, stomps or knees after they failed takedowns. And so did Shogun.

Most accomplished wrestlers started at a young age, grade school or middle school (some as young as 4 or 5)). By the time they are done wrestling at college, they have been wrestling for 10 to 15 yrs. Between drills in practice and actual matches they have executed thousands of takedowns, sprawls, escapes, head and arm throws, butchers, leg rides, granby rolls and so on. When they transition to MMA, they need to learn kickboxing and muay thai and bjj. Just like bjj experts moving to mma need to learn kickboxing and muay thai.

I can say for a fact that most people boycott wrestling classes because they cant handle the drills.
There are no wrestling classes in schools where I came from. I would have enjoyed wrestling. I can see how it would be a lot easier to spar and training striking than it would be to grapple for an hour practice. Thats really draining and not very comfortable.

Martial Arts are designed to work on multiple opponents at the same time. You can only wrestle one opponent at the time. Its for this reason I say jui jitsu is vastly overrated for self defense. I am under the opinion nobody was doing it because its simply ineffective against multiple opponents. Why train that unless you only have to worry about one opponent? So to convince people jiu jitsu is the best get your kid in here teach him how to roll they had the UFC to show how effectice it is in one on one scenerio. If its !990 and I can choose Mike Tyson or Royce Gracie to defend myself against 6 guys in a back alley im not choosing Royce Gracie. Not a single thought would be givent to choose Royce in that case.

1 on 1 fights happen too yknow

to train wrestling all you gotta do is yell "woooo!" and "oh yeah, brother!"

Back