• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

If Tony loses to Gaethje, he could still be better than Khabib

Yeah, he's like 10.3654% better. They don't need to fight. Discuss.......!!!

Of course he can. Whether he's better or worse can only be determined in a match vs Khabib.

Poirier > Cerrone
Conor > Pettis
Al > Lee
Barboza = Barboza, Tony hit Edson with an illegal upkick though.
RDA = RDA, but I'd argue Khabib's win over RDA was better at this point.
Vannata > Horcher
Thomson > Healy
Castillo > Tavares, but it was a split decision win.
Trujillo = Trujillo
Tibau = Tibau

Tony lost to MJ, and also has 2 losses before the UFC.
You can't say the same for Khabib, and you also can't make the 'padded record' argument here either because most of Tony's opponents pre-UFC were cans as well.

Khabib has better wins over better opponents, and he also has no losses. Yeah the difference isn't huge, but Khabib's resume is still pretty clearly better if you look at their records side-by-side.

This is without considering how competitive their fights were. Tony was nearly finished by Vannata, Khabib ran through Horcher, and you can go on and on, etc...
Healy was way better than JT at that point of their careers
he was on a 7 wins streak including a win over Jim Miller in his last fight

tony will always be second best to khabib deal with it

I think Gaethje is a dangerous fight for anybody. Honestly, out of the guys at the top, I think Conor is the only bad matchup for Gaethje. I think it's very possible he knocks out Tony and Khabib. I also think he'll stand with Conor to try and prove a point and get destroyed.

So to answer your question, yes. It's possible Tony is still better than Khabib even if he loses to Gaethje. In order to find out who's better between Tony and Khabib they would actually need to fight eachother.

i think they could both beat habib

If tony loses to justin(which i think he will) and ig khabib gets past justin he would still have to face tony. Khabib is great and i am not mad at him not fighting this time but he wont be GOAT LW if he doesnt fight and beat Tony.

True.

Styles make fights.

Tony eats a lot of shots, Justin is a power puncher.

He could get caught. There is always a chance.

This is why this match up sucks... Tony is the only legit threat to Khabib, way more than Justin.
So you just want Khabib to lose ?

It’s about time Tony fights a top 5 opponent....it’s been awhile

Even if Tony wins, he still needs to do more to reach Khabib.

Let's be honest, this is the first contender Tony is fighting in years, his last three fights all of the fighters were not even top 5.

What if Tony loses to Gaethje and then Gaethje loses to Khabib ? Khabib will still be the best and poor old Tony will always be second best just like Khabib said.

Of course, no mma fight is ever 100% certain and flukes happen all the time, Khabib vs Conor being a prime example.

Back